Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

any chance of a sub tournie?

Options
  • 08-04-2009 6:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭

Well?

It's been ages since the UCD one, I'd say I'm not the only one whos hankering for more competition mat time.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 859 ✭✭✭BobbyOLeary

Then organise one yourself. I'm not being smart but just go and do it, nobody cares who runs a sub wrestling comp really as long as the refs are decent enough (you can probably convince the coaches of the competing clubs for this job). As far as I know the next sub tourney is the Intervarsities on April 19th.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭Chris89

Yeah, ill just have it in my back garden sure.

EDIT: Even if i did somehow hold one, I'd awfully like to compete in one, hence the thread, would be pretty hard to run it and roll.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭Roper

Hi folks,

I'm just waiting on some dates and some solid information but I am planning to hold one in late May or early June. More info to follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Clive

Will it be in your back garden?

We could have a barbeque afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

Hold it up on top of a mountain like that yoke that was a joke from the cork lads.

• Advertisement

Im in no position to hold one, hopefully ropers one goes ahead.

I cant beleive there's not more people looking to compete, when you play football, rugby, gaa.. you have a match every weekend. you get to compete and test what you have learned in real live scenarios.

People who train jiu jistu, havent really got that over here. It is a sport.. and the best thing about sport is the competition.

I reckon thered be good numbers at each and every tournament if they were held more often. looking on the bjj belt listing thread before, theres a HUGE amount of blue belts in Ireland but seems to be so few competitions. so its definetly not for lack of opponents.

As I say, im in no position to host one, but i'd gladly pay to enter each and every one.

Chris89 wrote: »
    Im in no position to hold one

Honestly, what's stopping you? We've established that your back garden may not be an ideal venue, so:
    • Rent a hall
    • Ensure there's insurance
    • Get mats
    • Get first aid
    • Get refs
    • Get competitors
    • Get prizes
    • Enjoy the headache

Not much point in complaining about a problem if you're not willing to fix it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭Roper

Mine will probably almost definitely possibly maybe absolutely go ahead. I'm not inviting you though Chris89 you disagreed with me about kettlebells once and I also heard 89 isn't your real surname.

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭David Jones

The main disincentive to running a sub tournie is not breaking even due to failure of people to show up after commiting by text or email or whatever. The last tournament i ran 4 teams didnt bother to show after individuals from their clubs said yeah we will have a team. If i run one again in future it will be online registration only and no "oh yeah we'll be there, ok to pay on the day?" Im not looking to make money if i was i wouldnt be putting up prize money or giving out drinks and bars for each competitor, but i would hope not to be down 100 after such an event because in typical irish fashion the no shows dont think of the consequences of agreeing to turn up and then not doing so. The only safe method is to make people pay first and we as a nation dont like doing that either.

Clive wrote: »
    Honestly, what's stopping you? We've established that your back garden may not be an ideal venue, so:
    • Rent a hall
    • Ensure there's insurance
    • Get mats
    • Get first aid
    • Get refs
    • Get competitors
    • Get prizes
    • Enjoy the headache

Not much point in complaining about a problem if you're not willing to fix it.

Really???

who in their right mind would want to come to chris89's jiu jitsu extravaganza, in bray parrochial hall, with nearly new jiu jitsu mats.

credentials? yeah i have loads....
    come on down.

And there very much is a point in moaning.

• Advertisement

What "credentials" do you need to put on a grappling tournament?

It's not a seminar, people don't come to see the organiser.

Start small, then work your way up as the reputation of the tournament expands.

And just to prove that I'm not just trying to be an ass - if you were to organise a tournament (assuming it was properly run - first aid, insurance etc) I'd be more than happy to volunteer to referee for the princely sum of one cup of coffee and one mars bar.

Advertisement