Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland - a nation of farters.

Options
  • 08-04-2009 6:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭

reading a blog by an American woman in Ireland she says we're a nation of farters.
    I don't think she's the first person to notice this, there was a lot of threads on this after the smoking ban came in.
    I agree with her on this and would even say that Irish people have bad hygiene in general - not flossing or showering every day.

http://thinkofmeoften.blogspot.com/

"Let's talk about farts.

When I first got to Ireland, the first couple of pubs I walked into, my first thought was, "Yeesh! Yikes! It kinda smells like farts in here!" I thought it was a coincidence, like maybe it just happened that the few places I went into happened to have plumbing problems.

However, now that I've been here over three months, I can say, *WITH CONFIDENCE* that Ireland has a farting issue. It's not the plumbing. People let their business out here all over the place. In the pub, as the night progresses, it just gets stronger. And it's not just the pubs. Today in the movie theater, before the movie started, you could hear someone farting. And then by the time the film was over, you could smell the smell of gas so strong, we couldn't wait to get the hell out of there

PEOPLE IN IRELAND LOVE TO FART. There, I've said it."

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Samurai

i smell my own farts

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

We are a nation that at times cares and shares! lol

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Samurai wrote: »
    i smell my own farts

I smell other peoples

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Yeah well at least we're not American.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,570 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Maybe the bloke that was with her was a farter!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

Do Americans not fart? That might explain why lots of them are obese when they don't release all this free air.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

i would agree somewhat but only to the weekend after the smoking ban, we went into a pub/nightclub and the smell of BO and farts was discusting, come the following week we were overpowered by the smell of lynx brands.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Maybe it was a typo, farmers, farters... easy mistake to make. It would also explain the hygiene issues she experienced, just sayin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

parp, get out and walk

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

I never noticed that..:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

at least we are not a nation of queefs, thats discusting!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

It's the Guinness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

I cleared an open air bar in Rome once. True story. Gonna tell that one to the grandkids.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I smell other peoples
    I smell dead peoples.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,973 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Apparently its customary in other parts of the world to go outside or to the bathroom when you wish to pass gas. In case of emergency, one can also lieu to force it back up into their colon for a short period of time until an opportunity to release the toxin safely into the atmosphere presents itself.

News to me.

Overheal wrote: »
    Apparently its customary in other parts of the world to go outside or to the bathroom when you wish to pass gas. In case of emergency, one can also lieu to force it back up into their colon for a short period of time until an opportunity to release the toxin safely into the atmosphere presents itself.

News to me.
    But in Ireland it's customary to let the wind blow free, wherever you may be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

It was them who came up with this bloody advert! Now if you don't mind, I have to go pass some gas outside!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Scawgeen

It's an innocent breeze that comes from the heart and ignorant people call it a fart ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 82,973 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

kelle wrote: »
    But in Ireland it's customary to let the wind blow free, wherever you may be.
    customarily, you lived in hovels though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Up de Barrs

There's nothing wrong with letting rip a good auld fart. She's obviously never been dutch ovened.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

If you hold in your farts you'll spontaneously combust.

Those people who she said were farting in the pub are just trying to prevent themselves from having a horrible combustion death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

I was in the Rathmines Inn last night and had taken on a good cargo of Guinness.There was a table full of skittish ladies nearby and just as I quaffed my 8th pint, I unloaded a particularly heavy spluttery watery fart which,I'm ashamed to say, stopped all conversation dead.

One of the ladies stood up and ripped out a phhhifter that could be cut up and served hot.!!!!

The whole episode finished with a round of applause.

That American was right.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

At least were not fat and unintelligent

Ehm, excellent observation there, poster.

Bet you never suffer stomach pains Flutterin Bantam.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

landyman wrote: »
    At least were not fat and unintelligent
    Speak for yourself.

Anyway, I blame the cabbage and cornflakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,945 ✭✭✭trout

There may be mention of a Fart Tax in the Finance Bill, or possibly the next Budget.

Think about it ... it will affect everyone, generate lots of revenue and have a positive impact on the environment.

Pesky Greens and their imaginative Carbon solutions.

Something like 10c for every cubic litre of fart gas. Of course, we'll all have to have little gasometers installed in our cax.

kelle wrote: »
    Bet you never suffer stomach pains Flutterin Bantam.

Au contraire Kelle,was ambling down Dawson St the other day and got a fairly severe cramp, and a fair auld sting in the lower gut. Had to nip into Cafe en Seine and back out a "loose one" in the cludgie.

A good walk is your only man if you are a bit bound, but always make sure you are close to dropping area.

Thanks for your concern.

I was in the Rathmines Inn last night and had taken on a good cargo of Guinness.There was a table full of skittish ladies nearby and just as I quaffed my 8th pint, I unloaded a particularly heavy spluttery watery fart which,I'm ashamed to say, stopped all conversation dead.

One of the ladies stood up and ripped out a phhhifter that could be cut up and served hot.!!!!

The whole episode finished with a round of applause.

That American was right.
    You could say your eyes met across a cloud of methane
    A good walk is your only man if you are a bit bound, but always make sure you are close to dropping area.

"Plugáilte" my great-aunt described it.
    Thanks for your advice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Beer farts smell way worse than the guinness farts...i know!!

Love the smell of my own farts, farting just makes me laugh! And then when someone else laughs its even funnier!

Advertisement