Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile i.p info

• 08-04-2009 6:34pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭

How much info would someone be able to gain from your Mobile i.p address?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Nowso wrote: »
    How much info would someone be able to gain from your Mobile i.p address?

As much as they would with a non-mobile ip address. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭IH77

I suppose possibly nothing about you personally if you are a pre-paid user and you haven't registered your details with the network?

Its got nothing to do with pre- or post-paid.

You can find out general info, like who is your ISP, what country you are in, etc.

Nothing personal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

I think your phone serial number can be read from the phone

Davy wrote: »
    I think your phone serial number can be read from the phone

Careful now, don't want to be scaring people. :)

IP addressing was designed long before mobile phones were invented. There is no direct association between a device type and an IP address.

Some kind of software, can probably read the serial number (do you mean IMEI number?), but that doesn't really have anything to do with the IP address.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

i understand that, and i wasnt trying to scare anyone ;)

Was just stating it can be read, it might only be have certain phones though. And ye the imei can be read also. Its no big deal really

Davy wrote: »
    i understand that, and i wasnt trying to scare anyone ;)

Was just stating it can be read, it might only be have certain phones though. And ye the imei can be read also. Its no big deal really

But, just to be clear, reading the IMEI has nothing to do with an IP address. You can't get the IMEI from the IP address.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭estreetb

does this mean that by registering your phone anyone can find personal info about you from your IP

what info exactly can people find?

is it possible to register the handset(imei) without registering the number

i recently purchased the nokia 5800 from vodafone but havent registered yet as i might switch networks due to poor data plan and then register with new network

if i stay with voda and register to use the 360 service does that mean that people could access my contacts etc by simply knowing my IP

this seems to defeat the purpose of registering

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    But, just to be clear, reading the IMEI has nothing to do with an IP address. You can't get the IMEI from the IP address.
    What Tom says, to do otherwise you'd need to hack into the operators network and track down what IMEI is maintaining an packet connection with xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx IP address.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

estreetb wrote: »
    does this mean that by registering your phone anyone can find personal info about you from your IP

i recently purchased the nokia 5800 from vodafone but havent registered yet as i might switch networks due to poor data plan and then register with new network

if i stay with voda and register to use the 360 service does that mean that people could access my contacts etc by simply knowing my IP

Yes. :rolleyes:

What have you got to hide?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

No
    The IMEI gets recognised by the network whenever you do something with your mobile, SMS, MMS, Call, data connection.

People cannot get your personal data by tracking your IP address to your mobile and getting your IMEI and then hacking the DB of the netowkr operator to get your details :rolleyes:

Conspiracy theories
    >>>>

What Tom says, to do otherwise you'd need to hack into the operators network and track down what IMEI is maintaining an packet connection with xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx IP address.

plain english please:).

im not techie in any way

if someone did manage to get your imei or was aware of your imei what information can be gleaned from it

plain english please:).

im not techie in any way

if someone did manage to get your imei or was aware of your imei what information can be gleaned from it

Firstly, in order for them to get your IMEI they will need to hack into the computer systems of the network you are on.

They will need to then find out your IP address and search for a data connection which has the same IP address. They will need to search for the IMEI that established that connection.

If somehow they manager to do that, they will need to hack the customer database which all of the registration information etc.

Relax, wont be happening unless they people after you belong to either the CIA, NSA,FBI, Mossad, MI5, MI6, KGB etc... dont be worrying!

thanks but

assuming someone had your imei what info can be gathered

thanks but

Absolutely nothing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Absolutely nothing

Well, I wouldn't say absolutely no information - no personal information perhaps.

Maybe the (new) op doesn't want the Haxors to find out they have some obscure phone brand.

nereid wrote: »
    Well, I wouldn't say absolutely no information - no personal information perhaps.

Maybe the (new) op doesn't want the Haxors to find out they have some obscure phone brand.

But unless they have some some way of checking the IMEI in a database they wont even find out what type of phone he has!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

But unless they have some some way of checking the IMEI in a database they wont even find out what type of phone he has!
    thanks but

Agreed totally, I was merely pointing the (new) OP to the amount of information that could be gleaned if the imei (alone) was known to them (assuming they click the link).

I apologise for using your point to illustrate this to the (new) OP, it was entirely to to allay the fears that they may have thought they had.

Advertisement