Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Call your time for Wexford half marathon

• 08-04-2009 6:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭

I was originally aiming for a 1:15 but that might just be a little out of reach at the moment. So im aiming for in and around a 1:18 - 1:19. Anything below a sub 1:20 would be great.

So call your time folks.......

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭RoyMcC

62mins

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Eh, to finish...

As long as that happens, sub-2 hours would be a bonus...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Daithi BC

Name|Predicted Time|Actual Time|Difference
    tunguska|1:19:00||
    Daithi BC|1:22:10||
    RoyMcC|1:56:00||
    xebec|To Finish||

Some sort of makey-uppy prize to whoever gets closest to their predicted time!

Name Predicted Time
    tunguska 1:19
    Daithi BC 1:22:10
    RoyMcC 1:56
    xebec 1:59:59

If we're gonna make a table, I guess I'd better put in a real time...

xebec|1:59:59||

It's taken me 15 minutes to work out how to get the table working! I reckon with an extra 3% tax, I need to be 3% less productive at work to make up for it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

1.45 hopefully.

Looking forward to this one. I've a question, if thats cool: Being two weeks before the Belfast marathon, this race is during my taper. Is it ok to race a half marathon that soon before the big day? Or is that silly talk and I should just go for it in Wexford?

See you down there.

1.45 hopefully.

Looking forward to this one. I've a question, if thats cool: Being two weeks before the Belfast marathon, this race is during my taper. Is it ok to race a half marathon that soon before the big day? Or is that silly talk and I should just go for it in Wexford?

See you down there.

Personally I think it's ideal preparation - but then drop the miles big time so that you arrive fresh and frisky in Belfast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

i found this course profile on mapmyrun, i'm presuming the course is plotted reasonably correctly. You have to tick the box on the right hand side if you want to see the elevations.

http://www.mapmyrun.com/run/ireland/wexford/783635550673

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

A very optimistic 1.50 :-)

misty floyd|1:45:00||
    Oryx|1:50:00||

• Advertisement

1.45 hopefully.

See you down there.

For me, it's a bit close to be flat out racing Wexford if your main aim is Belfast. Personally, I wouldn't be racing at all within 4 weeks of a marathon, but I think a lot of people would do a hard 10k 3 weeks out. I'm just not sure about a half marathon two weeks out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Daithi BC wrote: »
    For me, it's a bit close to be flat out racing Wexford if your main aim is Belfast. Personally, I wouldn't be racing at all within 4 weeks of a marathon, but I think a lot of people would do a hard 10k 3 weeks out. I'm just not sure about a half marathon two weeks out.

I agree, it's a bit risky. Use it as a hardish training run if you must. I wouldn't go for it at all

I agree, it's a bit risky. Use it as a hardish training run if you must. I wouldn't go for it at all

Thats sound, thanks. I'll take your advice and take it handy. Thinking about it, I've nothing to gain killing myself on Sunday.

Just in from a 22miler at a speed of 8.27 mins per mile. Sticking to something similar for Wexford so 1.52 for me.

Nice table, sorry to mess it up. Cheers folks ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Thats sound, thanks. I'll take your advice and take it handy. Thinking about it, I've nothing to gain killing myself on Sunday.

Just in from a 22miler at a speed of 8.27 mins per mile. Sticking to something similar for Wexford so 1.52 for me.

Nice table, sorry to mess it up. Cheers folks ;)
    yep no point killing yourself 2 week before the marathon, whats your target for Belfast, might see you at the line..

misty floyd|1:52:00||

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭glennhysen

My target time is 1.51.00.

Looking forward to it as it is good preparation for the Edinburugh marathon at the end of May.

glennhysen|1:51:00||

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

My aim is 1.50

I did the Great Ireland Run in 47:30, and did an 11 mile training run in 1.33 so I shouldnt be too far off 1.50 hopefully.

04072511|1:50:00||

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭kwyjibot

I managed the Great Ireland run in 49:26, but haven't been feeling the best in training this last week, so I'm going to go for a very optimistic 1:53 (although anything under 2 hours will do for me!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Tomorrow is the big day! Weather is meant to be fine: No rain, no wind and fairly warm, couldnt ask for more than that.
    Was in training the other night and we did 1 mile flat out(there were trials taking place). Clocked a 5:08, which Im fairly happy with considering it was the first time I had raced over just one mile. Anyway before the race all the lads chaged into different shoes and I asked what the story was. Racing shoes apparently.
    I only joined the club in january so this whole concept of shoes designed specifically for racing is news to me. I always wore the old asics nimbus or nike pegasus. So one of the lads has given me a loan of a pair of racing shoes for the race tomorrow but Im not sure I should risk it. He did say that these shoes dont have much support and that I could be in a heap at the end of 13 miles due to this lack of support. But he did also say that they could shave 2mins off my time.
    So what do you think, should I risk it and use the racing shoes on the day even though Ive never worn them before? Or should I play it safe and stick with what I know?
    I know the sensible thing would be to stick with my regular shoes but then again, he who dares wins..........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭wizwill

I wouldnt risk it, your are aiming for 1.19, get that in the bag first. In the same position as yourself in that i have used kayano/nimbus/2100's in the past, i recently got a pair of DS trainer and i have cut my usual 5 mile moderate training run from 35 to 34 mins without any notable effort. I ran a mile in them the other night only second time wearing them, ran a 5.23 (first mile clocked) and felt great, i will wear them in wexford tomorrow but the DS trainer have some support in them. If it was a 10k i would try them but not 21.1k. That said you could throw caution to the wind, lots more HM's this year, I am in a bind wether to set out at 1.25 or 1.27 pace, would be delighted with a sub 1.30 but i have clocked the miles since jan and my times are falling and this is my main race for the first six months of this year so i dont want to go too easy on myself.

Anyway best of luck tomorrow, let us know how you get on with or without the flats. BTW i have a pair of Brooks T6 racer in the post (flats), about 70% of the guys in my club seem to have these flats, any thoughts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,541 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Hey Tunguska, I would hate to see you limping off the course after 3 or 4 miles of running at race pace in a type of shoe you are not used to, and which has already settled into the shape of someone else's foot. Is this race an important one in your race calendar?

Why not run in your regular shoes, then get yourself a pair of flats for a future race. Then you can shave 2 mins off of your next PB, just by changing your shoes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Anyway best of luck tomorrow, let us know how you get on with or without the flats. BTW i have a pair of Brooks T6 racer in the post (flats), about 70% of the guys in my club seem to have these flats, any thoughts?

See now Im just intrigued.........what are these Brooks T6 jobbies?
    I had kind of made up my mind to give the flats a go. I know its a high risk manuevre off the top rope and all but then again it could work out. I appreciate what you said aswell Krusty, its all very sensible and logical stuff. And I admit that my head is telling me to run in my regular shoes but that irrational, illogical part of me is screaming at me to wear the funky green shoes.
    I guess I'll bring both pairs down with me tomorrow and I'll do what feels right come race time.
    But those Brooks T6s..........I think Im gonna get me a pair of those bad boys for my next race.

I am in a bind wether to set out at 1.25 or 1.27 pace, would be delighted with a sub 1.30 but i have clocked the miles since jan and my times are falling and this is my main race for the first six months of this year so i dont want to go too easy on myself.

Id go for it Will. I think if you crossed the line and you knew you left something on the table you'd be pissed at yourself. I mean if you go for it and you die a little towards the end I reckon you'll have built yourself up enough of a cushion to still make a sub 1:30. I think in cases like this you gotta be brave and forget about over caution. I ran my first marathon in october and leading up to it everybody, without exception, was telling me to hold back and not go at a high pace, to just try and finish in under 4hrs. Not a chance! I went for it and did a 3hrs 02mins. So personally man, Id go for it.

tunguska wrote: »
    So what do you think, should I risk it and use the racing shoes on the day even though Ive never worn them before? Or should I play it safe and stick with what I know?

I'm going to be waering a pair of Adizero CS, which have a small bit of cushioning in them. My main worry with your shoes is that you'll never have worn them before. If you'd tried them in a 10k and got on fine, then I'd say go for it, but running a half marathon and finding out 3k in that they're not comfortable at race pace would make for a very long day.

Here's my problem: Does anyone know what the roadworks around Bunclody are like? It says on the AA roadwatch site that there is local access for smaller vehicles, but otherwise it's a 55km detour.

tunguska, i reckon you are right about chasing 1.25, the worry is blowing up but i think i would rather fail gloriously than not have tried, its 6.30 per mile, I am quite comfortable at 6.50 in training, the major problem is the last 3 miles but i am sure i can muster something.

I seen quite a few pair of brooks t5 racer around the club and i reckon a.) they bloody good or b.) someone in the club is offering them at a good deal. I reckon its a. I couldnt find the t5 in my size from a site i would buy from so i went for the t6 (the later model, from prodirect running). I have to say they look good, i got a pair of DS trainer last week so my wife aint gonna be too happy seeing another shoe box arriving :)

I am leaving dublin at 5.30 in the morning, i am just going to drive towards wexford and hope for the best in terms of diversions. anyone know if i should leave earlier???

Best of luck to all taking part tomorrow

wizwill wrote: »
    tunguska, i reckon you are right about chasing 1.25, the worry is blowing up but i think i would rather fail gloriously than not have tried, its 6.30 per mile, I am quite comfortable at 6.50 in training, the major problem is the last 3 miles but i am sure i can muster something.

I seen quite a few pair of brooks t5 racer around the club and i reckon a.) they bloody good or b.) someone in the club is offering them at a good deal. I reckon its a. I couldnt find the t5 in my size from a site i would buy from so i went for the t6 (the later model, from prodirect running). I have to say they look good, i got a pair of DS trainer last week so my wife aint gonna be too happy seeing another shoe box arriving :)

I am leaving dublin at 5.30 in the morning, i am just going to drive towards wexford and hope for the best in terms of diversions. anyone know if i should leave earlier???

If you come down the M50/N11 coast road you wont hit bunclody, where the worst diversion is supposed to be. Take exit 23* on the dual carriageway just past gorey. Think its signposted Gorey/courtown*. If you follow the signs for Wexford on that road, it brings you in through Ballycanew, then Castlebridge, and into Ferrybank without having to cross the river or go through Wexford town. Its a smaller road, but can be quicker than going through Enniscorthy.

*I have a tiny doubt that it could be 22, but its NOT the one for Inch.

If you're coming down the N11 then you won't have any problems, should be easily less than 2 hours at that time of day... Turn left at the Courtown (I think) junction on the Gorey bypass and come down on the R741, the start area is just before the bridge which brings you into the town.

If you're coming from Dublin, you'll be fine - Bunclody is only going to affect anyone coming down the N80 from Carlow. Looks like an even earlier start for me than I was planning.

+1!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Best of luck to all doing this. By the time I decided I wanted to do it, I was too late so I'm missing out sadly.

Well it's a gorgeous morning here in Wexford, seems like it's ideal for the race :) Best of luck to everyone!!

xebec|1:59:59|2:04:54|+0:04:55

Didn't beat two hours, but delighted to finish my first half! :cool:

Well done xebec, great feeling ain't it? Enjoy the moment and the beers. I'm afraid I was a DNS - maybe next year.

Well done all. What a day!

Those hills were tough but very satisfying. Initially I said my predicted time would be 1.45. I got some good advice on this thread that it wouldn't be a good idea to race hard for this one as I'm doing Belfast in two weeks. So I predicted 1.52. A training race if ya like. I didn't take the good advice :o

Absolutely delighted with a 1.41 (plus change) finish. I just felt really good after a mile in and just loved it. Most enjoyable race I've done to date. Well organised, nice scenery/people and I enjoy hills for some reason.

Nice touch getting a text with your time.

Storming run misty floyd, well done! Feet up for Belfast now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

First half also, did 2:04:40 or about that. Happy enough with the day, great weather and a nice scenic route.

Passed somebody in a boards singlet at around the 15k mark..HRM strap in hand and limping..

Overall it seemed well organised, only complaint would be the water sations.. impossible to run and drink from a cup and two water coolers at the end? Took me five minutes to get a cup of water.. I think most people would have prefered bottles.

My first half also. Was delighted to do a 1.45. Better than i thought id do. Fantastic day but the face is burnt off me. :) also found the cups impossible to manage! But otherwise a brilliantly organised run. Cheers eoin and crew.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Andystoran

Hi, First half, finished in 1hr 59m.. Absolutely delighted with the time. Felt i ran to my current potential. Very well organised besides the water cooler at the end with the masses of gasping runners around it....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭milligank

Cycle down on Sat (lovely day) 135km...

Massage on sat afternoon

Raced sunday in 1:32.55.

At home now... sore calfs from the hills.

milligank

Daithi BC|1:22:10|1:18:50|-0:03:20
    xebec|1:59:59|2:04:54|+0:04:55

I surprised myself in the end: didn't think I was going that well. I think the course suited me with a few hills thrown in, and it was nice to be able to cruise from 15 to 17k on the downhill.

For a first time event, I thought the whole day went incredibly well: seemed very well organised, good course, lots of friendly marshalls and a good atmosphere. At the end, I had my bag and a glass of water before I'd even got up off the floor. And it was marked in kilometers, which I much prefer - they go by so much more quickly!

• Advertisement

mloc123 wrote: »
    Passed somebody in a boards singlet at around the 15k mark..HRM strap in hand and limping..

That was krusty clown, he was feeling it by that stage... We must have been fairly close to each other, only finishing about 15 secs apart...

smashing day, thought the course was very hilly but maybe i just need more hill training. Very well organised, especially for first time round. finished in 1.31 had hoped to go under 1.30, then got greedy and decided to try and go under 1.27, the last 3k killed me. well done to all, especially Eoin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

Well done lads! Wizwill that last drag up to the town was hard going alright. Great run daithi, was that a PB? I didn't get a time txt, anyone know when times and results are going up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭gaf1983

milligank wrote: »
    Cycle down on Sat (lovely day) 135km...

Massage on sat afternoon

Raced sunday in 1:32.55.

At home now... sore calfs from the hills.

milligank

Did you cycle home too? Even if you didn't that's incredibly impressive.

On my entry form I predicted a 1.50 finish, finished in 1.49.09 so very happy with that, a personal best for me. Hadn't looked at the course profile before it, so the hill between 6k and 7k before the first water station caught me off guard, got into a rhythm after that though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

asimonov wrote: »
    I didn't get a time txt, anyone know when times and results are going up?

My wife did very well to finish her first half today but also didn't get a time text. Are they def going up on the website?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

I got a time text but my cousin didnt get one. When are they going up on the website?

My target was 1.50 and I ran it in 1.49:06. Absolutely delighted. My "official" time was 1.49:20, but by the time I crossed the start line we were 14 seconds into the race. That would be my only real complaint from an otherwise well organised event, there was no mat at the start line to record each persons time. Therefore people starting off at the front had a slight advantage over the people starting at the back. Therefore my "official" time isnt 100% accurate. Small problem though, I know my true time so thats all that matters.

Overall, I'm delighted. Now its onto my first Olympic Triathlon at Triathy!

Well done everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

This was my first race aswell and finished 1 54, well happy, I was 8 minute miling for first 8 miles but it was too fast and sun got the better of me

asimonov wrote: »
    Well done lads! Wizwill that last drag up to the town was hard going alright. Great run daithi, was that a PB? I didn't get a time txt, anyone know when times and results are going up?

Thanks - yes, a 50 second PB, so delighted with that. No text for me either, but I'm not sure if I put my mobile number down on the form.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭glennhysen

Finished it in 1.47.04 according to the text I got yesterday afternoon. I was very happy with the result as it was 4 mins quicker than I predicted. The race went very well, got up the few climbs ok and really enjoyed running fast down the slopes. Full steam ahead for the full marathon in Edinburugh on 31st May.

Well done Eoin on a great day, I though the organisation was brilliant and thank you to the people of Wexford who came out and cheered us all on such a fantastic day. Also the soup and sandwiches was very much appreciated afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭eoin ryan

Hi All,

Great to hear people enjoyed the race. We all got a great buzz out of seeing you guys out there.

The results are now up on the website. www.wexfordhalfmarathon.com

Looking forward to a bigger race next year.
    (won't be able to guarntee that weather again mind you.....) :pac:

There was a professional photographer on the course - details to follow if you wanna get a nice photo jobbie... (keep an eye on website for details)

Cheers

Eoin

• Advertisement
Advertisement