Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much is your monthly bill?

Options
  • 08-04-2009 7:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭

Hey.

So after being advised by CivilEx that it would cost a lot to get the iPhone on prepay;
    If you were to use the iPhone data plan every day for e-mail etc, Maps, Internet, then your monthly costs are going to be €25 - €30 before you make a call. This compares with your billpay customer who typically pays €10 per month for the data.

Bottom line is that prepay is an expensive way to use an iphone smile.gif

I'm curious as to how much it really costs a month on bill pay?

Like my current Meteor bill is supposed to be €20 a month but really works out at €29 so is it the same for the iPhone on O2? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I'm on Meteor, with a data plan, and I averaged €30-€35 a month.

I have now switched to their €10 a month, 30-day plan, so I would assume my bills will be in the region of €20-€25 a month from now on.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Mine is €22.50 (€15 basic tarriff + €7.50 for data) per month. All my calls/texts/data are within the included bundles so I'm not getting hit with any of the expensive charges for going over. Bought my iphone used and just got a SIM-only contract with O2.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Cocolola

Stephen wrote: »
    Mine is €22.50 (€15 basic tarriff + €7.50 for data) per month. All my calls/texts/data are within the included bundles so I'm not getting hit with any of the expensive charges for going over. Bought my iphone used and just got a SIM-only contract with O2.

Sorry now for asking dumb questions but is it possible to buy a prepay iPhone from O2 and then to use a different SIM-only contract like O2 Clear 30 Days or something? And if you then decided to switch to their pay monthly iPhone plan, would it just be a matter of singing to the contract and away you go? It's not mandatory to buy an iPhone when you start one of those contracts is it??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Gryzor

Cocolola wrote: »
    Sorry now for asking dumb questions but is it possible to buy a prepay iPhone from O2 and then to use a different SIM-only contract like O2 Clear 30 Days or something?

thats what i did...once its an O2 SIM, it'll work in the iphone out of the box.
    Cocolola wrote: »
    And if you then decided to switch to their pay monthly iPhone plan, would it just be a matter of singing to the contract and away you go? It's not mandatory to buy an iPhone when you start one of those contracts is it??

don't think u want to be on the iphone contract, 18 months + expensive. there are other contracts that will suit, and probobly be a bit cheaper. depends on your usage i suppose. the 18 month contract would put me off anyway.

Yeah, any O2 SIM should work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭CivilEx

OP, the cheapest iPhone tariff is currently €45 (175 mins/100 texts/1GB data). Add Insurance €6 (or maybe €9) and some calls outside your tariff and your bill is always going to be €55 to €60.

@Stephen has possibly the cheapest option on billpay of €22.50, but that doesn't include much by way of off network calls?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭O2_Daryll

The cheapest iPhone Tariff is actually €40 for unlimited calls and texts and 1GB.

On prepay. €20 for experience plus and 50MB a day for 99c

The cheapest iPhone Tariff is actually €40 for unlimited calls and texts and 1GB.

On prepay. €20 for experience plus and 50MB a day for 99c

unlimited calls and texts only on the O2 network, u're charged for other network calls and txts...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

20 euro.

O2 PAYG.

really hated bill pay where i got a measly 180 texts and 180 minutes for 35 euro. i'd use the 180 texts within two weeks.

the 50Mb a day for 99c is such a money making as well for them. if i want to send a quick email or a twitter or a location on a map it's 99c bam! ass raped.

CivilEx wrote: »
    @Stephen has possibly the cheapest option on billpay of €22.50, but that doesn't include much by way of off network calls?

It includes 50 minutes of calls to any network. I never get close to making that volume of calls in a month - I have a (quite crappy :() work phone for work stuff, so the iphone is personal stuff only.

• Advertisement

Ok so I've been doing a little bit of a comparison between an O2 Clear Tariff(Unlimited O2 to O2 calls and texts) and an iPhone Tariff(also Unlimited O2 to O2 calls and texts). Now I haven't done maths in a while so sorry if this is confusing!

I'm chosing the unlimited options because it's just the best for me.

Clear Unlimited
    Monthly tariff: €20
    Free O2 to O2 calls and texts
    Data: €7.53 for 250MB add-on plus €23.22 @ 3c/MB to bring it to 1GB
    Monthly Total for 1GB: €50.75

iPhone Unlimited
    Monthly tariff: €40
    Free O2 to O2 calls and texts
    Data: 1GB included. Any additional data charged @ 2c/MB
    Monthly Total for 1GB: €40

Also if you want to use the Clear plan SIM, you'll need to buy the iPhone as a Speakeasy one at €569 for 16GB (I think, I could be completely wrong!) The cost of the phone on the iPhone pay monthly is €249 for the 16GB.

Now if I want to do a fair comparisson, I'll need to see how much both would cost over a 18 month period, so;

Clear Unlimited:
    €50.75 x 18 = €913.50.

Including the cost of the phone, €31.61 per month(€569/18)
    €82.36 x 18 = €1482.48

iPhone Unlimited:
    €40 x 18 = €720

Including the cost of the phone, €13.83 per month(€249/18)
    €53.83 x 18 = €968.94

So overall, as far as I can make out, it's actually cheaper (for ME I stress!) to buy the phone on pay monthly from O2 with the Unlimited O2 to O2 plan.

Ok anyone feel free to tell me if I'm totally wrong and sorry for the nerdy post :)

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭GavinH

What is my cheapest option with o2? I want minimium minutes talk time but want at least 1gb data. I have a work phone so won't be using iPhone to make calls.

Cheers
    G

Eh, don't they have a 1GB data add-on for about €15 that you can take instead of the €7.50 250MB one?

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭mc1990

Gryzor wrote: »
    thats what i did...once its an O2 SIM, it'll work in the iphone out of the box.

sorry I'm raising this issue again :o just trying to get my head around the whole bill-pay thing, I've always been a speakeasy customer:rolleyes: so if I get an o2 Clear SIM BEFORE I purchase an iphone, I won't be forced to choose one of the iphone tariffs? I will be able to just purchase the iphone alone?
    again I apologise for asking silly questions:o

mc1990 wrote: »
    sorry I'm raising this issue again :o just trying to get my head around the whole bill-pay thing, I've always been a speakeasy customer:rolleyes: so if I get an o2 Clear SIM BEFORE I purchase an iphone, I won't be forced to choose one of the iphone tariffs? I will be able to just purchase the iphone alone?
    again I apologise for asking silly questions:o

if u dont want the iphone tarrif, u have to buy a speakeasy one from O2 or source one elsewhere. u cant buy a billpay iphone from O2 and not get the iphone tariff.

Stephen wrote: »
    Eh, don't they have a 1GB data add-on for about €15 that you can take instead of the €7.50 250MB one?
    Um, I don't know, this is the only one I could see anyway. though tbh I didn't look that hard.

http://www.o2online.ie/wps/wcm/connect/O2/Home/Explore+Services/Price+plans/Pay+monthly/Add+ons#>this</a

Advertisement