Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Non-citizens getting the dole? Time to stop it?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭jojobrad

A friend of mine who's brother is married to a Japanese woman, have two children and live in Japan. They do not and never have lived in Ireland with their children and yet they get "childrens allowance" every month paid into their bank account by the Irish tax payer...................Now that REALLY pisses me off :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

marti8 wrote: »
    Also very many non-nationals, in fact probably the majority from empirical evidence, work(ed) in lower paid jobs, minimum wage job......these individuals didn't actually even pay PRSI. So, it is very correct to say that non-nationals who were in minimum wage jobs (earning under €352 p.w) and who are now on the dole NEVER in the first instance even paid social insurance yet are entitled to social benefits....A CRAZY SYSTEM.

Minimum wage earners account for only 4.5% of the workforce. The majority of foregin nationals claiming unemployment benefit have come from the construction sector. Pay rates for consruction workers range from 14.88euros per hour for general operatives to at least 18.60euros for trade. Well above the PRSI treshold of 352 euros per week. Empirical evidence can be misleading.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,078 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

You say the UK cannot be excluded? Of course it can. I am talking what is in the best interests of Ireland, is it selfish, yes, of course but whenever a State does what is best for itself it is by definition selfish or if you want to use the term "in the national interst" be my guest, and rightly so.

Ireland and the UK have a special relationship that goes above and beyond the relationship we actually have with say Poland or Latvia or wherever else. This is realism, these are the facts.

And if your response to my argument is to say "oh, lets it take it one step further....", well, that isn't a very convincing rebuttal. I'm not talking about taking anything one step further, the heading for this topic is very clear.

Oh and that rather immature, idiotic comment you made about Stormfront is just that, immature and idiotic. Your level of intelligence realy does come shining through......I am neither a racist nor a xenophobe. In fact the type of folks on Stormfront which I once stumbled across also repulse me and trust me they would not be too fond of me, *a left leaning Irishman with a non-national spouse............. So, think before you post, I know it must be hard for you but you really should try it.

Infantile insults and no proper response to the meat of my post. What more can I say?

*ps. You should get that heel fixed.
    If you had actually read what I said you would see that NO this is not what I said.........I explained quite clearly that non-nationals should only recieve social welfare payments upto the ammount they have paid in tax to the State. Do you understand now? :) Also very many non-nationals, in fact probably the majority from empirical evidence, work(ed) in lower paid jobs, minimum wage job......these individuals didn't actually even pay PRSI. So, it is very correct to say that non-nationals who were in minimum wage jobs (earning under €352 p.w) and who are now on the dole NEVER in the first instance even paid social insurance yet are entitled to social benefits....A CRAZY SYSTEM.

And I don't belive that lower paid, minimum wage workers should pay tax......but what I do believe is that foreign nationals who have not paid tax should not get social welfare and those who have should get social welfare, as I said, upto the ammount they have contibuted in tax. I draw a distinction between Irish citizens entitlements to social welfare and the entitlements of non-citizens to the very same benefits. Simple.

You've never heard of the Employer's PRSI contribution made in respect of each employee, I take it?

Your posts don't prove to me that you know anything about the system and its workings - and it might sink in eventually that you cannot exclude the UK from your "argument".

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Well, if you don't think the fact that there are tens of thousands of non-nationals on the dole claiming welfare from the Irish State on a weekly basis is an urgent issue then that is where you and I disagree, although I am sure we disagree about many other issues too.....

Perhaps you think a 50% dole cut for Irish citizens above a tightening of restrictions for non-nationals getting the dole takes precedence.......If the criteria had been changed, if it had become more restrictive for non-nationals to get dole here then there would have been no need for the government to cut Irish citizens dole in half....and the majority of those affected ARE Irish.

You didnt answer my question and I'd like to see a link to support for your "tens of thousands" claim.

Sounds to me like you soapboxing your personal bugbear tbh.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭O'Morris

DeVore wrote:
    I'd like to see a link to support for your "tens of thousands" claim.

According to this article in the Irish Independent, there are 41,000 eastern Europeans on the dole.
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/foreign-workers-worsthit-as-jobless-rate-soars-1664607.html
    Nearly 60pc, or 41,000, of non-national workers on the Live Register come from the recent EU accession states in Eastern Europe, while 15,700 come from Britain, 4,000 came from the old EU states on the Continent and 11,000 were from outside Europe, the CSO figures reveal.
    I did the maths and it works out at 8 million euros extra a week that we're spending supporting these people on the dole. We would not have to spend so much money supporting so many people had our government not foolishly decided to throw open our labour market to millions of low-wage workers back in 2005.

Does anyone know how the situation in Ireland compares to other European countries? Is there any other country in the EU with as high or higher percentage of their unemployed made up of non-nationals? Is 20% about average for the EU?

• Advertisement

"These people" would have had to have worked here for at least two years, most probably for alot longer, to be able to claim benefits. The Social Insurance Fund has had large surpluses for 11 years in part due to the PRSI contributions "these people" have made, nevermind income tax, VAT...etc.

Since "these people" now account for 14% of the workforce, and you factor in the large number of them who were working in the construction industry, it is hardly surprising that they are proportionately represented on the live register.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭marti8

ionix5891 wrote: »
    i support tightening the dole for everyone no matter what their race or color is

social welfare system is way too generous and has no incentives for people to find or make employment/further education

i understand that if someone looses their job its a tough time, but i don't see how one can not find any employment/education even after a year no matter how hard things are

there are still jobs out there to dirty for Irish folk which is sickening, i chose to scrape pots when i was your age and not live of welfare

If you support tightening the eligibility criteria for dole for everyone, citizen or non-citizen, then that is where we have a difference of opinion......I, and MANY others (put it to a referendum, I DARE YOU.....:)) see a very distinct difference between the rights of citizens and the rights of non-citizens when it comes to social benefits from the IRISH State.

The people who are saying social welfare is far to generous are obviously those who are not on it, go and tell that to the hundreds of thousands Irish people who have the vote and see what the reaction would be. I would like to see how your opinion would change if you were on the dole......

Don't make me laugh, you can't see how someone can be on the dole for more than a year without finding a job or educational or other training? LMAO. Wow, you really are living in an insulated little ivory tower aren't you?!......You assume that there are jobs for eveyone in todays economy or that there are training and educational for everyone in todays economy....you are living in cloud cookooland.......THERE ARE NOT.

Just say the dole now stands at 450,000, just say....you are trying to tell me that between the jobs and courses you speak off there are 450,000 vacancies.......em, are you serious? No, there are not. And you forget that not everyone can get into college or uni or on a FAS course.

I can speak from experience, I tried for a FAS course, no luck.....fine I moved on. I tried for uni as a mature student and very luckily got in, I did law for a year, realised I hated it and moved on. I could have continued with it and had I f**k only knows how much I'd be on a year now but the point is that it is not about money, it is about finding something you like doing. But getting onto the course I did get onto was very difficult, loads of applicants for the 5 or so mature adult places available, tests, interviews etc. I was lucky the others were not as lucky. So, these people DID try but could not get a place. Not everyone who trys actually gets a job or course as you seem to suggest.

These days, although I am in reciept of a social welfare payment I still study p/t by distance with a UK university. And as I have said my spouse is a f/t mature student here in Ireland. If I, we, were so-called "spongers" then we would be happy to sit back and take social welfare indefinetly without attempting to better ourselves and in the longer term improve our situation and move from a situation of being dependant on the State to being contributors to the State.

But anyway, that is REALLY getting off topic about social welfare benefits and non-citizens.

deadhead13 wrote: »
    Minimum wage earners account for only 4.5% of the workforce. The majority of foregin nationals claiming unemployment benefit have come from the construction sector. Pay rates for consruction workers range from 14.88euros per hour for general operatives to at least 18.60euros for trade. Well above the PRSI treshold of 352 euros per week. Empirical evidence can be misleading.

Whether the majority of foreign workers have been in the construction industry on above minimum wage or not I have no idea (and have no problems readily saying that), I don't have the figures for that. You say they are, so then unless you are relying on empirical evidence yourself you must have the figures? Please, do share.....

But that does not detract from my original point, if EU nationals have paid tax then fine, they get dole when they need it upto the ammount they have paid in taxes. I have always said that.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Darkbloom

Am I right in thinking you were commenting on here for more than twelve hours yesterday?! Christ.

And put it to a referendum; given the choice of supporting hard-working foreigners or people like you who do nothing but whinge, I dare say the good people of Ireland will do the right thing. ;)

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Infantile insults and no proper response to the meat of my post. What more can I say?

*ps. You should get that heel fixed.

You've never heard of the Employer's PRSI contribution made in respect of each employee, I take it?

Your posts don't prove to me that you know anything about the system and its workings - and it might sink in eventually that you cannot exclude the UK from your "argument".

I have repeatedly replied to the so-called "meat" of your argument (more like bones actually) :) You simply choose to ignore the answer.

Infantile insults, lol......take a look at your own posts first there, buddy. :)

And yes, I have heard of employers PRSI contributions. If you read what I actually said I referred to the tax the "employee", the non-national worker, had paid. The State can keep the employers contribution because by god, we need it these days.

And yes the UK can be excluded and with very good reason. Since the foundation of this State, Ireland and the UK have had the free movement of people, we have a Common Travel Area etc etc, all pre-dating any EU membership, and not even dependant on any EU membership (and I do support irelands membership of the EU - but of a democratic EU that listens to the will of her citizens) For all intents and purposes Irish people in the UK are treated as citizens and British people in Ireland are treated as citizens....we have the same eligibility to social welfare, voting rights (even in each others national elections - something which NO other EU State offers to other non-citizens), rights to reside and work, Irish people in northern Ireland can hold dual British and Irish citizenship, the right to participate in the Armed Forces and Police etc etc. Ireland and the UK have a very unique relationship.

p.s: you should get your right heel looked at while youre at it.......lol

• Advertisement

Darkbloom wrote: »
    Am I right in thinking you were commenting on here for more than twelve hours yesterday?! Christ.

And put it to a referendum; given the choice of supporting hard-working foreigners or people like you who do nothing but whinge, I dare say the good people of Ireland will do the right thing. ;)

Em, I don't actually sit glued to boards.ie if that is what you are asking,lol.....we do have something called "always on broadband", lol.....From Eircom actually, ah, good old Eircom.....keeping the dream alive...:pac:

And again you miss the point (plot :))......today we have hundreds of thousands of people on the dole, the majority Irish but a sizeable non-national minority. We have X ammount in the social welfare pot, now would Irish people rather other Irish people have priority access to this money or would Irish people rather that both Irish citizens and non-national citizens have equal access to that very limited social welfare kitty then yes, please do put it to a referendum...........;)

We have already seen dole for the under 20's, the vast majority of whom are Irish nationals, cut in half while non-nationals continue to enjoy full benefits. Now this is not fair, the Irish government are failing the Irish people.

p.s: your arguments seem really to be very very weak.....you should work on that....

DeVore wrote: »
    You didnt answer my question and I'd like to see a link to support for your "tens of thousands" claim.

Sounds to me like you soapboxing your personal bugbear tbh.

DeV.

I think O'Morris answered your question on that one......:) Any other personal bugbears you have, just ask......:)

"These people" would have had to have worked here for at least two years, most probably for alot longer, to be able to claim benefits. The Social Insurance Fund has had large surpluses for 11 years in part due to the PRSI contributions "these people" have made, nevermind income tax, VAT...etc.

Since "these people" now account for 14% of the workforce, and you factor in the large number of them who were working in the construction industry, it is hardly surprising that they are proportionately represented on the live register.

Helloooooo? That is the past. We had a surplus, no longer. We are now in financial dire straits, you seem to ignore that fact.

And for the umpteenth time, I explained that non-nationals should get the tax they have paid back by way of social welfare should the need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭aare

Just dropping in to make sure everybody remembered to sleep? Eat? Use the bathroom?

Just a thought, but, I wonder, is there is a chance of having this thread turned into a CE scheme?
    :rolleyes:

For all intents and purposes Irish people in the UK are treated as citizens and British people in Ireland are treated as citizens...

No more than any other EU citizen, now that we need our passports to travel there again.
    .we have the same eligibility to social welfare, voting rights (even in each others national elections - something which NO other EU State offers to other non-citizens), rights to reside and work, Irish people in northern Ireland can hold dual British and Irish citizenship, the right right to participate in the Armed Forces and Police etc etc.

From the Met's website:

Contrary to popular belief, you don’t have to be British to join the Met. In fact you can be of any nationality to apply, as long as you have the legal right to remain indefinitely and without restriction in the UK.
    You must have been resident in the UK for at least the three years immediately prior to applying.

Commonwealth citizens can also join the British army.

Dual citizenship of two EU countries offers no benefits, according to the EU. Are there any real benefits to this?

All other citizens of the EEA can claim benefits in the UK provided they fulfil certain criteria.

EEA national exercising Treaty rights, for example a worker or self-employed person you are eligible to access benefits on the same basis as UK citizens, provided you meet the relevant eligibility criteria for those benefits. Those who are economically inactive, including A8 and A2 nationals (see below) will not generally be entitled to income-related benefits.

Amazing the things you can find when you look up information and don't just pull it out your arse.

aare wrote: »
    Just dropping in to make sure everybody remembered to sleep? Eat? Use the bathroom?

Just a thought, but, I wonder, is there is a chance of having this thread turned into a CE scheme?
    :rolleyes:

I thought they'd cut the CE scheme? But there's an idea......

Unfortunetly I am on social welfare and alas cannot afford a bed (I sleep in my rags) nor food (I have been reduced to stealing our Yorkies Winalot) and as one of the unwashed masses I am forced to **** in my pants......but I do it all for Mother Ireland......;)

Em, I don't actually sit glued to boards.ie if that is what you are asking,lol.....we do have something called "always on broadband", lol.....From Eircom actually, ah, good old Eircom.....keeping the dream alive...:pac:

Ignoring the rest of your post as it's the usual rambling, are you saying that always on broadband was making the posts for you at 5am?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭aare

I thought they'd cut the CE scheme? But there's an idea......

Unfortunetly I am on social welfare and alas cannot afford a bed (I sleep in my rags) nor food (I have been reduced to stealing our Yorkies Winalot) and as one of the unwashed masses I am forced to **** in my pants......but I do it all for Mother Ireland......;)

SHAME ON YOU!!!
    :(
    Robbin' on a poor, starving liddle Yorkie, bet you'd leave his food alone if he was a Glen of Imaal too...

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭scorpioishere

Marti8 you have no point at all. You are so so blind and selfish. You don't see that the government are spoilling irish citizens. People who are working full time are getting the dole too, people who have children are getting child benefit even from abroad, people who doesn't even have a disability are claiming for disability benefit. Why you don't see that but sees only the non-national getting the dole. They totally deserved it because when the low paid jobs were available few years ago, none of the irish were willing to take it and when they did it now you come and said they took irish people jobs. Your attitude really sucks.

I was going to reply marti8 - then I thought, no, ejmaztec is right the whole tone of your posts is infantile and just annoying. I'm out of here, all the best.

• Advertisement

No more than any other EU citizen, now that we need our passports to travel there again.

From the Met's website:

Contrary to popular belief, you don’t have to be British to join the Met. In fact you can be of any nationality to apply, as long as you have the legal right to remain indefinitely and without restriction in the UK.
    You must have been resident in the UK for at least the three years immediately prior to applying.

Commonwealth citizens can also join the British army.

Dual citizenship of two EU countries offers no benefits, according to the EU. Are there any real benefits to this?

All other citizens of the EEA can claim benefits in the UK provided they fulfil certain criteria.

EEA national exercising Treaty rights, for example a worker or self-employed person you are eligible to access benefits on the same basis as UK citizens, provided you meet the relevant eligibility criteria for those benefits. Those who are economically inactive, including A8 and A2 nationals (see below) will not generally be entitled to income-related benefits.

Amazing the things you can find when you look up information and don't just pull it out your arse.

You are very selective however, Irish nationals do not depend on Treaty Rights to freely move, work and reside or even claim social benefits in the UK, other EU nationals do.:)

Huh, I hadn't realised there were Commonwealth countries in the EU? :)

And the Common Travel Area is still in effect, a motion in the UK House of Lords on April 1st ensured its continuation. And you are wrong we don't need passports to travel to the UK (whether airlines impose such a restriction is upto them but not required by law) Check your facts, pal.

I never said dual citizenship provided benefits....eh, where did I say that, read what I wrote? I was stating a legal fact, that is all.

Amazing when you actually check what you can find maybe you should try it and while you are at it address the main point of this topic, if you can of course...lol Why should non-nationals be a burden to the Irish State?

I have repeatedly replied to the so-called "meat" of your argument (more like bones actually) :) You simply choose to ignore the answer.

Infantile insults, lol......take a look at your own posts first there, buddy. :)

And yes, I have heard of employers PRSI contributions. If you read what I actually said I referred to the tax the "employee", the non-national worker, had paid. The State can keep the employers contribution because by god, we need it these days.

And yes the UK can be excluded and with very good reason. Since the foundation of this State, Ireland and the UK have had the free movement of people, we have a Common Travel Area etc etc, all pre-dating any EU membership, and not even dependant on any EU membership (and I do support irelands membership of the EU - but of a democratic EU that listens to the will of her citizens) For all intents and purposes Irish people in the UK are treated as citizens and British people in Ireland are treated as citizens....we have the same eligibility to social welfare, voting rights (even in each others national elections - something which NO other EU State offers to other non-citizens), rights to reside and work, Irish people in northern Ireland can hold dual British and Irish citizenship, the right to participate in the Armed Forces and Police etc etc. Ireland and the UK have a very unique relationship.

p.s: you should get your right heel looked at while youre at it.......lol

You haven't a clue how the PRSI, or taxation systems work, that's plain to me, and you've spent a couple of hundred repetitive posts digging yourself into a big hole, like a man trying to convince others that the square wheel that he just invented is the best thing since sliced bread.

No politically "left-leaning" individual would ever suggest such a scheme as the one you've come up with, which is why I assumed that you were referring to a physical as against political leaning.

Ignoring the rest of your post as it's the usual rambling, are you saying that always on broadband was making the posts for you at 5am?

What on earth are you rambling on about now? :pac: Explain to me what time I post at has any relevance to this thread, lol......would you like to know what I have for dinner too? So foolish! lmao :p

You haven't a clue how the PRSI, or taxation systems work, that's plain to me, and you've spent a couple of hundred repetitive posts digging yourself into a big hole, like a man trying to convince others that the square wheel that he just invented is the best thing since sliced bread.

No politically "left-leaning" individual would ever suggest such a scheme as the one you've come up with, which is why I assumed that you were referring to a physical as against political leaning.

Lol, this thread isn't about taxation......it is about scial welfare entitlements for non-nationals. And yes, I know, as I have explained clearly, how the taxation system works. But why don't you address the issue at hand, is it that you don't have an answer? And if you don't then would you support the right of the Irish people to decide through referendum? :)

And please explain to me why you think no "left leaning" individual would support restricting access to social welfare for non-citizens? I'd like to hear that one.....lol

I was going to reply marti8 - then I thought, no, ejmaztec is right the whole tone of your posts is infantile and just annoying. I'm out of here, all the best.

Yeah, it's best you run for the door when you can't support your argument...:D

Marti8 you have no point at all. You are so so blind and selfish. You don't see that the government are spoilling irish citizens. People who are working full time are getting the dole too, people who have children are getting child benefit even from abroad, people who doesn't even have a disability are claiming for disability benefit. Why you don't see that but sees only the non-national getting the dole. They totally deserved it because when the low paid jobs were available few years ago, none of the irish were willing to take it and when they did it now you come and said they took irish people jobs. Your attitude really sucks.

Hmmmm? Well, if you actually did read what I said you would see I have already said there is fraud in the Irish social welfare system.....so, exactly what are you talking about?

Using your own logic you should also recognise that it is a problem when a non-national who may NEVER have paid tax can claim social welfare benefits from the Irish State.............

"A few years ago"......ARE YOU LIVING IN THE PAST? This is the here and now, and HERE AND NOW Ireland needs to do what is best for Ireland. The IRISH State owes its first responsibility to the IRISH people.

Why don't you actually address the issue? Probably because you know you can't really support your argument. :)

Whether the majority of foreign workers have been in the construction industry on above minimum wage or not I have no idea (and have no problems readily saying that), I don't have the figures for that. You say they are, so then unless you are relying on empirical evidence yourself you must have the figures? Please, do share.....

But that does not detract from my original point, if EU nationals have paid tax then fine, *they get dole when they need it upto the ammount they have paid in taxes. I have always said that.

%Lol, this thread isn't about taxation......it is about scial welfare entitlements for non-nationals. And yes, I know, as I have explained clearly, how the taxation system works. But why don't you address the issue at hand, is it that you don't have an answer? And if you don't then would you support the right of the Irish people to decide through referendum? :)

And please explain to me why you think no "left leaning" individual would support restricting access to social welfare for non-citizens? I'd like to hear that one.....lol

*Contradiction?

When you know the difference between left-wing and right-wing politics, all will be revealed.

*Contradiction?

When you know the difference between left-wing and right-wing politics, all will be revealed.

No, not a contradiction at all, again I will say it, why should a non-national who has never paid PRSI be entitled to dole in Ireland?

You seem to think that all folks with left wing political beliefs are all for everyone be they citizen or non-citizen getting the dole? Not so. And you seem to think that all folks with right wing political views believe dole should be very restrictive or scrapped in some instances....well, actually that is usually correct...:pac:

Yes, they paid their taxes, fair enough. Personally I think it would be a good idea to allow those non-nationals to get social welfare until they have in effect recouped the ammount they have paid in taxes but then say no more.
    No, not a contradiction at all, again I will say it, why should a non-national who has never paid PRSI be entitled to dole in Ireland?

So, from your first post to this one, they've gone from paying tax (in which case they would have had PRSI credits) to not having PRSI credits? You should really make your mind up.
    You seem to think that all folks with left wing political beliefs are all for everyone be they citizen or non-citizen getting the dole? Not so. And you seem to think that all folks with right wing political views believe dole should be very restrictive or scrapped in some instances....well, actually that is usually correct...:pac:

So, left-wing and right-wing are both the same? There's a turn-up for the books.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭teetotaller

And no, I said earlier that if east Europeans have paid tax and then become unemployed they should recieve that tax paid back in kind by way of a social welfare payment and when they have recieved that ammount back that's it, no more. They then have to return to their own countries.

Marti8

Thank you for being so generous.

I'm from Poland, I live in Dublin nearly 5 years and so far I paid over 35k in taxes so far. If I'd loose my job, I could go claim SW benefit and governent would have to pay me benefits for 35000/800 = 3,5 years on dole

Great news for me :) I won't get SW benefit paid for 1 year as it is at the moment but for 3,5 years !!

I'd like to remind you my Irish friends that not everyone from Eastern Europe works as kitchen porter, cleaner or waitress. Also not everyone send every penny back to Poland. Myself after 5 years in Ireland I have 500 euro on my Polish account. everything else is here. I got married here, My wife is going to give birth here as well, and we spend our money here in Ireland.

I'm pretty sure that these people who scream loudest do their shopping in Northern Ireland and spend a lot of money abroad while on holidays. and that is how they contribute to Irish economy.

I feel very embarassed when I read threats like this and almost all people write that we don't contribute to your ( our ) economy. I don't like when I read that we all work for minimum wages and shop only in Polish shops. I don't like as well when I read that we live 10 people in 2 bed house and we don't help Irish people to pay their morgages.

Maybe that was a true but few years ago - just after we arrived. Now all my friends from Poland live on their own, spend money in Irish shops support SW beneficients, buy cars ( helping Irish people to get 09cars) etc etc.

When everything is allright you are happy to have us here, you are happy to be managers not just company staff, you are saying that Polish people are hard working people- if you don't remember check threads that were written few years ago. Now situation is bad and you simply say - go away why ?

Did some of you already forgot what was situation in Ireland just over 10 years ago and how much help you got from other countries ?
    Don't forget that many companies in Ireland are not Irish owned companies. Usually UK and US - tell them also to go away and fcuk off - they are not Irish are they ?

one more thing

I'm a member of Polish forums as well, and I read every day about people who lost their jobs, about job seekers benefits about social welfare payments - and some of these people are just lazy, they don't want to work they are happy with SW "salaries"
    but whose fault is this ?

I think that it is only Irish government's fault

I read about people who are back in Poland and their friends are collecting and sending them their SW payments why is this possible ?
    Why at the post office nobody was checking documents when somebody wanted to collect money ? only SW swipe card and signature.....

I work very hard, but got very irritated after I spoke to my neighbours She is Irish, He is from EE country, they have a kid.

They both don't work and don't want to work - they get SW payments, government pay for their rent, they get paid their bills. Bills - I try to not to use too much gas or electricity average is about 100 - 150 euro every month. My neighbours bills who live in the same type of house are over 350 every month - they don't care government pay for this........

construction collapsy - who allowed to increase house prices so much in last few years ? Simple answer - government

last edit

If Polish or EE person earn minimum wage - it doesn't mean that he or she doesn't contribute to Irish economy. That person simply allows his or her boss to have better income and employer pays more tax, prsi, employer spend more money in Irish shops.

last thing about government - It is nearly one year that becouse of weak Pound Irish shops are not competetive to Northern Ireland shops. What Government did to change it ?

Government increased taxes for alcohol, cigarettes and other goods.

I was in Newry last week. I checked plates on cars outside shopping centre
    D, D, D, D Mh, LH, D NORTHERN IRELAND, D, D, D, D, D, D

If you want to help your country ask government and companies in Ireland to reduce taxes to UK level and reduce prices.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement