Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Non-citizens getting the dole? Time to stop it?

Options
1171819202123»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Maybe stop Irish nationals on SW from shopping in NI in return?

After all they are claiming Irish tax and SW so let them spend it in the state?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭marti8

gnxx wrote: »
    We took their taxes. In return, we made promises of services that they could expect in certain circumstances. One of these circumstances was unemployment.

We are not talking about the right to vote -- although sometimes I think that stopping the Irish from voting would be a positive move :-)

I never suggested that anybody could just arrive here and claim social welfare. From my understanding, this is not the case.

I have absolutely NO problem with somebody who has worked here and paid taxes drawing the dole. They have paid for it.

The flip side of your reasoning, is that non-nationals who haven't taken advantage of our fine healthcare system, our magnificent teaching facilities and our benevolent social welfare system should get a refund.

Like you say, "they have paid for it", and what if they have not? What if they never made any employee PRSI contributions? Those on minimum wage would not have. Are they still entitled to social welfare? I have consistently said that those non-nationals who have paid tax should be entitled to social welfare should they need it.

And em, if people have paid tax they are entitled to what is called a "rebate" I'm sure you have heard of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Right this thread is just going around in circles at this point. It's generating some heat and not enough light so I'm closing it.

EU law is very unlikely to change soon and the Irish Government aren't going to renege on the deals we negotiated as part of the EU so the issue really is just moot.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement