Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Non-citizens getting the dole? Time to stop it?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,078 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

marti8 wrote: »
    first.....and the same in every other country (obviously we have a special relationship with the UK)

Ireland also has a special relationship with the other members of the EU.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭marti8

Welease wrote: »
    Yes, I have seen that data.. Why are you excluding the UK? (i know you said you covered this, what post # I am not reading 11 pages of posts to find it :)).

So given the data we have there are more Irish abroad "taking" jobs and receiving dole than foreigners here. ~800K vs ~420K

Looking further at what you propose.. I work with many many bright and talented foreigners at the middle/upper skilled section of the workforce. In fact, look at a lot of the multinational corporations who employ vast numbers here. They in general have a good proportion of foreign staff and senior managers. Should we implement laws that discourge them from setting up here, and having a safety net in case they fall on hard times? It's not so long ago that MNC's in Ireland had to pay foreign workers extra benefits to entice them to come to Ireland (and even though I am Irish, I was beneficiary of these schemes to get me to come back to Ireland).
    How do you propose to handle the disencentive for these MNC's and other entreprenuers to come to Ireland and setup in business? Don't assume all foreigners are in low paid positions that any can do.. many of them are in highly skilled positions that we don't have the workforce available to fill initially.

To answer the latter part of your question it is very simple, short term contracts on temporary work permits.

And you seem to be living in the past, yes, we USED to have a labour shortage, NOT anymore. And if a situation arises where an Irish national cannot be found to fill a job vacancy then by all means hire a non-national but again Irish citizens should come first.

And why not include the UK? Simple, it isn't in the best intersts of Ireland. This is all about what in these curent economic times is good for Ireland, not other countries or thier citizens, Ireland. If the UK turned around and said all Irish people on the dole over X ammount of time would not be entitled to dole, we'd have to accept that (we wouldn't like it of course) but we, at least I, could understand why they'd do it. To saveguard their own financial stability, to ensure that British nationals came first.

However, Ireland and the UK have what is called a Common Travel Area (although possibly for not much longer) We also have a shared history (for better or worse), close political links, cultural links, familial links and so on. The relationship between Ireland and the UK is very different to Ireland and the the other member States of the EU.

If there are 500,000 people in the UK (a large proportion of which, I assume are northern Irish nationalists - who would by in large class themselves as Irish, whether they have Irish passports or not) who were born in Ireland and many of those could well have dual nationality, Irish and British.

In the remainder of the EU there are not 300,000 Irish nationals living and working (or on the dole as the case may be)

I am specifically talking about the EU, not North America, Australia/NZ or anywhere else. I am talking about non-nationals who can as the rules stand claim social welfare indefinetly here after working for 2 years and who have the right to work here without any limits being imposed, to the detrement of Irish citizens.

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Ireland also has a special relationship with the other members of the EU.

This is about what is best for Ireland.

This is about what is best for Ireland.

So, what has the special relationship with the UK got to do with it?

You keep mentioning the UK? Or not when it suits ya... It's confusing :confused:

So by your rationale, you're in a better position than most... since your wife's a non national, why can't she just go out and get a job and support both of you?:) since it's so easy! There... problem solved! :)

Lol, you seem not to get it......you assume that there are jobs available for whoever wants them, it's about time you woke up and smelt the coffee :).....there are NOT jobs available for whoever wants them, this is self evident. You have ex bankers, accountants etc trying to get jobs in McDonalds.

Oh, and by the way, my spouse is in full time education and I am in reciept of a social welfare payment (and my wife is my dependant) I also study, part time by distance with a UK university. So, while we are in reciept of a social welfare payment we are at the same time attempting to better ourselves.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Heineken Helen

Lol, you seem not to get it......you assume that there are jobs available for whoever wants them, it's about time you woke up and smelt the coffee :).....there are NOT jobs available for whoever wants them, this is self evident. You have ex bankers, accountants etc trying to get jobs in McDonalds.

Oh, and by the way, my spouse is in full time education and I am in reciept of a social welfare payment (and my wife is my dependant) I also study, part time by distance with a UK university. So, while we are in reciept of a social welfare payment we are at the same time attempting to better ourselves.

I'm on the dole too... when did I say there were jobs for anyone who wants them? You seem to think all the eastern europeans are the only ones with access to the jobs so I was just having a bit of fun with that.

So, what has the special relationship with the UK got to do with it?

Huh? OK, let me explain it simply for you.....and slowly. It is not in Irelands best interests to have Irish nationals not get dole payments in the UK nor is it in Irelands best interests not to have Irish people able to work in the UK.....That is why I am not including the UK. Also since the foundation of the State Irish people and vice versa, have been able to work in the UK without permits or the like, and vice versa. This is in recognition of the special relationship that does exist between the UK and Ireland.

I'm on the dole too... when did I say there were jobs for anyone who wants them? You seem to think all the eastern europeans are the only ones with access to the jobs so I was just having a bit of fun with that.

What I am saying is that the non-nationals who are currently in jobs are depriving irish nationals of jobs, that is a fact. They are not at fault for this of course, that mess rests with our government who allowed everyone in (and who were warned by some leading economists and others about what could happen if there was, when there was, a downturn....never mind downturn now, we're in freefall....) They could have opted for a work permit scheme, they did not. Had they today the dole ques would be less and more Irish nationals would be working, simple as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Ireland is a soft touch and has been for ages, it CANNOT continue given our current problems, we're running out of money fast
    Agreed. Lets stop paying ye.
    What I am saying is that we are in a situation NOW whereby Irish nationals cannot find jobs because very mnay of those jobs ARE already filled by non-nationals.
    Many are jobs that the Irish don't want, or are too low paid for the Irish.
    And you seem to be living in the past, yes, we USED to have a labour shortage, NOT anymore. And if a situation arises where an Irish national cannot be found to fill a job vacancy then by all means hire a non-national but again Irish citizens should come first.
    Again, I know of call-center jobs who Irish people look down their noses at, but the "foreigners" will work in. If we shipped all the "foreigners" out, are you going to also ship HP, Intel, etc, out as well? No? So it'll be selective with who we throw out?

How about: we throw you out?

Huh? OK, let me explain it simply for you.....and slowly. It is not in Irelands best interests to have Irish nationals not get dole payments in the UK nor is it in Irelands best interests not to have Irish people able to work in the UK.....That is why I am not including the UK. Also since the foundation of the State Irish people and vice versa, have been able to work in the UK without permits or the like, and vice versa. This is in recognition of the special relationship that does exist between the UK and Ireland.

So it's ok for some, and not for others? I get the picture. We'd better hope that the UK and a lot of other countries don't decide that it is against their national interest to have non-nationals, from wherever, signing on. It may get a little crowded at the Social Welfare offices.

• Advertisement

pcardin wrote: »
    Yeah! Some 80 years ago Mr. Adolf also started to do the same sh1t. He didn't had boards.ie he was just visiting pubs to find unstable people and inject them with his madness. He also organised National socalists party the same way you are doing now. He hated jews and you hate eastern europeans with the same no reason.The more I read your crazy posts themore I can see that only difference between him and you that he got the power but you will get some nice room in mental Ill hospital.

:pac: Lol, good to see you have a sense of humour (not)....LMAO.....Are you always that serious and dour......f**k!

So it's ok for some, and not for others? I get the picture. We'd better hope that the UK and a lot of other countries don't decide that it is against their national interest to have non-nationals, from wherever, signing on. It may get a little crowded at the Social Welfare offices.

It is already a "little" crowded at the Social Welfare offices........Besides the UK, if all the the other EU States said Irish people could not get social welfare there or could not work there, we wouldn't really in the scheme of things have too much to worry about. To put it simply and very realistically, there are more of them here than there of us there............

the_syco wrote: »
    Agreed. Lets stop paying ye.

Many are jobs that the Irish don't want, or are too low paid for the Irish.

Again, I know of call-center jobs who Irish people look down their noses at, but the "foreigners" will work in. If we shipped all the "foreigners" out, are you going to also ship HP, Intel, etc, out as well? No? So it'll be selective with who we throw out?

How about: we throw you out?

Throw me out...:pac:....funny! :) You seem to be living in 2006 or something. Just a few days ago the government cut the dole for the under 20's by 50%. Now where are those under 20's supposed to find work if most or many lower paid jobs are taken by non-nationals.

You said Irish people won't work in call centres? Really? Are you talking about today or a few years ago? Tell that to the under 20 who gladly will but because the jobs are taken by non-nationals, can't. Or the professionals who are reduced to applying for jobs in McDonalds......but again can't even get a job there.

And as for the "lets stop paying ye" bit, Irish nationals should be and are entitled to be supported by the IRISH State. The first responsibiity of any State is to it's own citizens.

You are living in the past, we have a whole new reality today.

It is already a "little" crowded at the Social Welfare offices........Besides the UK, if all the the other EU States said Irish people could not get social welfare there or could not work there, we wouldn't really in the scheme of things have too much to worry about. To put it simply and very realistically, there are more of them here than there of us there............

One must exclude the big one, mustn't one? If the UK were to decide on your master-plan and send the Irish unemployed back here, you would probably need a tent and a week's supply of nourishment each time you had to collect unemployment pay.

Darkbloom wrote: »
    This isn't really relevant, I'm afraid. After the minimum wage came in there were plenty of shops in my area that would hire 16 year olds over people a few years older to avoid paying out the full amount. I used to have difficulty getting a job during this time. Kicking immigrants out solves nothing; the young of this country are cheap labour too. Undercutting? No, it's competition.

You are living in the PAST. It is neither fair nor just that while many lower and maybe even not so lower paid jobs are taken by non-nationals that Irish nationals can't get jobs. Everything has changed but you just don't see it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭ionix5891

Throw me out...:pac:....funny! :) You seem to be living in 2006 or something. Just a few days ago the government cut the dole for the under 20's by 50%. Now where are those under 20's supposed to find work if most or many lower paid jobs are taken by non-nationals.

go onto further education ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭ionix5891

@all

there are many "foreigners" here who dont sponge of the dole do hard jobs no one wanted or wants still

there are also "foreigners" who run companies here or have large stakes and pay alot to Revenue

i sure hope threads like these from the xenophobic "dey tooook oouur jobs that we dont want to do" brigade dont result in reduced investment in this country as that would really make thing worse

im bemused at how narrow the vision is of some of the posters in this and other "thinly veiled" racist threads

anyways what needed to be said was said, some people will just continue bickering and saying things that will reflect badly on the rest of us who do think a little before we type

• Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

You are living in the PAST. It is neither fair nor just that while many lower and maybe even not so lower paid jobs are taken by non-nationals that Irish nationals can't get jobs. Everything has changed but you just don't see it.

say i apply for a job and i am german.

you apply for the same job and obviously you are irish.

Im a better applicant. i have a better attitude. i dont moan about perceived infractions from a minority. i have better qualifications. are you saying to me that just because the you were born in the same country as this job you should get this job ahead of me? even if i am the better prospective employee?

you see thats the problem with a large proportion of irish people, and i can say this being Irish myself. they just want ****in everything done for them and they begrudge even the smallest things. why werent you applying for these jobs during the good times if these jobs are so important?

I have no problem with anyone coming to this country to work. fair play to them. and if they get sacked after working here and paying tax then they deserve to claim the dole.

One must exclude the big one, mustn't one? If the UK were to decide on your master-plan and send the Irish unemployed back here, you would probably need a tent and a week's supply of nourishment each time you had to collect unemployment pay.

Wrong. Many of the 500,000 people born in Ireland could today very well be British citizens or have dual nationality. I don't have the figures. And also many are in northern Ireland, a totally different complex situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 niceguyjoe

this subjct cvould go on and on forever im really biting my tounge on here now

very gray area
    but i will say this.

letting people come to any country with no work when they get off the boat .. thats plain stupid

not to mention getting paid for it.. via welfare

• Advertisement

DrumSteve wrote: »
    say i apply for a job and i am german.

you apply for the same job and obviously you are irish.

Im a better applicant. i have a better attitude. i dont moan about perceived infractions from a minority. i have better qualifications. are you saying to me that just because the you were born in the same country as this job you should get this job ahead of me? even if i am the better prospective employee?

you see thats the problem with a large proportion of irish people, and i can say this being Irish myself. they just want ****in everything done for them and they begrudge even the smallest things. why werent you applying for these jobs during the good times if these jobs are so important?

I have no problem with anyone coming to this country to work. fair play to them. and if they get sacked after working here and paying tax then they deserve to claim the dole.

I have no problem with non-nationals working here if the position cannot be filled by an Irish national, no problem whatsoever. I have no problem with non-nationals getting social welfare if they have wrked a minimum of 2 years here, just as long as the ammount they recieve doesn't go above the initial ammount they have already paid in taxes. I see a clear difference between Irish nationals and non-nationals and the access each group should have to State benefits and to the right to work and job security.

The IRISH State has a responsibility first and foremost to the IRISH people.

The question isn't why didn't I apply for a job during the boom, how do you know what I did or didn't do. I may have worked, I may not have worked, I may have been in Ireland or I may have been abroad, I have no intention of going into that on boards.ie...lol

The fact is that things are determined by nationality, and rightly so. I can't vote for the President of France for example, why, I'm not French...is that fair, em, yes. I would extend that to social welfare and jobs.

Wrong. Many of the 500,000 people born in Ireland could today very well be British citizens or have dual nationality. I don't have the figures. And also many are in northern Ireland, a totally different complex situation.

I've got dual British/Irish nationality, being born in the UK of Irish parents. I would say that, barring a minuscule number, who for whatever reason fulfil the criteria, the high 90s percentage of the 500,000 would not be eligible for dual-nationality status.

niceguyjoe wrote: »
    this subjct cvould go on and on forever im really biting my tounge on here now

very gray area
    but i will say this.

letting people come to any country with no work when they get off the boat .. thats plain stupid

not to mention getting paid for it.. via welfare

Yes, it is plain stupid but that's what our sorry excuse for a government did. Some other EU States didn't but our glorious leaders did in their wisdom. Now they, in fact all of Ireland, are reaping the consequences. We could have introduced a work permit system.

I wonder exactly how much non-nationals are TODAY, these days, costing the State, not contributing to it? It isn't their fault though, they are caught in the middle of this mess. But the rules really do need to be changed.

I've got dual British/Irish nationality, being born in the UK of Irish parents. I would say that, barring a minuscule number, who for whatever reason fulfil the criteria, the high 90s percentage of the 500,000 would not be eligible for dual-nationality status.

I doubt your assumption very much. As far as I know and of course I may be wrong but Irish peole living in the UK can apply for naturalisation after 5 years, and vice versa.

And every single person in northern Ireland, again unless I am wrong has the right under the Good Friday Agreement (or perhaps pre-dating it) to apply for either British or Irish nationality or to have dual citizenship.

I doubt your assumption very much. AS far as I know and of course I may be wrong but Irish peole living in the UK can apply for naturalisation after 5 years, and vice versa.

And every single person in northern Ireland, again unless I am wrong has the right under the Good Friday Agreement (or perhaps pre-dating it) to apply for either British or Irish nationality or to have dual citizenship.

So there are what, a million in the north? Approx half of them are Irish??? So we're assuming there are 500,000 Irish citizens living in the north (UK). So that accounts for all of them right?

So that means there are NO people from the republic living in England??? :confused: Having lived in London, I can assure you that is certainly not true :D My personal assumption would be that the 500,000 Irish born people living in the UK would be those born in the republic... cos I've a feeling I met at LEAST half a million Irish when I lived in London :D

I doubt your assumption very much. AS far as I know and of course I may be wrong but Irish peole living in the UK can apply for naturalisation after 5 years, and vice versa.

Of course, anyone can apply for naturalisation, and if they're successful, they most certainly wouldn't appear as "Irish", or whatever previous nationality they held, on an unemployment statistic.

So there are what, a million in the north? Approx half of them are Irish??? So we're assuming there are 500,000 Irish citizens living in the north (UK). So that accounts for all of them right?

So that means there are NO people from the republic living in England??? :confused: Having lived in London, I can assure you that is certainly not true :D My personal assumption would be that the 500,000 Irish born people living in the UK would be those born in the republic... cos I've a feeling I met at LEAST half a million Irish when I lived in London :D

I am simply going by the figures which I have found, and yes it doesn't make any sense but those are the figures. Maybe they are excluding the north but I doubt it but who knows. But anyway, the UK doesn't really matter I am talking about non-nationals, excluding British citizens for reasons I have made clear.

Again, I am talking about what is good for Ireland, that's it. I am not saying it isn't selfish, of course it's selfish but why, especially now, shouldn't it be....Ireland can go on losing money to non-nationals and see our dole ques get longer and longer or the State can act (not that they probably will in any case, all this is simply my opinion. If people agree, fine. If folks don't, fine)

I am simply going by the figures which I have found, and yes it doesn't make any sense but those are the figures. Maybe they are excluding the north but I doubt it but who knows. But anyway, the UK doesn't really matter I am talking about non-nationals, excluding British citizens for reasons I have made clear.

Again, I am talking about what is good for Ireland, that's it. I am not saying it isn't selfish, of course it's selfish but why, especially now, shouldn't it be....

well by the good friday agreement, those Irish citizens living in the north would be living in Ireland wouldn't they?

Of course, anyone can apply for naturalisation, and if they're successful, they most certainly wouldn't appear as "Irish", or whatever previous nationality they held, on an unemployment statistic.

The figures I saw said: people born in Ireland

• Advertisement

well by the good friday agreement, those Irish citizens living in the north would be living in Ireland wouldn't they?

No, I don't think so. They would be Irish nationals living in the UK.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement