Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

advice on my mixer please

• 08-04-2009 7:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭

I use a Stanton SMX-251 3 channel mixer. I lost my ac adapter for it and sussed that the adapter for my external hard drive is the same size, just after I bought an adapter today ffs!!

Now I have tried it and it's a 12v where as my mixer says 9v. The light is coming on to indicate power but nothing else, no sound not even through my headphones from my mixer.

My problem is now I don't wanna open the adapter I bought today which has a variety of different heads for it and says range from 3 - 12...
    I am wondering whether it makes any difference the 12/9v or whether my mixer's had it. If so at least I can get a credit note for 25 quid!!

Help appreciated.

EDIT: Tried 9v as well and still the same, must have to use the ac adapter I got with it cause was working perfectly last time I used it. What a melt.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭franklyshocked

you might have fried it with the twelve volts dude.
    Just coz it fits is a terrible reason to use an alternative power supply.
    I worked in an electrical shop years ago and sometimes you can only run something with the original or a replacement from the manufacturer.
    Its not always the volts, there's also the Amps to worry about.
    Even if you can get a matching 9 volt power supply, unless its the same amps it just won't turn on either, or if its too high it will slowley burn out the contacts on the mixer.
    I know, i know, I'm not exactly giving you the best case scenario here.

You know this internet thingy, go to the manufacturers website and see about a replacement power supply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

I simply don't have the time to do that mate I need it for in the morning :eek:

Time to ring around a few shops today and hopefully get it sorted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,942 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Even if you can get a matching 9 volt power supply, unless its the same amps it just won't turn on either, or if its too high it will slowley burn out the contacts on the mixer.

The device won't draw more amperes than it needs and the power supply cannot supply them without it being drawn. You're right that it won't work if the amperage is too low but it won't burn out if its too high!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

This might seem obvious, but the adapters you have wouldn't be DC by any chance?

Advertisement