Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best SLR Digital camera

• 08-04-2009 8:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭

Hi folks, im new to this area but am interested in taking photos of aeroplanes going overheaed so can you give me a make,model and site to buy off please? Cant say money is "no object" but it isnt my largest concern.Also im into my technology so ease of use isnt that important either!

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

It's not the camera you need to be worried about - it's quality lenses to use with it. I think money might be a bigger issue once you start considering that :)

When you say aeroplanes going overhead, you mean what exactly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Nikon D3x or a Canon eos 1Ds MKIII

Budget please? :)

Actually, Ricky, I'd say 1D mkIII before Ds - By the sounds of things, aeroplanes might need the faster fps... I've never heard of a model moving at 400mph in a studio... :D

That said, if he wants better than the D3x or 1D.... there's always hasselblad...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭nilhg

Be a help to know if the planes will be 300ft or 30,000ft overhead.:D

Actually, Ricky, I'd say 1D mkIII before Ds - By the sounds of things, aeroplanes might need the faster fps... I've never heard of a model moving at 400mph in a studio... :D

That said, if he wants better than the D3x or 1D.... there's always hasselblad...

I'd say the 1Ds mkiii would be fine for a newbie,Full frame 5fps so good for planes at night...Yeah the hassleblad would be good at $31,000 not the cheapest but will give him good IQ.

As for glass i supose a 50mm f/1.0 and the sigma 200-500 f/2.8 and the canon 70-200 f/2.8 should do :pac:

ANd maybe the 1200 f/5.6 if he want's to do it from his living room :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

OK - I think that's enough of the wind up.

I know there is a lot of information missing but please try to give some more realistic advice.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Best professional:
    Canon 1d mk3 or nikon d3

Best sub 800 euro: nikon d90 or sony a700

Best sub 400 euro: sony a200 or nikon d40

As for lenses, thats a whole different kettle of fish......

landyman wrote: »
    Best professional:
    Canon 1d mk3 or nikon d3

Best sub 800 euro: nikon d90 or sony a700

Best sub 400 euro: sony a200 or nikon d40

As for lenses, thats a whole different kettle of fish......

Wrong!

40D is by far better than those two...

Ricky91t wrote: »
    Wrong!

40D is by far better than those two...

Thats debateable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

having used the 1d mkIII and the D3 side by side i'd prefer the AF of the nikon

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

It would be nice to have more details about exactly what is required to photograph these aircraft.

I am assuming that this will be more record shots rather than art. The lens is what will be important. Not sure what the light will be like when shooting, so cannot comment on the speed. I am also assuming that the more focal length available would be an advantage, so would be better to have a cropped sensor body.

I await more information.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Hi folks, im new to this area but am interested in taking photos of aeroplanes going overheaed so can you give me a make,model and site to buy off please? Cant say money is "no object" but it isnt my largest concern.Also im into my technology so ease of use isnt that important either!

Thanks in advance!

Hi.

I've actually shot some aircraft with a 350D and a short 18-55mm lens. It works. I suspect you'll want a little more zoom.

I'm of the opinion you'll need a bridge camera with a 10x optical zoom. Otherwise, look at a DSLR and a lens around 300mm. I don't know how much money you have to play with but realistically, an entry level SLR will probably be more than adequate for your needs along with a corresponding zoom, mostly 70-300mm. On the market at the moment, Canon wise you have 450D and 1000D and I think there's a 500D on its way. I think but am open to correction that the 1000D is the least expensive.

Sony Alpha side you have the A100 and A200.

For my own reckoning I use Canon cameras so have an obvious bias there. I think landyman may have more advice on the Sony's - I've used an A100 but found its autofocus less than user friendly. But I do know that value for moneywise and picture quality wise it is a good brand.

CabanSail is a Nikon expert and he might have greater info on that front.

I realise that you're kind of new to this so obviously you'll have more questions than answers. Effectively I wouldn't mind knowing what kind of in the air shots you're thinking about - I know some of they guys at the end of Dublin's runway would often use a 500mm zoom or longer (wish I had their money :-)).

if you think you'll be expanding your interest in photography I'd choose the DSLR. If not, go for the bridge and I think Fuji is probably the best option there at the moment. They have some very good 10x optical zooms and you really need the length if you're shooting into the sky.

Hope this helps.

A100 is a little long in the tooth now. Af on that was off the km 5d, which was never fast.

A200 is at least 25% faster auto focus then the is older brother

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭Bored-Stupid

Hey folks,

Sorry I went to the bed last night and this site is blocked at work so can only get on now. Thanks for all the advice.

Basically I am on a frequency forum and they are on about listening into ATC (Air Traffic Control) so I can listen when the planes are going overhead and go out and catch a glimpse....I can send you some photos I received on that site from other posters if anyone is interested. I would be interested in other things like photos of nature (mountains,lakes,etc) and so on (I also go to rallies so would be taking photos of cars speeding by) but I understand that it would be the lenses I would spend the most dough on and im sure this is a tight budget but between €500 - €800?? Am I being unrealistic?

I would like it to become a hobby of mine so if I need to spend a little more I would consider it.

Also am I right in thinking (at the fear of being abused) that Canon and Nikon are at the top of the DSLR game?

If your budget is between 500-800...then you were a bit crazy saying you're not worried about the money aspect.

Top end camera bodies alone cost >2-3 grand...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

for that money i'd go second hand D80, 70-300 sigma and a tripod

Also am I right in thinking (at the fear of being abused) that Canon and Nikon are at the top of the DSLR game?

You will not get abused .... unless some people really want a break away from the forum.

It is correct that Canon & Nikon are considered to share the top spots for DSLR Cameras, the order is a constant debate here. Both make excellent gear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭Bored-Stupid

I said money no object as I didnt think they were such an expensive bit of kit, as well as everything else you gotta buy....sorry for being a bit naaive!

So is second hand the way to go for me as punchdrunk suggests?

Yeah...that's not even the higher band of costs... That's only for those camera bodies...top range lenses can cost a few thousand too... :D 5-800 is generally a single item on most peoples shopping lists in photography!

And then, if you enter into hasselblads (cream of the crop)... you're talking 20-30 grand for an entry level camera system

It's not something I'd easily throw around the words 'money is no object' unless you won the lotto! :)

I'd say second hand would be a good a bet as any. Try adverts.ie :)

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭eeyore2502

I have a Canon 1000D with kit lens and a 70-300 lens I got second hand. I was at a match in Blackrock last week, during half time I noticed this plane going over head and took a shot, this was with my 70-300 lens.

3393853714_e9104d9285.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

at first you say money isnt an issue then you say that you have a tight budget (did you loose your job in between posts ? ;) )

Anyway - yes - Canon and Nikon are the current leaders in SLRs, you would really have to show us what kind of stuff you are trying to achieve, I've added a pic of a small plane that was flying overhead last weekend (Sun).

Advertisement