Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband Rollout Slowdown

Options
  • 08-04-2009 8:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭

I was told broadband would be enabled at my local exchange in the first quarter, then informed it would be the summer and now I get this email
    Thank you for your recent enquiry to www.broadbandAtoZ.ie.

Having consulted with our network engineers, I can confirm that the
    current provisional schedule for the enablement of the "Small Village Name"
    exchange is for the period October - December this year. This broadband
    roll out schedule is a provisional schedule and is therefore subject to
    change.

Please check www.broadbandAtoZ.ie for regular updates on broadband
    rollout across the country.

Kind regards,

The BroadbandAtoZ Team

Will all the cutbacks I wonder will it ever happen, mobile broadband isn't available and doesn't look like it ever will be.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭clohamon

By my reckoning;

53 Exchanges have been enabled this year so far.

18 Jan
    14 Feb
    14 Mar
    7 Apr

40 of the above are on the original 'Eircom 319' list.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,359 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

emailed www.broadbandAtoZ.ie. and was told me exchange is still on track to be done this yr oct-december

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭trekkypj

I just fired off an email to them too - Coon exchange was supposed to be upgraded in Q1 2009 - there has been some activity on and off with eircom vans and all that, but no sign of the broadband yet. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭trekkypj

Just got an email from the people at eircom. They too say Oct-Dec 09 for my exchange.

Wonder if they're telling everyone that? :(

trekkypj wrote: »
    Just got an email from the people at eircom. They too say Oct-Dec 09 for my exchange.

Wonder if they're telling everyone that? :(

I emailed them - but no reply (yet).

There are still 165 exchanges from the original Eircom 319 list to be done before the end of the year.

Thats over 20 a month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,359 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

clohamon wrote: »
    I emailed them - but no reply (yet).

There are still 165 exchanges from the original Eircom 319 list to be done before the end of the year.

Thats over 20 a month.

thats asking alot no?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

They have done 10 a week on occasion in the past and 6 this week alone

http://www.broadbandatoz.ie/lastest-news.asp?year=2009

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭fergalfrog

To my knowledge in some cases when Eircom goes to upgrade the exchange there can be unforeseen delays. It can be flooded or need extra work.

It's not til they start putting the shovel in the ground or open a box that this may become evident.

In my own 'small village' we have pretty much given up on useless politicians doing anything for us. By the time the NBS gets here everyone who wants broadband will already have it. We are still expecting our exchange to be upgraded in the next two months and this combined with fixed wireless will mean the take up of three's service will be zero. Presumably three will still get paid for this.

In any case mobile phone coverage here is terrible. Telling people to hold out and get broadband via a similar technology just isn't going to be believed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Eircom have never pulled an announced exchange in the past , they have missed targets but in the end they launched.

The only exception of note was the Barna exchange in Galway which was kiited out and launched and then pulled because they 'found out' that they were about to chop Furbo off it into a sub exchange and they did not want anybody in Furbo to accidentally get DSL .

So they pulled it after a few days on the market in 2005 . Furbo still does not have DSL 4 years later.

Barna was launched again 6 months later once the Furbo people were safely connected to their own exchange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

lol just looking at broadbandatoz.ie
    http://www.broadbandatoz.ie/your-area.asp?id=8

Intel and HP not planned. Presumably they have their own solutions but still just looks bad that two large employers in the IT industry won't get there area enabled for broadband.

There seems to be eircom staff at the Rahan exchange according to my father. Mucklagh and Rahan exchanges in Offaly are relatively close to each other so they might be doing both around the same time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭fergalfrog

lol

perhaps someone looked and thought 'Intel what do they do anyway? they probably don't need broadband'

Eircom seem to have upped the pace of rollout recently.

34 exchanges enabled this month (June).
    112 so far this year.

124 left to be done from 2007 list. (by Dec 2009)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Well Rahan is enabled but Mucklagh is not responding to my previous post. I guess its probably next. I would have taught more people in Mucklagh so more likely to be done but I think a lot of people in Rahan started using Mobile BB and Ice became available so I guess that might have factored in.

Eircom have a lot to do for the rest of the year.

89155.png

Advertisement