Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Backpacking camera equipment advice

• 08-04-2009 8:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭

Sorry for so many questions!
    I recently bought a nikon d40 as a cheap and lightweight camera to take some pictures with. I'm thinking of going backpacking to south america and was wondering about what i should and shouldn't bring. Which Lenses, whether or not to bring a tripod etc.
    I currently only have the kit 18-55 non-vr lens. I intend to take both landscapes and up close shots. Will i miss out on opportunities with its range? Should i consider getting another lens? I don't want to spend a huge amount of money on glass quite yet (I'm thinking around~€150-250).
    I've been tempted to get a 50mm prime as i've hear such amazing things about them but am unsure as to how 'usable' it will be. The manual focus would be another thing to manage, the last thing i want are great pictures spoiled by slight focusing issues and AFS primes are still very dear. Should i still consider it?
    I understand the beauty/point of dslrs is that you can switch lenses to suit the needs. However i don't want to be making regular changes in the jungle! :)
    So, i'm thinking of a lens which covers the majority of situations such as the 18-105/18-135/18-200 however these are quite expensive! I think i would prefer one of these rather than a combination though i could be persuaded! Are there cheaper alternatives from sigma or tamron? My hands aren't the steadiest so how important is it to have VR/HSM?
    I'll have quite a bit of baggage so space will be fairly tight. Should i bring a tripod/monopod? Am i drastically reducing my options by not bringing one?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Panhour

Hi Dango,
    I backpacked around South America last summer, I brought a film camera with me because it was easy to replace everything!
    I only brought one lens 24 -105 (& a polarizing filter) it just meant I had to work harder to get the images I wanted!!
    If you are going into the jungle a waterproof bag for your camera is essential! We didn't know before hand that we would have to wade in to our camp in the amazon basin with our bags over our heads!!
    I didn't have a tripod either, I traveled light, didn't draw attention to any of my equipment and I got on ok. I met a lot of people with their laptops and cameras and I just didn't want the hassle of minding it all!
    I'd go with what I had, and replace if I needed anything, we didn't get to Paraguay but met a few guys who had upgraded their complete camera kit there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Slidinginfinity

Buy a gorrillapod for the trip. They wrap around trees, fences and just about any thing else. I own the SLR and love it. I have even used mine to extend my reach over a crowd or for self portraits while traveling. Best part is they are small, not metal and not sharp points so it's a breeze though airport security.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

if your looking at primes on the cheap this should be your first port of call

http://www.nikonusa.com/Find-Your-Nikon/Product/Camera-Lenses/2183/AF-S-DX-NIKKOR-35mm-f%252F1.8G.html

hasn't hit the shops yet but i'm sure i'd be a beauty on a D40 as it's AF-S

Advertisement