Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alphabeat, The Ting Tings, Mgmt.

Options
  • 08-04-2009 9:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭

Some of the songs by these bands are really catchy and uplifting pop.
    Throw in CSS as well.
    IMO, there's something similar about their sound/image.
    What genre are they?
    And what other bands similar to them are worth checking out.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

don't thing they're the same genre really. maybe you could say they're all pop

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭X-Calibre

They're not all that similar but if you were to lump them all into one genre, I would say something like indie pop?

For more bands like them, have a look here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 *balconybabe*

Loving MGMT and M83 at the moment..saw MgMt last year and the atmosphere in the tent was unreal..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

don't thing they're the same genre really. maybe you could say they're all pop

LastFM lists them as similar tbh.
    Alphabeat and The Ting Tings especially.
    Mgmt less so, which is actually what i initially thought.

All have an interesting enough sound nevertheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I'd stick them in the category of 'overrated shite' tbh. They all portray themselves as this new uber cool indie sound when in fact it's just glorified pop drivel. Average and below albums from average and below artists, especially the Ting Tings.

But if you want a band similar to MGMT then there's a good chance you'll like Empire of the Sun. Might as well be the same band.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

Xavi6 wrote: »
    I'd stick them in the category of 'overrated shite' tbh. They all portray themselves as this new uber cool indie sound when in fact it's just glorified pop drivel. Average and below albums from average and below artists, especially the Ting Tings.

But if you want a band similar to MGMT then there's a good chance you'll like Empire of the Sun. Might as well be the same band.

Dunno. I like Alphabeat, moreso than the rest, despite the fact that they're probably quite a bit more pop.

They're pretty down to earth and they actually do have a fair bit of talent, they just happen to put it to (incredibly catchy) pop tunes.

Still don't get why people produce so much venom when it comes down to bands/music. Who cares, as long as the song is something you can either relate to, sing along to, or dance to. If the melody appeals, who the feck cares how/why it was produced or who produced it. Just enjoy the damn song.

liah wrote: »
    Still don't get why people produce so much venom when it comes down to bands/music. Who cares, as long as the song is something you can either relate to, sing along to, or dance to. If the melody appeals, who the feck cares how/why it was produced or who produced it. Just enjoy the damn song.

And if it isn't?

Criticism is as relevant as praise. I'm entitled to say something is awful just as much as someone is to say it's great.

Just because you don't like it doesn't make it awful. Just means it doesn't appeal to you. Two entirely different things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

And if it isn't?

Criticism is as relevant as praise. I'm entitled to say something is awful just as much as someone is to say it's great.

Indeed your opinion is perfectly valid, but largely irrelevant to the thread where the OP appears to be asking for more music along the lines of MGMT, Ting Tings and Alphabeat.

Surely to Christ, if you don't have a *relevant* opinion on that, why bother posting at all.

As mod of the gambling forum, how welcoming are you when somebody asks for genuine advice on, say, good internet poker sites and gets a response that 'gambling is immoral'.

The opinion is valid; it's also irrelevant.

Surely to Christ, if you don't have a *relevant* opinion on that, why bother posting at all.

I ask you to re-read my post, particularly this part -
    But if you want a band similar to MGMT then there's a good chance you'll like Empire of the Sun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

Fair dinkum. And your rationale for this part?

He asked what category/genre they fall into. That's where I'd put them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

The genre is Pop Music, characteristics include having watered down characteristics of other genres, easily passed as background music and an incredible emphasis on image.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

If you want way better but still upbeat electro funkish rock music go for Chromeo.
    Also Justice.
    Maybe Calvin Harris but you most likely heard all his stuffs at this stage.

I know it's not quite the same, but you could always rediscover Daft Punk, like Digital Love or something. Cute, enjoyable.

Or you could go the complete other route and go for really bad but incredibly enjoyable nerd-love-pop with Prozzäk. Songs like Omobolasire, Strange Disease, Sucks to be You, Wild Thing/Poor Boy Medley, etc.

Give Van She a blast, and Cut Copy.

Does It Offend You, Yeah? might appeal to you.

Just last.fm recommendation engine it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

tech77 wrote: »
    Some of the songs by these bands are really **** and depressing (in terms of the state of todays music scene) pop.
    Throw in CSS as well.
    IMO, there's something similar about their sound/image.
    What genre are they?
    And what other bands similar to them are worth checking out.

FYP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Not a fan of Alphabeat, but I love the other three bands mentioned by the OP.

You might like Asteroids Galaxy Tour. "Around The Bend" is one of the best pop songs of the past couple of years:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

I like MGMT and CSS, have you listened to Black Kids??

Not familiar with Alphabeat (yet)....not too gone on Ting Tings, one of their songs sounded like a ripoff of Franz Ferdinands Take Me out, and the video seemed like a rip off of The White Stripes 7 Nation Army!! Double whammy

Advertisement