Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone here had their bike stolen in UCD?

Options
  • 08-04-2009 9:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭

Hi, just interesting in hearing if UCD really is a blackspot for bike theft. I've heard the stories of white vans patrolling the place nicking bikes, fortunately I haven't had the pleasure. If you have been a victim, where on campus did it happen? I'm thinking about contacting buildings and services to try and improve facilities and would like to know if there is a big problem with theft.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭994

I had one taken in Belgrove. It only takes a few seconds to cut through your average bike lock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Got one robbed from Merville.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭triseke

my boyfriend left his bike in front of the library for a week and it was totally fine

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

My bike has uber locks of merciless death, so I don't really worry about that in UCD, and don't lock it anywhere accessible to somebody with an angle grinder, if I can help it...

But does anyone know what the story is with the wheelkicking up past the student centre? seems like half the bikes up that way are bent out of shape.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

The cycling forum could be a good bet to get answers. Probably some former students there who no longer post here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

I usually lock mine around the main part of campus where there is regulalry lots of people around. I would rarely leave it over night, and never leave it over the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

Had one nicked from beside the science hub.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭shanegj

my flatmate had one robbed from belgrove
    a friend had one robbed from the science hub area
    another friend had two robbed from beside library
    and another friend had three taken from science hub and library

i believe last year on average two bikes were stolen a day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭33% God

A friend of mine found a bike one day in a ditch. It was a wreck but he cleaned the muck off it and bought it back to UCD. He decided to do an experiment and leave it unlocked in Belgrove. When he came back 2 hours later it was gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭gebbel

I was a student in UCD from 1994- 1999. I had 3 bikes robbed during those years from the campus. 1 each from Belgrove, Merville and finally outside the Chemistry building.

It was rampant then, and I'm sure it still is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

shanegj wrote: »
    my flatmate had one robbed from belgrove
    a friend had one robbed from the science hub area
    another friend had two robbed from beside library
    and another friend had three taken from science hub and library

i believe last year on average two bikes were stolen a day

You are wrong, the average is 4 per day.

As a matter of interest, has anyone seen a bike robbed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭scop

BrightEyes wrote: »
    As a matter of interest, has anyone seen a bike robbed?

Indeed! Coming back from the Forum one night I stumbled on an attempted bike robbery, and the guys just sort of shuffled away when they saw me, but didn't seem too concerned (they were two rough looking big lads, and myself the average not too rough student). My guess is they simply waited for me to leave and carried on. I didn't know what else to do but told services on my way out and they just shrugged their shoulders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

Can I ask where you got this?

This doesn't overly surprise me, considering half the locks people use could be broken with my teeth, and I see at least 1 bike a week with the handlebars "locked" to a pole.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

My brothers had two stolen from Belfield... odd because they were never taken from the Terrace

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Tayto2000

Donny5 wrote: »
    Can I ask where you got this?

It's a Tribune factoid from about 2 years ago attributed to an anonymous source which has somehow become one of those 'everyone knows' things... Given their usual journalistic standards and apparent numerical illiteracy I'd be sceptical.

Tayto2000 wrote: »
    It's a Tribune factoid from about 2 years ago attributed to an anonymous source which has somehow become one of those 'everyone knows' things... Given their usual journalistic standards and apparent numerical illiteracy I'd be sceptical.

Good point... if they say 4 bikes go missing every day, and there were 400 people at last week's protest, I'd say 1 bike, maybe 1.25 at most go missing per day. A bike and a front wheel, maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

It seems that the res areas are the ones most vunerable. I always leave mine in the rack between the library and the arts building adjoining the delivery yard and have had nothing yet touch wood. Its the poorest quality rack on campus but is an area of high activity so hopefully that averts thieves

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

Tayto2000 wrote: »

The College Tribune? Right, so...

I'd say it's hard to estimate. I've heard of loads of bikes stolen, but around a thousand bikes a year is a lot.

It's a shame, anyway. Nothing worse than losing your bike. I lost one in town a couple of years ago. It was heartbreaking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭MuddyDog

If you use a black cock lock on your bike you'll be fine. Those locks are unbreakable.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Park it somewhere along the main promenade, generally outside engineering or the restaurant because these areas are frequently busy during the day.

A good lock is the best deterrent, these guys are looking for a quick and easy steal and generally won't be wondering if the Trek or the Lapierre has better wheels. Although things like discs and suspension seem to have a certain attraction, they will go for the quick and easy steal.

I have a kryptonite new york (big yellow and black U lock) that a lot of cycling forum people have, weighs a ton but it is really solid and seems to have worked so far (touch wood).

Try not to leave your bike overnight if you can avoid it, any lock can be broken given the right tools, time and a bit of seclusion for a thief.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 RazzoLazzo

who lives in Merville and his bmx was stolen in like the first 2 months, it was chained up and everything, what a sickner.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭liamygunner29

The girl that lives across from me in merville was brushing her teeth early one mornin and saw 2 fellas sawin at a lock and then taking a bike,they came back and did the same 5 minutes after..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭maninasia

Trinity the same, 3 bikes stolen over 4 years, when I was broke too.

The simple solution, good surveillance cameras would deter 80% and the other 20% with a decent security force, what's so difficult. You can see the young lads robbing them on campus..I can't understand why the situation hasn't improved in 10 years.....

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭randypriest

I know a guy who had a 2000euro racing bike stolen from outside the engineering building. He had two huge locks on it! People must prowl for good bikes

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Mine went AWOL from somewhere in front of the Arts building.

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭maninasia

Obviously if it was the college admins or lecturers cars getting stolen something would have been done long ago. In the face of inertia from them one solution would be to have a paid bike park (10 euro/year) where you could stick your bike while on campus.
    These things just need effort and imagination, it's not that hard to fix!

maninasia wrote: »
    Obviously if it was the college admins or lecturers cars getting stolen something would have been done long ago. In the face of inertia from them one solution would be to have a paid bike park (10 euro/year) where you could stick your bike while on campus.
    These things just need effort and imagination, it's not that hard to fix!

Thanks for volunteering to do something about it! Yay! Our saviour!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

I remember walking out of campus through the front gate at about 12 or so at night; two lads throwing bikes into a horse trailer en masse from near engineering. I range services, they didnt seem too pushed about the mass theft.

I would be somewhat suprised if there was not elements of security collusion. Probably not from the older services crew but perhaps from contractors.

Advertisement