Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone here had their bike stolen in UCD?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭rantyface

A third of my friends who cycle everywhere have had a bike stolen at some point. There's this idea people have that even cheap U-locks can't be broken.

A good lock is important, but just as important is that lots of bikes around your bike have crap locks.

This would make a good tribune survey, if they ever bothered to get a large enough sample size for the results to mean anything (4% of us have tried heroin apparently...).

Also could we somehow make it part of the security company's job to prevent bike theft? Is there any way of mandating them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

As a slight aside, when my brother was a student nurse in UCD. He had his car stolen from St. Vincent's Hospital. Much to his relief, the police recovered the car from the thieves in UCD :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 33 philhway

Have been a student in UCD for 5 years now. Have always used a bike to get around and have never had one stolen, although i frequently leave it on campus overnight and on weekends.

Trick is to buy a second hand bike that cycles well but looks like crap!
    Simple as.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 freshtodeath

philhway wrote: »
    Have been a student in UCD for 5 years now. Have always used a bike to get around and have never had one stolen, although i frequently leave it on campus overnight and on weekends.

Trick is to buy a second hand bike that cycles well but looks like crap!
    Simple as.

This.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Aru

just dont get a nice bike its that simple
    i have a cheap 2nd hand one that looks like crap but gets me from a to b...its never been stolen..often left ovr nite and i even left it in ucd over the summer cos i had no way to get it hme..
    had a lock alrite but it wasnt a great one.
    a good one would have cost more than the bike:p

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 405 ✭✭Econoline Van

The thing is though, if you're cycling a good few miles to UCD it's nice/imperative to have a decent bike and you shouldn't have to be worrying about it being stolen.

Why not have a monitored bike park and charge a very small fee for it. I'd pay. I mean, if my bike were to be robbed that's €500 or so to replace it straight off. I'd pay a tenner a year or something to KNOW my bike was going to be there every time I go out to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,447 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

MuddyDog wrote: »
    If you use a black cock lock on your bike you'll be fine. Those locks are unbreakable.

Speaking from experience......?

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭chave

Why not put some bikes in the hotspots , have security monitor them undercover and then pounce on the thieves when they strike. If they caught a few people word would spread what they are doing and should see the end of bike theft if people knew they could go to court over it. could easily film it also to show police for a conviction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

chave wrote: »
    Why not put some bikes in the hotspots , have security monitor them undercover and then pounce on the thieves when they strike. If they caught a few people word would spread what they are doing and should see the end of bike theft if people knew they could go to court over it. could easily film it also to show police for a conviction.

I still favor a proper monitered parking space for bikes. Although there are bike lockes which have alarms fitted to them in case they are opened without the key, I saw them on ebay

http://shop.ebay.ie/items/__bike-locks_W0QQQ5ftrkparmsZ66Q253A2Q257C65Q253A2Q257C39Q253A1QQ_sopZ3QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14

• Registered Users Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭maninasia

The thing is though, if you're cycling a good few miles to UCD it's nice/imperative to have a decent bike and you shouldn't have to be worrying about it being stolen.

Why not have a monitored bike park and charge a very small fee for it. I'd pay. I mean, if my bike were to be robbed that's €500 or so to replace it straight off. I'd pay a tenner a year or something to KNOW my bike was going to be there every time I go out to it.

That makes a lot of sense (well I did propose this already). A tenner a year to set up a secure area with a guard or at least some type of card system to get in and out and surveillance cameras. Would work a treat....
    It's disgraceful people think that you have to solve the problem by cycling crap bikes...wrong way to think about things.

I'm not a student but I'd encourage you guys to make it an issue with the student union.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=12767
    +
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=8494
    =
    GTFO my bike, cnut.

As long as you avoid locking it anywhere that could be easily accessed with a massive electric saw or a tank, these should keep your bike safe.

Nobody has any insight about the student centre -> sports centre wheels kicked to **** thing, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Tayto2000

I saw not one but 2 Giant Defys parked up at the lake with one of these or equivalent through the frame just, both wheels on one free to take away, the front on the other unsecured.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=19144

If either owner is reading this - please get a proper lock and secure your wheels!

Actually, it's a bit of a thief's wonderland down there today in terms of lights and cycle computers without even going near wheels or other such hardware...

Maybe the centre racks have to do with the bar? It's death to leave a bike locked up in temple bar after dark, maybe it's the same there. The ones left overnight opposite the old bar seem to take a bit of a battering too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

chave wrote: »

Nah security are too busy chatting amonst themselves, and looking for people with opened bottles of drink on their person to be even bothered about theft.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,404 ✭✭✭Goodluck2me

dyl10 wrote: »
    As a slight aside, when my brother was a student nurse in UCD. He had his car stolen from St. Vincent's Hospital. Much to his relief, the police recovered the car from the thieves in UCD :eek:

Was it a Pink beetle?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

Was it a Pink beetle?

Wow, talk about making assumptions just cos he's a male nurse!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Damn right, for all we know it could be a pink mini!:mad:

Advertisement