Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

applying for test

• 08-04-2009 9:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I have had my learners permit for two months now and would really like to go for the test(kind of need the license for my job). I heard that I can't apply for the test until I have had the learners permit for six months. Anyone know if this is true?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Hi all,
    I have had my learners permit for two months now and would really like to go for the test(kind of need the license for my job). I heard that I can't apply for the test until I have had the learners permit for six months. Anyone know if this is true?

As DonegalFella said, you can Apply whenever you like, However you can only sit your test after having your license for 6 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 475 ✭✭Richie15

Will they automatically give you a date after the six months, or will you have to check the date and cancel it if necessary?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

Richie15 wrote: »
    Will they automatically give you a date after the six months, or will you have to check the date and cancel it if necessary?

When your applying, theres a section saying the dates you wil lbe unavailable, put down there that you cant do the test until the date when you have license 6 months

Richie15 wrote: »

i believe there is a "comments" section on the application form, where you can state the date you can sit the test. ie six months after you received your license.

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭strangeloop

thanks for the advice everyone, much appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

Hi all...
    Question...
    is it that you have to have your learners permit 6 months or be on the road driving for 6 months?

because I am renewing my learners permit and my friend told me i have to wait 6 months before i can apply but if iv already had a learners permit surely i can apply whenever i want now?

Hi all...
    Question...
    is it that you have to have your learners permit 6 months or be on the road driving for 6 months?

because I am renewing my learners permit and my friend told me i have to wait 6 months before i can apply but if iv already had a learners permit surely i can apply whenever i want now?

You must have held your first learner permit for at least 6 months, it doesn't matter if you've been driving or not. There is no 6 month wait with a 2nd or subsequent permit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

You must have held your first learner permit for at least 6 months, it doesn't matter if you've been driving or not. There is no 6 month wait with a 2nd or subsequent permit.

Interesting.... I was under the impression that I had to be on the road driving for at least 6 months.... I got my first "provisonal" few years back and it expired, just got it renewed there at the weekend so now its a learners permit. How many months driving experience would you recommend having before applying for your test?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭Innervision

Yeah I applied for my test but I won't have my licence 6 months until June, and it just came up 'we cannot process a date for you yet' so I presume that's because they can see from my driver number that I haven't got it 6 months yet, cos it didn't come up on my brother's and he applied the same day!

Yeah I applied for my test but I won't have my licence 6 months until June, and it just came up 'we cannot process a date for you yet' so I presume that's because they can see from my driver number that I haven't got it 6 months yet, cos it didn't come up on my brother's and he applied the same day!

You can apply for your test at any date, however on the day of your test you must have held your license for at least 6 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I was under the impression that I had to be on the road driving for at least 6 months
    While there is certain logic to what you are saying, there is no way of implementing that as there is no requirement to have a vehicle in the relevant category in which one has applied for a test, nor is there any requirement to provide evidence of having taken lessons.

Theoretically speaking, one can lead an examiner out to a car for the test without the candidate ever having sat behind the wheel of any vehicle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

From what I've read in this Forum over the past few years, many younger people apply for it for ID purposes (presumably for alcohol/nightclubs etc) rather that for its actual purpose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

From what I've read in this Forum over the past few years, many younger people apply for it for ID purposes (presumably for alcohol/nightclubs etc) rather that for its actual purpose.

True true, most people i know tha have them actually dont drive atm, alot of people think they are easy to make fakes of aswell, but they just aint!

You can apply for your test at any date, however on the day of your test you must have held your license for at least 6 months.

Yeah that's what I mean, it appears from the new way of entering your driver number that they know this automatically and you don't have to enter it as 'days you aren't available to do the test'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 XoXMascaraXoX

Tried applying for mine there and i allowed my apply. Did they write u bk sayn date couldnt be proccessed or it came up online?

My email just said the usual, we have received your application and you will be notified 4-5 weeks before your test date etc., but at the end of the application process online it said 'we were unable to process a date for you at this time', since it didn't say this for my brother I presumed that it only comes up for people who haven't got their license 6 months yet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25 XoXMascaraXoX

So.. was ur card chaged for it.. lik since they sent you a normal reply even tho it then said "unable to process"??
    My email just said the usual, we have received your application and you will be notified 4-5 weeks before your test date etc., but at the end of the application process online it said 'we were unable to process a date for you at this time', since it didn't say this for my brother I presumed that it only comes up for people who haven't got their license 6 months yet.

Advertisement