Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Questions about renting

Options
  • 08-04-2009 9:49pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I'm moving back to Cork this summer after living in the UK for the past 4 years. I want to move out into my own place, and myself and the OH are planning on renting together for the summer, probably a 1-bed place in the city centre. Because he'll only be in Cork for the summer, we're only going to want a 3 or 4 month lease, as I won't be able to afford a doubled rent when he moves out. I've never technically rented before, so I have a few questions that I hope someone can help me with.

1. We're looking at paying a maximum of €600 a month between us. I've been looking at daft.ie and there's plenty of places available. However, what kind of inflation is there on the prices listed? That is, what kind of reduction could we negotiate? Should I be looking at places listed for €700 pm and then offering €600 pm or what?

2. Myself and the OH both live away from Cork, and neither of us will really be in Cork until we're ready to move into our new place, which will be towards the end of May. I'm home for Easter now, so I can look, but most places are available for immediate rent, and are unlikely to be help until the end of May. What's the best way to go about dealing with this? We'll have to view the places in person, obviously. He'll be starting a job in Cork and will need somewhere to live, whereas I can stay with my parents if I need. Should we just try to arrange a weekend where we'll both come to Cork, in mid-May or thereabouts, to view places? Or is there a better way to go about it?

3. Most places listed on daft are offering 1-year leases. Is it likely that landlords will be willing to offer a short-term lease for the sake of having tenants, or should we just look at places that advertise a short term lease?

4. Having not rented before, is there specific things I should look out for, or questions I should be asking?

Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Can anyone help with any part of the above? 77 views and no-one has answered :(.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

1 - offer 550 and negotiate around 600. This depends on the area if there are a good few for rent. ie, is it high demand or low demand?
    Install the toolbar in my sig to track rental price changes for your area.

2 - short term, they do exist and explain to the landlord. If you cannot afford to rent on your own, this may not be ideal or maybe get a friend to rent with you for the rest of the year?

3 - Regarding this. If you track how long gaffs have been advertised for rent and you see some there for months being vacant, you will have leeway on negotiating for a short term lease as having tenants for a few months is better than none at all for a landlord. Go and approach the landlord, all they can say is yes or no.

4 - Read the lease carefully like the small print so you know whats allowed and whats not allowed. Watch out for to see if bins/heating is included in rent or not and what type of heating is it!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Cheers! That link in your sig is awesome, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Look for "student" houses. These are usually taken during the year, but empty during the summer months. Also, they are usually let at a cheaper rate, to encourage people to stay there during the summer - otherwise the LL would be losing cash, as no-one would be there.

Advertisement