Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vigilance urged after attack on woman

Options
  • 08-04-2009 9:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭

This type of thing really makes me edgy..best publicised anyway

http://news.ie.msn.com/article.aspx?cp-documentid=15828881/
    The public is being asked to be extra vigilant following an attack on a woman in Galway city in the early hours of this morning.

The woman was set upon in the Foster Court area of the city as she walked to work at the nearby bus station.

A man, described as 5ft5in and who was wearing dark clothes, attacked her from behind.

He dragged her to a green area where a struggle ensued but she managed to remove his balaclava and he fled in the direction of College Road.

Gardaí say he may have received a bite mark on his hand during the struggle.

They are appealing to anybody who was in the area at 4.30am this morning to contact them at Mill Street Garda Station.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭bigeasyeah

Big tough man-attacking her from behind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

That is really scary. I live in that area and have in the past walked home after a night out thinking nothing of it because i live "in town" . My friends insisted on getting into their taxi home the last night and i think il have to be doing that from now on....

Christ , Thank God she got away. Small relief for me being 5 ft 7!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Good on her for fighting back! Hope this scumbag gets caught before he tries it again...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Gardaí in Galway have arrested a 31-year-old man for questioning in connection with an attack on a woman in the city earlier today.

A woman was set upon in the Foster Court area by a masked man but succeeded in escaping from him after a struggle.

Shortly after 8pm the 31-year-old man was arrested for alleged false imprisonment of the women and is being detained under Section Four of the Criminal Justice Act.

From RTE website..http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0408/galway.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭nobodythere

Scummy **** needs to be hung by his balls in public, this stuff makes me sick :( Glad she got away.

• Advertisement

eh i'm not 31

wow... cant believe they arrested someone so quick.. I guess if they dont get them in the first 48 hours its alot harder after that...

eh i'm not 31

didnt know ye had internet access in the holding cells in Mill Street!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

wow... cant believe they arrested someone so quick.. I guess if they dont get them in the first 48 hours its alot harder after that...

Or he has been doing smaller scale attacks in the area, they knew who it was and decided this time he had gone too far and decide to arrest him..

didnt know ye had internet access in the holding cells in Mill Street!

iphone ftw.

• Advertisement

Or he has been doing smaller scale attacks in the area, they knew who it was and decided this time he had gone too far and decide to arrest him..

well...um...yeah....that could also be it!
    iphone ftw.

um dont they take all your possessions off you before chucking you in a cell?! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭GalwayKiefer

um dont they take all your possessions off you before chucking you in a cell?!

If you can get brought in there with a pipe bomb I'm sure you can get an iphone into a cell :D

i just told the guard it was my oversized touch screen calculator and he believed me..

GalKiefer wrote: »
    If you can get brought in there with a pipe bomb I'm sure you can get an iphone into a cell :D

:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

it's bizarre, i live on forster court. it's the quietest estate ever. i got quite a shock when the guards rang the doorbell to interview myself and the housemates

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

The short arsed scumbag. Isnt he some hard man. Pity she didnt bite the sack off him

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I used to live in Bohermore and unless my hubby was with me there was no way I was walking home after dark.

But you know, when I was in college I would walk home by the canals (to the Claddagh) every day after dark, not much of a choice when you have no money really. I was always super vigilant though, if I thought someone was following too close I'd turn around and take a good look. Probably got a reputation as a weirdo, but I never had an incident thankfully.

I did frighten the bijaysus out of some woman one day. She had parked her car outside our flat (even though she wasn't a resident) and it was frigging dark down there, I was walking home (very quickly) behind her and when she turned down our driveway and I followed she freaked out and begged me not to hurt her! Em just trying to get home love!

I tell you you have to really be aware of your surroundings at all times, and when you've had a drink or two you can't be fully vigilant so a taxi is the only option.

well i always carry my keys on me, swing them (real casual like) on a lanyard when im walking home and i reckon theres enough metal on my keyrings to leave a lovely gash in the side of someones face should they dare attack me, also maybe temporarily stunning them while i have the head start to run away..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭nobodythere

well i always carry my keys on me, swing them (real casual like) on a lanyard when im walking home and i reckon theres enough metal on my keyrings to leave a lovely gash in the side of someones face should they dare attack me, also maybe temporarily stunning them while i have the head start to run away..

hehe there's that dylan moran thing where he says he puts his keys between his fingers if there's people coming towards him so "if I have to hit one of the ****ers I'll REEALLLY get him!". Hilarious

• Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

grasshopa wrote: »
    ...puts his keys between his fingers if there's people coming towards him so "if I have to hit one of the ****ers I'll REEALLLY get him!".

It's a great quote, but not recommended if there's a chance that an attacker will have bigger hands than yours: if they squash your hand with keys between the fingers, you hurt a LOT.

I keep a (sharp) key carefully poised between thumb and forefinger, ready to scratch.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

JustMary wrote: »
    I keep a (sharp) key carefully poised between thumb and forefinger, ready to scratch.

Unfortunately , a key isn't going to do much odds against someone who is intent on attacking you. It also relies on letting someone get close enough to be able to reach them, increasing the risk of them actually getting a hold of the thing and using it on you. The best thing to do is to keep aware of your surroundings and run like flip trying to draw as much attention to yourself as possible. Obviously if you're mistaken, you'll look like a wally, but better a wally than raped or murdered.

well by the sounds of this attack, it would seem that the woman probably went to work via the same route at the same time every morning, so obviously anyone watching her would know this. Perhaps it was premeditated?
    Whats that statistic about a percentage of rapes/attacks being carried out by someone the victim actually knows?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭mike kelly

so was this fella ever charged? has his name been made public? I live around that area.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭soundbyte

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement