Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

anyone used one of the newer lensbabies?

• 08-04-2009 9:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭

hey folks,eh the title said it all really! anyone tried this version

home-composer.jpg

this looks like a much better design than the old one i seen a couple of years back?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭stabo

What the hell can that do? never heard of it before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

basically a very cheap Holga like lens,it's got a "sweet-spot" in it's centre which you can move as the front of the lense is able to shift

on the old design it was a bit hard to use as it had to be locked in place by turning three "legs",this new one seems to have some sort of clutch in it

check it out

http://www.lensbaby.com/lenses-composer.php

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

so its basically a cheap tilt-shift lens...?

so its basically a cheap tilt-shift lens...?

kinda it will tilt the focus area but it doesn't really shift to correct perspective

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Anouilh

http://www.pictureline.com/newsletter/article.php?id=668

Does it have the same bright qualities of a 50mm prime lens?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Its also not particularly cheap. $270 is pretty expensive for a cheap glass meniscus lens on a swivelly mount. Better off making it yourself :D

1696478400_bc036ff656.jpg

1728754184_ad6206aaea.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭democrates

Its also not particularly cheap. $270 is pretty expensive for a cheap glass meniscus lens on a swivelly mount. Better off making it yourself :D
    Now that's the kind of hack that I love, except yours works! Can't have been easy making the light tight bellows, I remember looking at flexible ducting in Woodies for something similar but the right size in black wasn't there. There aren't enough hours in the day.

PS OP you can always check out flickr for sample shots of a lens eg http://www.flickr.com/photos/tags/lensbabycomposer/

thanks lads,eh i don't think it'll be getting DIY on this one though!

gonna pick one up soon,thanks lads :)

punchdrunk wrote: »
    thanks lads,eh i don't think it'll be getting DIY on this one though!

gonna pick one up soon,thanks lads :)

If you're shooting nikon, check if your camera can meter with it. I presume its not chipped so all the usual caveats apply. IE if your camera can't meter with manual focus nikkors then I'd imagine it won't with the lensbaby.

Hi Daire my D300 may not,I think the D1x will be grand though...

• Advertisement

punchdrunk wrote: »
    Hi Daire my D300 may not,I think the D1x will be grand though...

Actually, you should be fine with both. The D300 works fine with all the manual focus AIS and AI lenses so the lensbaby shouldn't give it any troubles in that regard. Its more the consumer bodies, D90 and below, and the fuji spinoffs that won't meter with MF lenses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 106 ✭✭Moonstar

I think the creative aperture accessories are the coolest things about the new lensbabies (don't have one, just looking at some of the photos taken with it).
    http://www.lensbaby.com/accessories-creative.php

It makes the bokeh all awesome along the lines of,

3208730597_f4e18347d2_d.jpg

2587678681_5275eb85d2_d.jpg

2951195559_b538c5dc6d_d.jpg

Think it comes with star and heart shapes, then blank discs so you can cut out your own aperture design.

Advertisement