Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

My first boxing match!Help Please!

• 08-04-2009 9:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭

Hello all,

I am a fairly new photographer, usually photographing transport (last year or two doing it). This May I am doing photographs for my local boxing club at a Boxing event (about 13 fights), does anyone have any advice on what ways to shoot, who to focus on etc.

I have a Canon 1000D with 18-55lens and a 75-300m lens.

Any advice will be great.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

You might be best off investing in a canon 50mm f./1.8 and setting the aperture to f/2.0 or f/2.8 so both boxers are sharp try and keep the faces in focus and do not use the flash unless as a last resort.In my opinion sports photos and a flash don't go well together but that's just me.

Next best thing is to practive.Get to some local training and shoot that and see how they come out,Don't be afraid to put the iso up too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Perfect fit

Hey - i do a good few of these type of events and cage fighting and a 50mm 1.4 or 1.8 is excellent, usually id set it on about 2.0 and let the speed take care of itself, usually with good results, if your into boxing you should be able to anticapate when the boxers are going to throw certain punches from body language, but if your not dont worry you'll get the hang of it after a fight or 2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭one2one

Pretty low on dosh but see what happens. I'm heading down to a few training sessions later on in the week, and I'll see how I get on from there.

No interest in boxing myself, hopefully I will be shooting from Ringside aswell. Will lighting conditions cause much of a problem?

Thanks for all replies so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,724 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

I'd reccomend a 50 mm f1.4 , the lighting is crucial, if your not using flash - not sure if they will allow flash ??

Speed is critical , so up the shutter speed as much as poss

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Perfect fit

one2one wrote: »
    Pretty low on dosh .[/B]

Maybe see about renting/borrowing one least then you'll know its worth the money and consider buying one in the future

• Advertisement

Does anyone know anyone who rents these?

Cheers.

Hi everyone, have been in contact with the event organiser, the lighting conditions should not be a problem as it should be fully lit. Anymore advice please?

PS. I've learned alot from reading on this forum, Thanks alot!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

just sent a PM - I might be able to help you.

Hi, I have replied to your Pm, thanks!

one2one wrote: »
    Hi everyone, have been in contact with the event organiser, the lighting conditions should not be a problem as it should be fully lit. Anymore advice please?

PS. I've learned alot from reading on this forum, Thanks alot!

I've photographed big fights - the lighting is usually crap (the promoter thinks it'll be alright to see the fight - probably doesnt know much about photographing it)

as for help with how to do it :
    2 options:
    - photo from ringside (through the ropes) and hope that you get some action.
    - photo from a slightly elevated position (over the ropes)

its more than likely you will use flash (or get grainy pics - which can also be nice) ....are the pics for print/newspaper or just for the kids/club ?

• Advertisement

The photographs are for the club and a website.. Cheers. Also, I will be ringside.

do you have access to the boxers before the event:

ie. for the website and/or fight night programme : player profile thing (head to waist pic or head/shoulders)

Yes I do. I will also be down in training with them over the next few days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,724 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

PCPhoto wrote: »
    I've photographed big fights - the lighting is usually crap (the promoter thinks it'll be alright to see the fight - probably doesnt know much about photographing it)

as for help with how to do it :
    2 options:
    - photo from ringside (through the ropes) and hope that you get some action.
    - photo from a slightly elevated position (over the ropes)

its more than likely you will use flash (or get grainy pics - which can also be nice) ....are the pics for print/newspaper or just for the kids/club ?

it seams impossible to get shots from over the ropes during a contest - certainly in my brief experience

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭Burnt

thebaz wrote: »
    it seams impossible to get shots from over the ropes during a contest - certainly in my brief experience

Step ladder :D

Advertisement