Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To drop or not to drop?

Options
  • 08-04-2009 10:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭

just wonderin did anyone else fail hons maths in the mocks? I did but i havnt dropped back. I want a C cause a course i like needs it but theres still a chance i could fail it which means il have to repeat. Really really dont want to repeat. Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Maybe see about getting a few grinds between now and the LC? Why did you fail? Usually people fail because a)they didn't work hard enough or b) they're not good enough. If you've been doing ok in maths up until now then you shouldn't drop, just work harder. But if you've always found maths hard and think you mightn't pass even with hard work then I'd drop. Also if your course requires a C or higher in honours maths it might have quite an intensive maths workload so maybe think about whether you'd be able for the maths in it or not. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Back Prince

Maths is kinda easy if ye can choose good questions which suit ye. For me its Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Q5 Q6 on paper one find it the easiest(sp). Then paper two Q1 Q2 Q3/Q4 Q6 Q7 and futher probability. O i love probability. Thats how i view it only danger is question could be a horrible nit

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,228 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Piste wrote: »
    Why did you fail?

Understanding why you failed is crucial.

If you can look at qs you did and have a d'oh moment where you see exactly where you went wrong, that is very different to someone looking blankly at questions and resorting to 'the teacher never did that with us'.

Did you attempt questions and make a bags of them or were you completely lost as to what the questions were about?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

I got 39 per cent in my mocks and Im definitely doing honours. It's totally doable, get a few grinds and otherwise just work, work, work. The more questions you do the better prepared you are, simple as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭--homeslice--

i failed maths.. 25%! AND i was doing grinds in the tute! but seriously, i dropped down and it's the best thing i've done! the ordinary paper is MUCH easier, obvs! you've gotta ask yourself whether you're gonna be a able to get a c1 in higher or an a1 in ordinary... looking at the ordinary paper i knew what was right for me!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭aine-maire

Just do the questions in the papers.
    All of them.

Only way to get the hang of it!

But if you're not prepared to work hard, there is zero point in staying in honours. I mean, the course is doable, but only if you put in a lot of work. (or maybe that's just me...!)

Have you talked to your teacher about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

How much did you fail by?If you get less than 30%, think about it, otherwise, I'd stay there.You'll need to work hard at it, if you can't do that due to other subjects, drop down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

i failed maths.. 25%! AND i was doing grinds in the tute! but seriously, i dropped down and it's the best thing i've done! the ordinary paper is MUCH easier, obvs! you've gotta ask yourself whether you're gonna be a able to get a c1 in higher or an a1 in ordinary... looking at the ordinary paper i knew what was right for me!

C3 = A1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭djcervi

Well does hl maths eat into a lot of your study time? In effect does this bring down the results of other subjects? If so maybe your solution is to drop. Then again if it doesn't maybe try and get some grinds.

I was contemplating a while ago whether Honors was worth it. I got a C2 in the mocks in Hl Maths (79% p1, 41% p2). In my results maths was counted for points. (got 485) so am guessing if I really work on p2 and continue working on P1, I can work that to a B3. Hopefully! Anyone in a similar situation?

OP What did you get in Maths in JC? If you did well maybe a bit of work will get you through if you understand the basics.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭meathawk

I got a C1 in the mocks in maths(65%) and I have no urge to drop down at all.It used to really eat into my study time but then just one day something click and now I study it whenever .I guess the hours of doing papers and months of maths grinds do pay off.Good luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭regob

if i was you i would drop to ordinary, there maybe other routes into this course you want, ask your maths teacher and careers advisor for advice

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭manutd4life

i failed maths (hl) in th mocks.got 28%.so i will defo be dropping down once i get back into school on monday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭ya-ba-da-ba-doo

i got 34%.. looking back i made alot of stupid mistakes in it, especially in paper 1.. the thing thats really pissin me off the most is that around christmas time i was getting results in the 80 - 90% region and now its like "where did it all go??!"

ive decided to stick with it anyway.. lets just hope i dont mess up.

thanks for the posts anyway lads! ;-)

Advertisement