Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Posting scores on-thread - PLEASE READ

• 08-04-2009 10:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭

SCORES & SPOILERS:No posting of any scores in the thread subject lines. Such posts will be deleted as soon as they are seen. Remember some people still record matches to watch later. Also please user a spoiler tag to indicate the thread contains scores

This needs updating.

There's been a number of occasions recently when scores have been posted on threads that are not concerned with that particular game. In some cases that has been compounded by the fact that the poster has not even used spoiler tags.

We need to remember that some posters do like to record games, or watch highlights, without knowing the score from the game.

IMO there's no need to post scores from other games in a specific match thread, or in a matchday league thread (e.g. La Liga updates are out of place in a PL thread) If you must post updates from other games, please ensure you use spoiler tags and state clearly outside of the text covered by the spoiler that the spoiler refers to another game

I will be asking my fellow mods to consider a permanent change to the forum charter.

Finally, did yis learn nothing from these boys?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

If you must post updates from other games, please ensure you use spoiler tags and state clearly outside of the text covered by the spoiler that the spoiler refers to another game

I don't see why we need to include this provision - why would anyone ever need to post another game's score? Outright ban imo...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

1+ on this therecklessone

great idea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

We need to remember that some posters do like to record games, or watch highlights, without knowing the score from the game.

Arse they on the internet posting and in the games that they ARE watching the score from other games is flashing up everytime a goal is scored.

Do they post on RTE/SKY/ITV forums asking them not too. Or close their eyes when it comes up

its possible to watch one game on tv and another on the web if you want, people on forums generally stick to one thread and stay with it for the night imo that happens a lot on boards due to the activity of this forum.

i was watching barca but reading the pool thread and watching bits of it on rte.ie scores for both appeared on each game as it was scored in the other same way it does on premier league days.

dreamers75 wrote: »
    in the games that they ARE watching the score from other games is flashing up everytime a goal is scored.

False.

keane2097 wrote: »
    False.
    True.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

I don't see why we need to include this provision - why would anyone ever need to post another game's score? Outright ban imo...

Whatever the merits of your argument, suggesting a ban for this is way OTT.
    Arse they on the internet posting and in the games that they ARE watching the score from other games is flashing up everytime a goal is scored.

Do they post on RTE/SKY/ITV forums asking them not too. Or close their eyes when it comes up

Arse nothing. I've had a number of complaints from posters over the last few weeks related to this. At a very minimum, I would have thought posters would be capable of showing some courtesy to their fellow posters.

I've never noticed RTE showing updates on CL ties during live transmission of their main game.

False.
    True.

Quit this please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Do they post on RTE/SKY/ITV forums asking them not too. Or close their eyes when it comes up.

RTE do not update the scores from other games that they intend to show highlights for later in a program.

Arse nothing. I've had a number of complaints from posters over the last few weeks related to this. At a very minimum, I would have thought posters would be capable of showing some courtesy to their fellow posters.

I've never noticed RTE showing updates on CL ties during live transmission of their main game.

RTE dont do it as they want to stay on longer to watch more ads.

Setanta UTV and SKY do it, your the mod do what you want but imo people on the internet posting on the games as they happen really shouldnt be bitching about scores being posted as some people just have one thread open for the night and as they watching and whack refresh. They dont use BBC or Livescore or footyflash or gol.com

Seems to me a couple of people pissed off rather than the majority.

Imo of course.

You are the only dissenting voice I've heard so far.

• Advertisement

You are the only dissenting voice I've heard so far.

The others still in the threads they watching ;)

Tis not my call just my opinion, tis yours. Make it part of the charter and make us all read it. We all know how stickys work :D

/balls i posted in 2 of them tonight....BUT in general :)

To clarify, a complete ban on the practise itself, not a ban on the posters.

Setanta UTV and SKY do it, your the mod do what you want but imo people on the internet posting on the games as they happen really shouldnt be bitching about scores being posted as some people just have one thread open for the night and as they watching and whack refresh. They dont use BBC or Livescore or footyflash or gol.com

Imo of course.

Why can't you just stop doing it? What do you get out of it?

If the scores are so ubiquitous that everybody already knows them then what's the point of you posting them in the first place?

The only possible reason is to inform people who don't already know the score, thereby ruining it for people who have spent the night deliberately avoiding it.

What can you possibly be getting out of doing this? The mind boggles...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Imo of course.

But posting a score from another game is at worst irratating and at best pointless. If I want to know the score, as you said, I can check livescore, score centre etc. If I don't please respect it.
    The only time I could understand posting scores is on league final day if results in other games effect your team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,354 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

I must say if I felt so aggrieved about someone posting scores, I would probably avoid using a football forum at all until after I have watched the whole recorded game/highlights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I remember I was posting in the italy v ireland thread and some one posted the score to the Bolivia v argentina match

I was fair pissed off, I was hoping to watch that match after the ireland match

Why can't you just stop doing it? What do you get out of it?

If the scores are so ubiquitous that everybody already knows them then what's the point of you posting them in the first place?

The only possible reason is to inform people who don't already know the score, thereby ruining it for people who have spent the night deliberately avoiding it.

What can you possibly be getting out of doing this? The mind boggles...
    ShooterSF wrote: »
    But posting a score from another game is at worst irratating and at best pointless. If I want to know the score, as you said, I can check livescore, score centre etc. If I don't please respect it.
    The only time I could understand posting scores is on league final day if results in other games effect your team.

So neither of you post on the PL day threads or CL day threads or LOI day threads only the MYTEAM vs others threads.

More to boards.ie that just the MYTEAM threads. Pretty sure there are entire websites in the world for MYTEAM

As he said the mind boggles if thats all you post on

bit gay forcing your opinion on an entire forum of different minded people tbh.

I must say if I felt so aggrieved about someone posting scores, I would probably avoid using a football forum at all until after I have watched the whole recorded game/highlights.

I don't see why, if you are restricting your use to a particular thread, you should be bombarded with completely unrelated scorelines. I enjoy posting as I watch one game, it doesn't mean I should be forced to know the scoreline of an entirely different one, especially when it's so easy for people to just not do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Look, it's really simple. If there is a team x vs team y match thread, then posting anything about the match between teams a and b there is automatically OT. No - one is saying you can't post scores updates in a general PL or CL match week thread.

So neither of you post on the PL day threads or CL day threads or LOI day threads only the MYTEAM vs others threads.

More to boards.ie that just the MYTEAM threads. Pretty sure there are entire websites in the world for MYTEAM

As he said the mind boggles if thats all you post on

bit gay forcing your opinion on an entire forum of different minded people tbh.

I avoid threads where I would expect to see the score of any game I intended watching after the fact. If I wanted to know the scores of games I wasn't watching I would go to the threads you've mentioned, if I decide I don't want to know these scores I don't go to these threads.

What part of this are you not getting?

I don't need you to come along into unrelated threads telling me what the score in the other game is - if I want to know, I'll check the thread that's already there.

• Advertisement

Headshot wrote: »
    I remember I was posting in the italy v ireland thread and some one posted the score to the Bolivia v argentina match

I was fair pissed off, I was hoping to watch that match after the ireland match

That is a perfect example. It was an honest mistake by a relatively new poster on the forum, who apologised when I sent him a reminder PM.

If I wanted to be a hardass, the score update was off-topic.

What part of this are you not getting?

the fact your on the internet and imposing your whingy opinion on the majority of football fans on this site who are quite content with one thread for all an updates are a blessing.

thats the part im not getting.

That is a perfect example. It was an honest mistake by a relatively new poster on the forum, who apologised when I sent him a reminder PM.

If I wanted to be a hardass, the score update was off-topic.

but the argentina game wasnt live on TV (sky showed it delayed) why give in to the one person on the internet who isnt watching it live

fooking hell thank god you lot arent La liga fans with sky showing halfs of a game that ended 4 hours ago.

the fact your on the internet and imposing your whingy opinion on the majority of football fans on this site who are quite content with one thread for all an updates are a blessing.

But if there's already a thread with all the updates why do you need to go into a totally different thread and post an irrelevant scoreline in there?

You might as well go onto some thread in Personal Issues and say "Yeah you should dump your boyfriend and oh by the way it's 2 - 0 to United".

I just don't get why you're insistent on posting information on the wrong threads?

Can't you just do what everybody else on the entire site does and post relevant information in relevant topics?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

you are still a majority of one.

LuckyLloyd has clarified this pretty well above.

If there's a general PL thread for the weekend then scores from PL games are obviously going to be allowed.

If there's a general CL thread midweek then CL scores are going to be allowed.

If a person goes on to next week's Chelsea vs Liverpool thread and provides updates from the Bayern vs Barca game I am asking that they use spoiler tags at a minimum so that other users do not find out the score from a game they would like to watch later. I could simply state that we will delete all off-topic posts from match threads in future, but unfortunately the time delay involved might mean that other users see posts related to other games before we get a chance to act.

I don't think it is too much to ask that you would have a little consideration for other users of this forum.

This thread has a limited life span as an open discussion.

That's because the lone dissenting voice will eventually have to go to sleep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Sorry, way off topic here...

without feeling strongly enough to start a brand thread, would it be possible to divide the match threads up into pre/during and after?

Normally after I come back from watching football I like to get some reaction, and depending on the game, for example the recent Man Utd-Liverpool game, I like to read comments from during the game as well, and always end up on page 40 working my way back to 17.

Tis a slight annoyance and is why I usually end up avoiding big match threads.

I think it would improve the forum in general slightly.

LuckyLloyd has clarified this pretty well above.

Like most stickies today, not my problem to say what is and isnt said on this forum anymore.

Your job now to make charters and ****, i objected to this idea and have put forward my case reasonably well imo.

Your call now but bear in the mind the majority havent spoken only a couple of pissed off pool and united fans.......or are they the majority you need to cater to ?

• Advertisement

Sorry guys, I don't want this thread to descend into a general discussion on how the forum runs, and I'm off to bed soon so I'm going to close it now.

I appreciate everybody's feedback, if you wish to continue this debate with me feel free to PM me. I promise that I'll take on board any comments you have (and that applies to any subject)

Thanks.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement