Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone on Weight Watchers?

• 08-04-2009 10:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭

I want to lose about 7lbs for an occassion in middle of May so my mum, aunt and I all had our own little weigh in last wednesday week with a weight watchers own brand scales. I stuck religiously to my allocated points, excercised, cut back on booze and I was UP 1lb yesterday, nearly got sick...felt so deflated as mum and aunt both lost 2lb and 1lb respectively. We all weigh a couple of lbs over 10 stone so its not as though they are alot heavier than me and it was easier for them to lose. My brother who is into fitness said I could have gained muscle from walking, but I only walk the dog half an hour a day so is wasn't as if I was pounding on a threadmill for an hours on end turning fat into muscle. Any one got good tips that worked for them???

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Yeah, forget about WW.

Eat RIGHT
    Exercise HARD

Exercise is worthless without a correct diet.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭mini mouse

my mum did weight watchers a while ago and found it fab ....she had tried easyslim etc but was starving on it !!! It basically changed her lifestyle rather than focusing on a 'diet'!

Don't be disheartened by the first week..... keep going for another few and see how it goes. my mum had about 1st to loose and lost it 1-2lbs per week and has kept the weight off for over a year!
    I know that she tries to eat small meals regularly rather than 3 large meals....helped for her ! Although she doesnt drink alcohol at all so ?
    also it you could be just retaining fluid depending on you're cycle etc , or as you're brother said gaining muscle!!

Best of luck with it !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭misssaucie

Thanks so much for the encouragement, with my mind being so focused on achieving my goal weight I totally forgot to take into account that my cycle adds a few lbs!!! That makes me feel alot better because I'm due on in next day or so, so that explains the 1lb gain :D congrats to your mum for keeping it off!
    mini mouse wrote: »
    my mum did weight watchers a while ago and found it fab ....she had tried easyslim etc but was starving on it !!! It basically changed her lifestyle rather than focusing on a 'diet'!

Don't be disheartened by the first week..... keep going for another few and see how it goes. my mum had about 1st to loose and lost it 1-2lbs per week and has kept the weight off for over a year!
    I know that she tries to eat small meals regularly rather than 3 large meals....helped for her ! Although she doesnt drink alcohol at all so ?
    also it you could be just retaining fluid depending on you're cycle etc , or as you're brother said gaining muscle!!

Best of luck with it !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

hey miss, im on ww, some weeks you lose and some you dont, the thing i found the best for me was drinking loads of water and gettin more active even little things like walking up the stairs instead of using lifts and stuff like that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

Theres a WW thread in the Nutrition & Diet forum: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055408936 , lots of regular WWers post there.

you could have gained muscle if you were exercising LOADS but half an hour a day seems unlikely.

have you been writing down what you eat? try writing down & pointing every single thing that passes your lips, including things like a chip you robbed from someones plate etc., and see if that helps. its easy to go over without even realising it.

other possibility would be have you been eating enough? if you're undereating your body will store everything you eat as far because it doesnt know when it will next get some food (thats might not be the exact reason but thats my general understanding of it).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,031 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Moved from Fashion&Appearance...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

When you're allocating your points don't forget to weigh, especially for the first week or so til you get familiar with the correct portion sizes. This can cause issues. WW is really good, I've lost over a stone, with more to go, and am keeping it off. But it's not about a diet but rather a change in how you think about and choose your food. You know your daily limit and you chose accordingly. You can always not listen to leaders and make poor choices and lose weight still, but ultimately the leaders are promoting a low GI, low refined carb, low saturated fat way of eating that will help you to lose and keep off the 7lb.
    Best of luck :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 ilovelamp81

Yeh I agree with Barbiegirl its all about portion size, so weighing cereal and pasta and anything you normally just fill a bowl of take a handful of is best to weigh. Im a ww chick too and have weeks where I give it 100% and come away with a 1lb loss (1 off is better than 1 on), but its the next week where you'll see that hard work pay off. Keep at it, because it reallly works!! Best of luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭J-Fit

misssaucie wrote: »
    I want to lose about 7lbs for an occassion in middle of May so my mum, aunt and I all had our own little weigh in last wednesday week with a weight watchers own brand scales. I stuck religiously to my allocated points, excercised, cut back on booze and I was UP 1lb yesterday, nearly got sick...felt so deflated as mum and aunt both lost 2lb and 1lb respectively. We all weigh a couple of lbs over 10 stone so its not as though they are alot heavier than me and it was easier for them to lose. My brother who is into fitness said I could have gained muscle from walking, but I only walk the dog half an hour a day so is wasn't as if I was pounding on a threadmill for an hours on end turning fat into muscle. Any one got good tips that worked for them???

I also agree that you should kick the WW and do it the proper way. As for only losing 1 pound in a week? Several processes are at work here. Firstly it makes no sense whatsoever to weigh yourself after a week. You wont have lost any fat at all. I mean that. Neither did your aunt and neither did your mum. Your metabolism will take at least a couple of weeks to start turning over more calories and using your own fat mass for fuel. Why did they weigh less? Sheer chance. A glass of water could have made you 1lb heavier while not having eaten in 3 hours may have made your aunt lighter. 1lb up or down means absolutely nothing. +/-3lbs two weeks later is the start of something meaningful. Your extra weight gain wasn't muscle either because you can't attain dramatic muscle hypertrophy through running. If anything you'll fuel the activity with your muscle mass. Neither can you turn fat to muscle or vice versa.

Do not place such emphasis on what the scales says. It's just a number. The scales says nothing about your body fat %. I am far heavier than some of my overweight friends but you'd never know it because my body fat is much lower. Also in relation to scales: I weigh myself every morning. Sometimes just out of sheer curiosity I jump up after eating breakfast after which I usually weigh 3 lbs heavier. Did I get fatter in the space of 1/2 hour? Absolutely not. I just have a load of porridge in my belly! Don't be so hard on yourself. If you turn up at WW and your a pound heavier it means absolutely nothing whatsoever. Assess your results after a few weeks. It will be more representative of your progress.

Advertisement