Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Please help - new PC wont turn on!

Options
  • 08-04-2009 10:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi guys, just got a new gaming PC from HWVS - which arrived yesterday - and it's not working!

I got HWVS to assemble the PC but I thought that they shipped the PC with a few cables that needed to be plugged in by the user. So when it arrived I opened up the case (Antec 900) and had a look. However, it didn't look as though there were any components that needed to be plugged in so I went ahead and booted it up. I installed XP without issue and the PC was working fine (though I didn't do much after the XP install as I had work the next morn). So, I powered off the PC (via Start>Shut Down) and unplugged the main power cables.

I was talking to a friend who had recently bought a PC from HWVS and he said he had to plug in several cables in the case (about 4) so I decided to have another look inside when I got home today...Again I couldn't see anything amiss (tho I'm no expert!) so I closed the case, plugged power cable in etc and tried to turn it on - only nothing happened. There doesn't seem to be any power at all getting thru and I've no idea what the problem is! I've tried 2 different power cables (which I tested with the monitor so I know they're both fine) so it's obviously the PC itself. I didn't really touch anything inside the case - mostly just looked around as everything seemed ok.

Would greatly appreciate any help and advice with this! Cheers.

E8500, Corsair VX550, MSI P45 Neo2-FR, Antec 900, Club3D 4850 etc.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭ooPabsoo

are the lights on the mobo going on or is a fan starting? any sign of power at all?......make sure the psu switch is set to on?lol

• Registered Users Posts: 14 FunkadelicNess

No, there's no sign of life. Yes, the switch is set correctly. Nice try tho. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

the mobo is giving off the usual beep when the power is on right?

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭toco123

Near the bottom of your computers motherboard you have the cables that lead to your power button.

If you know which way they go in take them all out and remember which place and direction they go in. They will be only about 4 or 5 of them.
    Using a screwdriver, short the pins on the mobo marked power, two pins usually black and red. See if you get any life from the computer.

Could be as simple as a faulty power cable, or one of those cables fell out of place.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

+1. Test with another mains lead and then try removing the case header and shorting the power-on contacts on the motherboard. Also check to make sure that there isn't anything pushing down on the little power and reset buttons actually mounted on the mobo itself (they're just above the USB headers at the bottom of the board)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭toco123

^Oh yah, thats a good one, change the mains lead (kettle cable).
    I've gone through hundreds of these before. Sometimes they stop working for no reason (well im sure there was a reason!).
    You could even borrow the one from your monitor just to test if the PC comes on.

Hey thanks for the responses. I haven't gotten a chance to have a proper look since but I think I know what the deal is - if I'm right it's gonna be pretty embarrassing! Anyway I think that I dislodged those small cables for the buttons and LEDs - I'm not all that familiar with the insides of cases so I'd never seen them before and didn't realise their relevance (also I think my last PC had different and dated button cables). So I watched a few PSU hookup vids on youtube and now I'm pretty positive that's why my PC isn't getting its juice. I'll have a look when I get home later and let yous know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

Hey thanks for the responses. I haven't gotten a chance to have a proper look since but I think I know what the deal is - if I'm right it's gonna be pretty embarrassing! Anyway I think that I dislodged those small cables for the buttons and LEDs - I'm not all that familiar with the insides of cases so I'd never seen them before and didn't realise their relevance (also I think my last PC had different and dated button cables). So I watched a few PSU hookup vids on youtube and now I'm pretty positive that's why my PC isn't getting its juice. I'll have a look when I get home later and let yous know.

Well if that is the reason: you'll never make that mistake again!:pac:
    We all learn the hard way.....

Hey, I'm trying to reconnect the 3 2-pin cables for the buttons and LED but I don't know which wire is positive/negative as they're not marked. The 3 cables are coloured as follows: Power switch cable (white/black), Reset switch cable (white/purple) and HDD LED cable (white/blue). Does anybody know which colour is pos/neg on the cables - it's a Corsair VX550 if that helps..thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

Hey, I'm trying to reconnect the 3 2-pin cables for the buttons and LED but I don't know which wire is positive/negative as they're not marked. The 3 cables are coloured as follows: Power switch cable (white/black), Reset switch cable (white/purple) and HDD LED cable (white/blue). Does anybody know which colour is pos/neg on the cables - it's a Corsair VX550 if that helps..thanks!

The cables you are talking about do not run from your PSU....
    These cables are coming from your antec 900 case.... these are for the power button and leds which are on your case, they have nothing to do with the PSU.

Start with the power button, try connecting it with the writting on it facing out.

If this does not work, reverse it. Once you have the pc powering on you can worry about the leds and the reset button.
    9Make sure you have the motherboard manual in front of you and you are def hooking up the hat switch on the power button cable to the correct pins on the motherboard.)

Thats all you need to do. TBH the part I hate most about building is hooking up the case buttons/LEDS. Tis always fiddly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

Look at the back of the connector and you will see a small triangle next to one of the holes. That is the +. Have a look at the switch and change the lead if you have one or swap it with the lead for the monitor.

Is there some sound when you power on?

Hey guys, got it working there. I was wondering what that little triangle meant...don't see why they don't just stick a '+' there instead! Anyway thanks for all the help!

Advertisement