Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Got the single ring of death

• 08-04-2009 11:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

What the **** do I do??

Phoned xbox demanded to speak to tthe supervisior she said its out of its warranty so I have to pay £100 to get it fixed. Has anybody anyadvice or good links for help. As microsoft is ****e please help me!:confused:

Is it worth me getting a new av cable as I heard it can be that sometimes???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Try taking out and then putting back in the cables etc. How old is the XBox? If it's less than three years old it's covered for the RROD, so you could always "hope" than it turns into three rings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Manager

amacachi wrote: »
    Try taking out and then putting back in the cables etc. How old is the XBox? If it's less than three years old it's covered for the RROD, so you could always "hope" than it turns into three rings.

Took out the av cable and the red ring goes away do you reckon its worth buy a new cable?

You only get a one year warranty ive already cheked and i bought it in 2007

The three year warranty only applies to the three red rings. Have you a mate or anyone you could borrow a cable from? Are you using the component? If so try switching it to composite to see if it works then.

Are you using the component? If so try switching it to composite to see if it works then.[/quote]

Sorry mate im not sure what you mean there???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

There is a theory that the NXE update changed RROD to e74 error. The reasons for both faults are the same (loose solder connections under GPU). There is a hell lot of those after the update, and the fix is the same.
    This might sound like conspiracy theory but e74 is covered only under 1 year warranty and RROD by 3 year warranty = M$ finally found solution for RROD.

• Advertisement

What cable are you talking about? The one from the XBox to the TV? Component involves putting 5/6 small plugs into the TV, Composite is putting 3 of them in, or through the SCART adapter.

amacachi wrote: »
    What cable are you talking about? The one from the XBox to the TV? Component involves putting 5/6 small plugs into the TV, Composite is putting 3 of them in, or through the SCART adapter.

Yeah i was going to buy a new cable that connects from the xbox to the tv.

docentore wrote: »
    There is a theory that the NXE update changed RROD to e74 error. The reasons for both faults are the same (loose solder connections under GPU). There is a hell lot of those after the update, and the fix is the same.
    This might sound like conspiracy theory but e74 is covered only under 1 year warranty and RROD by 3 year warranty = M$ finally found solution for RROD.

yeah I updated amonth back after I got street fighter. I reckon thats whats happened!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

shake it and hope ya get rrod then you are covered by warranty

Newer 360s have cooler running CPUs, which in turn means less RRODs.

But the GPUs are still the same, and when the connection between the GPU and the HANA chip above it go causes E74.

Which is why E74 is becoming more prevalent with newer 360s.

My advice is send it back as an intermittent RROD and they will 99% fix it, there not going to sit there for hours waiting on it to red ring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭TheMooseInNam

cisk wrote: »
    Newer 360s have cooler running CPUs, which in turn means less RRODs.

But the GPUs are still the same, and when the connection between the GPU and the HANA chip above it go causes E74.

Which is why E74 is becoming more prevalent with newer 360s.

My advice is send it back as an intermittent RROD and they will 99% fix it, there not going to sit there for hours waiting on it to red ring.

Wow, I've heard so much about the E74 in the last few months... the NXE has definitely raised this as the next big issue. Check out JoyStiq Xbox's website, they've done a survey on the E74 issue post/pre NXE... it's definitely on the increase.

Also check out their Podcasts, I think 109 or 110 actually discusses what are the best options to take should you suffer E74.

Ultimately, MS are going to have to offer extended warranty for E74. It's just become too common and is obviously yet another generic 360 problem.

There are a few unofficial fixes you can try (Google them) but I wouldn't go tampering with the console too much in case you void the extended warranty.

Wow, I've heard so much about the E74 in the last few months... the NXE has definitely raised this as the next big issue. Check out JoyStiq Xbox's website, they've done a survey on the E74 issue post/pre NXE... it's definitely on the increase.

Also check out their Podcasts, I think 109 or 110 actually discusses what are the best options to take should you suffer E74.

Ultimately, MS are going to have to offer extended warranty for E74. It's just become too common and is obviously yet another generic 360 problem.

There are a few unofficial fixes you can try (Google them) but I wouldn't go tampering with the console too much in case you void the extended warranty.

Some good advice there thanks looked at that site as well its very good.

But it still dosent fix my xbox so im pissed off. I hate microsoft so much:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

Electronic goods have a 2 yr warranty according to european law.

My PS3 went tits up and was going to bring M$ to small claims court(blu ray drive has died loads...goods not fit for purpose)

got letter from sony saying the 2yr warranty wasnt enforced(they would say that!)never pursued it as i had previously fixed the probs myself..

If you try and get a replacement using the intermittant RROD fault doesnt work try the small claims court--it only costs 15 euro's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,287 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Where did you buy it? and how old is it exactly? I had the same problem and i got onto the national consumer agency who told me to talk to the shop i bought it in. I rang up GAME dawson street where i got it and the manager there told me that all consoles sold by them are covered under warranty by the store for 1 year and the manufacturer for a second year. I got back onto the xbox support number and told them this. The rep talked to his supervisor for 30 secs and then extended my warranty.
    Happy days my xbox is currently getting repaired for free :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

Lab_Mouse wrote: »
    Electronic goods have a 2 yr warranty according to european law.

My PS3 went tits up and was going to bring M$ to small claims court(blu ray drive has died loads...goods not fit for purpose)

got letter from sony saying the 2yr warranty wasnt enforced(they would say that!)never pursued it as i had previously fixed the probs myself..

If you try and get a replacement using the intermittant RROD fault doesnt work try the small claims court--it only costs 15 euro's

I like how you bring microsoft into it, being a sony product, call them "m$" and then give out about sony, but not calling them $ony or some other retarded name. yeah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 325 ✭✭doyler442

Manager wrote: »
    What the **** do I do??

Phoned xbox demanded to speak to tthe supervisior she said its out of its warranty so I have to pay £100 to get it fixed. Has anybody anyadvice or good links for help. As microsoft is ****e please help me!:confused:

I had this problem a few months back myself and all I had to do was take out the component cable from the back of the Xbox and put it back in - making sure it was in properly.

I'm sure you've tried this but just letting you know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭TheMooseInNam

Manager wrote: »
    What the **** do I do??

Check out MS's new policy on repair of the E74 error message. Here's a link to Major Nelson's post about it.

http://majornelson.com/archive/2009/04/14/xbox-360-warranty-extended-for-e74.aspx

This should make a lot of people very happy

Advertisement