Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mojito Stuff...HELP please!

Options
  • 08-04-2009 11:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭

Having friends over on the weekend and plan on making Mojito's, just curious as to where I could buy a Muddler?!

Thanks all

In Dublin by the way!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

Muddler??? Do you mean something like a pestle and mortar?
    You can get them in loads of places. Are you looking for a cheap ass one or sometning worth keeping (€20)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

Muddler??? Do you mean something like a pestle and mortar?
    You can get them in loads of places. Are you looking for a cheap ass one or sometning worth keeping (€20)
    Not too fussy really, I was planning on getting a pestle and morter until I looked up a few things just there and the muddles seems to be the man! I assume I could get a decent pestle and mortar in the momeware section of Dunnes if I cant find the muddler?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

I got a great pestle and mortar recently for €20 in the chinese shop place beside the Jervis luas stop. I've used it for mojitos as well as curries etc. I also have a little cheap ass piece of crap that is used for holding broken pens now.

I got a great pestle and mortar recently for €20 in the chinese shop place beside the Jervis luas stop. I've used it for mojitos as well as curries etc. I also have a little cheap ass piece of crap that is used for holding broken pens now.
    Haha, so you recommend a decent one so! Think I'll invest in a good one so! Had em at a friends house a few months back and they made em with a Porcelain pestel an mortar, they were unreal, but she was seriously good at makin em! Plenty of lime was her secret!

China shop by Jervis st will be my first stop after work tomorrow so!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭lmtduffy

I go for a wooden spoon,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭bionic.laura

So speaking of which does anyone have the perfect mojito recipe?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

A muddler is like a pestle but instead of a round bottom it is a jagged bottom a little like a meat hammer, used to grind up the mint leaves.
    A morter and pestle will do just fine or a wooden spoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭MediaTank

Just use a spoon - that's what they use in Cuba.

So speaking of which does anyone have the perfect mojito recipe?

1 jigger of Havana Club Anejo (3 years old)
    1 teaspoon of refined cane sugar
    1 sprig of yarabuena (Cuban mint)
    Juice of half (or one) lemon
    soda water
    ice

Crush the mint and sugar (muddle) in a highball glass with the leemon juice. Add a few cubes of ice and the rum. Top up with soda water and garnish with some more mint.

To make a mojito royale replace the soda water with champagne (or dry sparkling wine).

The secret to a mojito is the mint.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,995 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

MediaTank wrote: »
    1 jigger of Havana Club Anejo (3 years old)
    1 teaspoon of refined cane sugar
    1 sprig of yarabuena (Cuban mint)
    Juice of half (or one) lemon
    soda water
    ice

Crush the mint and sugar (muddle) in a highball glass with the leemon juice. Add a few cubes of ice and the rum. Top up with soda water and garnish with some more mint.

To make a mojito royale replace the soda water with champagne (or dry sparkling wine).

The secret to a mojito is the mint.

That is exactly as I remember Mojitos being made in Cuba before I'd ever even heard of them round these parts.

Personally, trust the Cubans on how to make a Mojito.

You will find people here insisting that it MUST be white rum and it MUST be lime and not lemon and should be whole cut up lime and not just the juice.

Either way is good, though!

Good sugar is important too. It should be, as said, cane sugar but not too brown. Something like demerara or muscavado is too dark.

• Advertisement

That is exactly as I remember Mojitos being made in Cuba before I'd ever even heard of them round these parts.

Personally, trust the Cubans on how to make a Mojito.

You will find people here insisting that it MUST be white rum and it MUST be lime and not lemon and should be whole cut up lime and not just the juice.

Either way is good, though!

Good sugar is important too. It should be, as said, cane sugar but not too brown. Something like demerara or muscavado is too dark.

I was in Havana in February and brushed up on my mojito skills :) Cubans definately use lemon not lime and their own cane sugar. It needs to be refined otherwise it will taste of molasses not mint and rum goodness.

If you can find the right mint all the better.

Some bartenders in Cuba also like to add a splash of 7 year old HC on top or even Angostura bitters to finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭bionic.laura

Thanks for the recipe. I remember it was definitely lemon when I was in Havana. I never really liked rum until I had Havana Club.
    I got food poisoning on numerous occasions in Havana so I started drinking mojitos instead, it was the best choice. The mojitos are much better than the food :p

Thanks for the recipe. I remember it was definitely lemon when I was in Havana. I never really liked rum until I had Havana Club.
    I got food poisoning on numerous occasions in Havana so I started drinking mojitos instead, it was the best choice. The mojitos are much better than the food :p

I dunno I'm partial to a Cuban pressed sandwich, or have you ever eater at La Guarida in Old Havana - outstanding food.

MT

Well I got all me bits today, got limes not lemons because I thought that's what I needed! Not to worry, I like lime more anyway. Got fresh Mint and Havana Club 3 years (only HC I could find)

But the sugar...never thought of buying special sugar, can I buy cane sugar in any supermarket?!

Dyin to make these tomor....I mean Saturday!:D

regular sugar is grand!

And dont forget your soda or sparkling water(I prefer sparkling find it fresher tasting)

lmtduffy wrote: »
    regular sugar is grand!

And dont forget your soda or sparkling water(I prefer sparkling find it fresher tasting)
    I got the soda water too...and straws!

Couldn't find a Muddler so I got a Mortar and Pestle in that Chinese shop on abby street, was only 6 quid for the size I wanted, didn't need the 20 quid one that was mentioned earlier!

Grahamo999 wrote: »
    I got the soda water too...and straws!

Couldn't find a Muddler so I got a Mortar and Pestle in that Chinese shop on abby street, was only 6 quid for the size I wanted, didn't need the 20 quid one that was mentioned earlier!

Sounds good. Cane sugar is easy to get in any supermarket, it will taste beeter than regualr (beet) sugar. Try not to pound the mint into a pulp, you just want to bruise it to release the oils.

On another note, I've mojito mint root stock if anyone wants some just PM me.

MT

MT
    Now thats a dedicated Mojito drinker!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭preilly79

I can never seem to get the sugar to dissolve completely so I now use Syrope De Gomme, or cane sugar syrup, in a bottle. I get it from that excellent off-license in Ranelagh (can't remember their name ... Kennedys perhaps?).

I also add a drop or two of Angostura Bitters (also available from the above off-license), but I doubt that's anyway traditional!

MT

Interesting! Do you make this or buy it? If made, how?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

preilly79 wrote: »
    that excellent off-license in Ranelagh
    Redmond's.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I can never seem to get the sugar to dissolve completely so I now use Syrope De Gomme, or cane sugar syrup, in a bottle.
    You can just dissolve the sugar in warm water and then chill it. Strange all the people saying to use lemons, the wikipedia page just says limes and so do the links I checked to recipes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

man i love mojitos!!!

but there is a science behind it i think.

(the amount of ingredients is personal choice but i like a strong lime flavour with a light mint/sugar taste but the gf prefers less lime and more sugar..... anyways....)

what i would do is

1 put in the mint leaves.
    2 put in some dark coarse sugar ( the dark gives it a nice caramel taste)
    3 put in the lime juice and the limes where you got the juice from

(the sugar will help mash up the mint(releasing its flavour) and the lime will mix well with it.)

4 as for the mudler i have an icecream scoop that is the business. i got it for 3 euro. (its metal.... you know the ones with the slidy thing in it to get the scoop of ice cream out of it)

5 now i fill the tumbler up with ice cubes not crushed ( i find the crushed melts and ruins the drink with water)

6 now measure the proper amount of rum into the glass. ( obviously after the first few rounds you will start making Woajitos (same as a mojito but with 3x the rum)

you really can ruin a lovely drink by trying to supe it up.

7 then give it a little drop of soda water t finish it off.

l
    rubadub wrote: »
    You can just dissolve the sugar in warm water and then chill it. Strange all the people saying to use lemons, the wikipedia page just says limes and so do the links I checked to recipes.

Limes work. But it's not what they use in Cuba. I've been there many tims and discussed at length with various bartenders - Cafe de Paris, Floridita, Nacional, Plaza, etc. it's lemon. Limes are used outside of Cuba and may help the ablance if you can't get yarabuena - that's my theory.

MT

Interesting! Do you make this or buy it? If made, how?

Eh, I'm referring to the plant itself. I grow it imported from Cuba. oot stock to grow is yours fr free just PM me.

Eh, I'm referring to the plant itself. I grow it imported from Cuba. oot stock to grow is yours fr free just PM me.
    Opps, when you said root stock I was equating it to chicken stock! I'll PM you sometime and arrange a meet-up. thanks!

l

Limes work. But it's not what they use in Cuba. I've been there many tims and discussed at length with various bartenders - Cafe de Paris, Floridita, Nacional, Plaza, etc. it's lemon. Limes are used outside of Cuba and may help the ablance if you can't get yarabuena - that's my theory.

MT

Not what some of them use in Cuba, as every bar I went to in Cuba used Limes,

Advertisement