Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much is your credit card limit?

Options
  • 08-04-2009 11:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭

Just wondering what kinda limits people have on their Credit Cards... I myself have just the one CC and currently have a limit of 5k which is more than I could possibly ever want or use, however it's somewhat re-assuring to know that it's there if something unexpected ever turns up and I need it...

Now I know some people that have multiple cards each with limits in excess of 10k (some up to 20k!!) and they're not on big wages by any stretch of the imagination...

Do people actually need these (imo) rediculously high limits and use them regularly? :o

I remember seeing on some show last year regarding some of Britains biggest spenders that one guy had some fancy-schmancy, ultra special credit card only given to a tiny fraction of the worlds population which has no limit... You could flat out buy a house with it, madness!

Gonna make a poll for this, all answers will be anonymously obviously!

What's the limit on your flexible friend? 6 votes

< 1000
    0% 0 votes
    1000 - 1999
    16% 1 vote
    2000 - 3999
    16% 1 vote
    4000 - 7999
    16% 1 vote
    8000 - 9999
    16% 1 vote
    10000 - 14999
    16% 1 vote
    15000+
    16% 1 vote

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Im an unemployed student, my card is limited at €600, however my Mother ahs a fairly high limit on her card, i dont know how much exatly but i know its high, She NEVER EVER carrys cash with her, she will only carry cash if she really needs to (Doctors visits etc), she pays absolutly everything with credit card. But she stays on top of her bills so the interest is completely manageable!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Gazza22

I keep my card at €1000. If i ever need a temporary adjustment, it's only a phone call away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭pandamoanium

I'm kinda the same as your mother - I hate carrying around large wads of cash with me so used to use the CC a lot, however since getting a Laser card I hardly ever use the CC now except for flights/online purchases etc...

I got my first CC as a student aswell - had a credit limit of E400 at the time - which back then was more than enough for my needs at the time and successfully satiated my Amazon needs back then! ;)

I think the most I've ever charged on my credit card was last year around 3k for flights for a holiday, was handy to have a bit left over on it as well.

I was a divil when I was younger for not paying my bills on time, I've since gotten sensible and switched the payments over to DD - no more forgetting to go to the PO and pay on time now, phew!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭pandamoanium

Gazza22 wrote: »
    I keep my card at €1000. If i ever need a temporary adjustment, it's only a phone call away.

Sensible attitude you have there! Good for you.

Hmmm, just wondering now though if someone did want to up their limit would they have a harder time getting it now what with the big "R" word and all..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

My limit is 9k but I have the card for years. I've always been tempted to spend it on a wonderful HE system, but have managed to avoid the temptation.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,919 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

What this board is for:

This board is for people who want to know more about Banking, Insurance and Pensions products/providers. Any topics posted here should relate to these topics.

I don't think this thread really falls into the above category. If you just want to start a general thread about how much various posters' credit limits are and have a discussion about it, it might be better suited to After Hours.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement