Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smilies a real turn off.

Options
  • 08-04-2009 11:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭

Is it possible to have Smilies turned off in a single forum but still allow images?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

The rolleyes getting you down?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭cHaTbOx

A real turn off .......... what do you do on boards? :confused::confused::confused::confused:;););):D:cool::cool::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

The whole lot of them are pissing me off. They have genuine uses but some folk just uses them to annoy others.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

6th wrote: »
    Is it possible to have Smilies turned off in a single forum but still allow images?
    Yep - pretty simple in vBulletin afaik, just a checkbox in admincp.

• Advertisement

They only thing what really annoys me are people who use them incorrectly .

"......this makes me so angry :) "

Also rolleyes , it's like an idiot detector. I can't be bothered making a statement that would prove my point as I am right anyway .

".......sure:rolleyes:"

But the rest are alright

The wink , well it makes me smile , I wish it would go "how you doing ?" every time I pressed it .;)

The angry face :mad: I'm constipated

The sad face :( the emo

The "I have been penetrated orally and now anally smiley :eek:"

The "If you are trying to be cool with this you are not but should know it smiley ":cool:

The " I dropped out of clown college smiley":P

The "the smelly confused guy smiley":confused:

the " Oh I'm great smiley :D"

The "please recognise this is funny smiley , I know I am trying to hard ":pac:

But I like smileys:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 83,220 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Hey now. Why would you want to deny me my smileys? Do you have any idea what I've gone through for this little blue shyte? :rolleyes:

.....Do You?!

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

So 6th doesn't like smileys, so no one else should be allowed to use them?

Taking your ball and going home, tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Is it possible to have Smilies turned off in a single forum but still allow images? :confused:
    The whole lot of them are pissing me off. :mad: They have genuine uses but some folk just uses them to annoy others. :(
    FYP :pac:

And if you did that, there'd still be nothing stopping people inserting smiley images with the IMG tags.

Well if you mean that thread from earlier with all the winks and giggles - I get your meaning.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

We need to change the cloud smiley (:)) It looks like an evil leer, so I often opt for the (:D) instead, which makes me seem too free with my affection and respect - for a first post, that is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

You leer more than smile anyway.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

5starpool wrote: »
    So 6th doesn't like smileys, so no one else should be allowed to use them?.

6th, you will need the consensus of the people in your forum before you decide that. No?
    At least the consensus of your co-mods.

i prefere the term "emoticon" ;)

Beruthiel wrote: »
    6th, you will need the consensus of the people in your forum before you decide that. No?
    At least the consensus of your co-mods.

Well first of all I didnt say which forum? Also I thought I'd see if it was possible, which is all I have asked here. Yes?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Snippy.

With you? Never ;)

Just making sure people dont take me up wrong. I like smilies and they have a place but they can be used by people who think that if you use them that they render insults etc invalid because they were "only kidding".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

paranoid much? ;)

oh yeah, I see what you mean.
    Well first of all I didnt say which forum?

unless it's a forum where you are the only mod and the only poster, it doesn't matter which forum, yes?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

tbh wrote: »
    unless it's a forum where you are the only mod and the only poster, it doesn't matter which forum, yes?
    That would be the Magic and Illusion forum then.

I dont mean the smilies are aimed at me ... I'm not that paranoid yet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

I dunno dude. The rolleyes...he tells me stuff. stuff about you.

It's a conspiracy du du dud du du du

Smilies **in german accent**: We varn you Mr.6th , if you go against us , we will control the others minds to go against you !!

6th: Shut up rolleyes , they will agree with me

Smilies ::rolleyes:

6th : EVIL!!!!!!!!

After thread

Smilies: We told you not to go against us Mr.6th !!

6th: Do you expect me to care it was just a feed back thread

Smilies: No Mr.6th I expect you to die !!

6th: WTF!!!?!

Smilies: Oh sorry , I always get a leettle carried away at that part .:o

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yes it can be done.

But it won't stop people posting them. I will fill a post with smilies on your forum just to annoy you.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Bring back boards roll eyes

Magnus wrote: »
    Bring back boards roll eyes
    if you are talking about the cyclops, dont even get me going.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

Is there not a way like on msn where you have the option to view only plain text and not smilies or emoticons ;). Surely that would be the best solution instead of all this hullabaloo about banning smilies even in one forum. Then 6th could be smilie free and we could all us them appropriately.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 36,350 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

stick-dan wrote: »
    Is there not a way like on msn where you have the option to view only plain text and not smilies or emoticons ;). Surely that would be the best solution instead of all this hullabaloo about banning smilies even in one forum. Then 6th could be smilie free and we could all us them appropriately.

:)

Hmm, not sure about that. Then you have a disconnect between those who have it switched on and those who don't. Meaning:

- Ah jaysus stick - dan, you're awful silly :)
    - Ah jaysus stick - dan, you're awful silly

users will get the hump where there is no need for a hump!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

If the smileys gets to you mate you could use an image blocker like AdBlock and block the smileys you don't like.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Hmm, not sure about that. Then you have a disconnect between those who have it switched on and those who don't. Meaning:

- Ah jaysus stick - dan, you're awful silly :)
    - Ah jaysus stick - dan, you're awful silly

users will get the hump where there is no need for a hump!

Ah i don't think so, that comment wouldn't upset anyone. now you did put in unwanted spaces in my username that i find upsetting :P:P

But seriously though if anyone wants to turn off smilies then i'm sure it is for the reason that the smilies are giving them a hump(as you call it). So i wouldn't see it as a bad move.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

If they're really that big a problem, why not put a rule in the charter that putting in a :) after calling someone a cuntbagging eejit won't stop them getting a ban?

Advertisement