Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What topics should I prepare for German?

Options
  • 09-04-2009 12:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭

Hey, I really need to improve my German grade from the mocks. I think the Oral went well enough but I really need to focus on the written- in particular the Ausserung (see? Can't even spell!) and the Scriftliche Produktion.

So far I've made up vocabulary sheets with words and phrases on the Environment, Poverty and Christmas (you know how they love to talk about Christmas for some reason...)

What else should I cover? I'm thinking Health/Obesity/Excercise and various things to do with Ireland (festivals, where to go, what to do).

I hate the way they ask really weird things in the letter like Driving Tests that you wouldn't even think of preparing for.

Also is there anything big happening in Germany this year I should be aware of? During the JC the World Cup was held there and I was kicking myself for not preparing anything.

How is everyone else studying for German?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Back Prince

Im deffo doing something on recession and the enviroment seem like big one's.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Do you think the recession will come up? Seems like a pretty complicated topic to write about =/. Will it just be the effects of the recession do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

Apparently papers are set as far back as November.. recession wasn't nearly in full gear then so you wouldn't know.. I've a notebook full of stuff which I can lend you (may need it back for nerdy purposes) if you like? :) Everything that's in there has been written, graded, rewritten and given the thumbs up and there's a load of stuff in it.. we did a lot of random crap. Have other sheets on various topics and they're all really useful. Just give me a shout!

As regards the recession - they don't give a crap what you say as long as it's in good german. Try to shove in a few tenses other than the present and they'll love you.. It's not too difficult to get good marks in the Schriftliche Producktion or the Ausserung with the right few phrases and decent grammar!

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭JohnG18

Just a suggestion from what my german teacher told me last year. Anything significant that happens will come up in some form. I would say something on Obama would be quite likely and the recession is a given even though the papers are set back in November.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Back Prince

yea but wasn't the first budget in October and not in December. But if i did come up hopefully only about losing jobs maybe family's having to save more.

• Advertisement

Aoibheann wrote: »
    Apparently papers are set as far back as November.. recession wasn't nearly in full gear then so you wouldn't know.. I've a notebook full of stuff which I can lend you (may need it back for nerdy purposes) if you like? :) Everything that's in there has been written, graded, rewritten and given the thumbs up and there's a load of stuff in it.. we did a lot of random crap. Have other sheets on various topics and they're all really useful. Just give me a shout!

As regards the recession - they don't give a crap what you say as long as it's in good german. Try to shove in a few tenses other than the present and they'll love you.. It's not too difficult to get good marks in the Schriftliche Producktion or the Ausserung with the right few phrases and decent grammar!

That'd be fantastic actually thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭-ME-

I'm covering:

Unemployment
    Recession
    The Environment
    Immigrants in Ireland
    Ireland and the EU (well, maybe not)
    Computer
    Mobile Phones (Pros/ Cons)
    TV (Pros/ Cons)
    Sport (Pros)
    Drugs/ Alcohol/ Smoking
    Violence (well, a few sentences)
    Leaving Cert Pressure

That sounds like way more than it actually is, I've only prepared a longish paragraph on each and only a few lines for some. I'm intending on improvising a bit too. For each topic I took a few fancy sentences from Sprachschatz and combined them with notes from skoool.ie and stuff my teacher had given me.

Anyone have any sentences on Festivals in Ireland/ Germany? That seems to come up a good bit in the letter.

I'll put up any notes I have on the above topics up if anyone wants. They're not amazing but they're grand for a paragraph in the letter or whatever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Des23

It is the 20th anniversary of the Wietervereinigung (sp?) (re-unification) this year I think, so it is a possibility.

It came up as a point on the letter in 1999, i.e. the 10 year anniversary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭-ME-

Des23 wrote: »
    It is the 20th anniversary of the Wietervereinigung (sp?) (re-unification) this year I think, so it is a possibility.

It came up as a point on the letter in 1999, i.e. the 10 year anniversary.

I would scream

Same, like what is there to say on that?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭lou91

Piste wrote: »
    Same, like what is there to say on that?

In my opinion, the government should do more to solve this problem. This is easier said than done. However, practice makes perfect.

Hmm, my masterplan of using general waffle for everything might not be as foolproof as I thought....

Of course, that's only the tip of the iceberg....

Sounds like a typical Irish/French Essay of mide :D

Advertisement