Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it always someone else's fault?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

ninty9er wrote: »
    Joe Public isn't a publicly quoted company whose profits can be statutorily skimmed as a dividend.

That's why Joe Public has to pay increased taxes. Developers are paying in assets, banks are paying in profits and the government is paying in rationalisation and the same taxes the public is paying.

If we had taken the harsh measures in October, this budget could have been made a whole lot more bearable, or may not even have been necessary.

**Vested interest disclosure.
    I am an active, canvassing, committee level, policy contributing member of Fianna Fáil.

We are loaning?
    ok when can I expect repayment? I am loaning for others mistakes, when can I expect the return on MY investment?
    I made no mistakes, I borrowed nothing, so I should get the money back at the end? no?

Joe Public isn't a publicly quoted company whose profits can be statutorily skimmed as a dividend.

That's why Joe Public has to pay increased taxes. Developers are paying in assets, banks are paying in profits and the government is paying in rationalisation and the same taxes the public is paying.

If we had taken the harsh measures in October, this budget could have been made a whole lot more bearable, or may not even have been necessary.

**Vested interest disclosure.
    I am an active, canvassing, committee level, policy contributing member of Fianna Fáil.

PS
    I am complaining about a government that caused the issue and now takes draconian measures to cover their mistakes.
    Do not give me " global situation", just because everyone esle was doing it doe snot mean that we should have been also.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Shot yourself down there - do you really think if the government had suggested then that they needed to keep taxes high, that we should not spend so much on public services that people would have listented?

No - our DNA isn't that far removed from sheep. You only have to look at the anti-FF reaction on boards posts to see that people are more interested in blaming than in what should be done to fix the problem.

Not quite. Once elected a Government can choose to only partially follow election promises. FF could have been more sensible while in office.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Welease

nesf wrote: »
    Not quite. Once elected a Government can choose to only partially follow election promises. FF could have been more sensible while in office.

Elected once and that arguement holds true.. Re-elected for the last 18 or so years, we could have been more sensible in chosing a government :)

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭bauderline

Just to be clear, the current tax hikes and levies etc. are to address the difference between what it costs to run our public service (way to much due to crap management by FF) and the amount they are taking in on tax revenue due to to collapse of the construction industry....

The ONLY thing you are bailing out at the moment is a crap and incompetent government....

What is badly needed in this state is a brand new policitical party with fresh and radical ideas to take this country forward and sweep away all the old vested intests...

P.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Welease wrote: »
    Elected once and that arguement holds true.. Re-elected for the last 18 or so years, we could have been more sensible in chosing a government :)

Oh indeed, but their second term in Government was a chance for them to radically change how spending etc were structured. An opportunity missed unfortunately. :(

bauderline wrote: »
    The ONLY thing you are bailing out at the moment is a crap and incompetent government.... .

.. and greedy banks, developers, unions, public and private sector staff.. We wanted it all.. we just didn't want to have to pay for it.
    What is badly needed in this state is a brand new policitical party with fresh and radical ideas to take this country forward and sweep away all the old vested intests...

P.
    Thats what we thought we were getting in the last recession with the PD's.. a pig in a dress is still a pig.. :)

.. and greedy banks, developers, unions, public and private sector staff.. We wanted it all.. we just didn't want to have to pay for it.

Thats what we thought we were getting in the last recession with the PD's.. a pig in a dress is still a pig.. :)

I disagree, the current tax hikes and levies are DIRECTLY being used to address government borrowing deficit... which is mainly due to an out control public spending nurtured by the current government.

Money that has been sunk into the financial institutions will eventually be recouped and should even bring a return for the tax payer......

The gravy train for unions is all but over... they just haven't realised it yet.

... and I don't get how you think we are bailing out the private sector...

I was under the impression the PD's were a FF break away ? Good intentions but never really worked did it... No we need an entirely fresh batch of political representatives who are articulate, intelligent and have the drive to move this country forward into sustainable period of prosperity...

Just to be clear, the current tax hikes and levies etc. are to address the difference between what it costs to run our public service (way to much due to crap management by FF) and the amount they are taking in on tax revenue due to to collapse of the construction industry....

The ONLY thing you are bailing out at the moment is a crap and incompetent government....

P.

What are we bailing out the banks with?
    The tax is collapsing due to construction failing, causing less spend causing more job uncertainty.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

If some of the people complaining about the levies and cuts took the time to ask is it someone else's fault that they have:

A €20k car loan and a €20k salary
    Sky+
    A night out every month
    A mortgage
    2 holidays a year
    Impulse buy furniture/techie stuff

I had 3 of those arguments with my mam this evening. She lost all 3.

I think you'll find that these are things people WANT and it's nobody's fault but their own if they can't now afford them.

You do not NEED to buy a house - especially an overpriced one. Never believe hype.

You do not NEED a holiday, and if you have to borrow for it, you should know that it's beyond your reach.

You do not NEED a new or nearly new car. There's plenty of decent 10+ year old car's out there that nobody wants because of the first 2 digits on the plate.

SKY+ is not one of life's NECESSETIES

The taxpayer does not owe social welfare recipients a Christmas bonus....bonuses are for productivity.
    My dad has worked for the same company for 20 years and would die of a heart attack if he got anything near €50, never mind €200 as a Christmas bonus. The box of biscuits will probably be cut this year, but then again, it was never a bonus to ooh and aah over.

I don't even feel sorry for those on €15k, and think it wasn't far enough to go to cut it off at that. I think regardless of income, you should pay SOMETHING. I mean, €4 from €200 isn't going to have the wolf at the door.

Yes it's the government's fault for lowering taxes too much in the good times, but that was the fault. Now they're fixing that issue.

Fixing the issue me ar**. :mad:
    An issue is fancy new terminology for problem, and it one fuc*ing big one.

Good job there ninty99er, Ogra FF will be proud of you.

To anyone who doesn't realise it, we here have a mouthpiece of junior ff.
    I remember not so long ago you had the logo at the bottom of you signature, but that is now gone so that you can pretend to be an objective poster.

There is truth in your argument, but you are conveniently twisting it so that blame for all this is down on joe public.
    To paraphrase your eargument, "All ff are to blame for is lowering taxes which is what everyone wanted".
    This is being very eocnomical with the truth.

ff is never to blame.
    You were braying much like your leader about what a great economy you had created, bertie was reposnsible for the celtic tiger and all that sh***.
    Now when the ar** falls out of it, it has nothing to do with us :rolleyes:

Please answer these.
    Who exactly was in government in this country during the boom years ?
    Where did all the huge tax revenues go?
    Why was so much money wasted by government departments on ff pet projects (bertie bowl, e-voting to name two of the famous ones) ?
    Why were public projects allowed to come in way over budget and behind schedule ?
    Why was no minister ever responsible for their portfolios results ?
    Why was our spending allowed increase drastically based on a revenue stream based on a non sustainable industry ?

Next time I expect you to blame the easter bunny who was in cahoots with santa :rolleyes:
    As another poster commented a fair few people in this country weren't clammering all over the property gravy train whose engine was continaully stoked by the ff party.

We didn't have huge loans, but we will have to pay like everyone else thanks to the fact that the major party in power over last 12 years failed to protect the economic integrity of the country because they saw short term gain both for themselves and their financial backers.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,424 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

If some of the people complaining about the levies and cuts took the time to ask is it someone else's fault that they have:

A €20k car loan and a €20k salary
    Sky+
    A night out every month
    A mortgage
    2 holidays a year
    Impulse buy furniture/techie stuff
    None of those apply to me.
    Car worth about 2k
    No Sky or sub tv
    Haven't had a 'night out' in ages
    No mortgage
    No holidays a year
    Never voted FF/PD
    Can I blame someone else?
    The taxpayer does not owe social welfare recipients a Christmas bonus....bonuses are for productivity.
    The bonus is given on compassionate grounds for the sake of the children more than the claimants. The dole is barely a livable income in this state and doesn't leave much room for savings. The extra payment is just enough to pay for a nice dinner and some small presents for the kids/grandkids etc.

My dad has worked for the same company for 20 years and would die of a heart attack if he got anything near €50, never mind €200 as a Christmas bonus. The box of biscuits will probably be cut this year, but then again, it was never a bonus to ooh and aah over.
    Why? Was he not very productive? (you yourself said it should be a bonus for productivity)
    I don't even feel sorry for those on €15k, and think it wasn't far enough to go to cut it off at that. I think regardless of income, you should pay SOMETHING. I mean, €4 from €200 isn't going to have the wolf at the door.
    Actually it kinda is. I have had times in my life when the can of beans (and not even branded beans) kept me going for a few days at the end of the week. The fact that '€4' is looked on by yourself as nothing is in itself an indication of how expensive ireland is to live in.

What are we bailing out the banks with?
    The tax is collapsing due to construction failing, causing less spend causing more job uncertainty.

NPRF..... as far as I knew....

I would also contend the government would have been aware of the fact that the current rate of construction was not sustainable and hence been a lot more careful with public spending, it is a lot harder to decrease public sector spending than it is to increase it. Surely the thought must have occured to someone that once construction tailed off that tax revenues would fall a fair amount and there would be problems maintaining the current level of spending...

Hence the tax hikes and levies you are now paying are as a direct result of poor government fiscal policies in relation to the public sector. The poorest policy of them all being social partnership.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

techdiver wrote: »
    [/list]
    The NAMA will chase down every loan on the book and try everything to re-coupe the repayments. This would not happen unless the NAMA was established or the government nationalise the banks and stipulate the terms of business.

If it were possible to recoup the value of these loans, the banks would do so. The fact that they don't is because the scale of losses is so great that they would be insolvent. The idea that the NAMA will do a better job of dealing with underperfoming loans is ridiculous. Let's face it, this scheme is going to cost us money, for if it wasn't going to cost us money, there would be no point in doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭techdiver

If it were possible to recoup the value of these loans, the banks would do so. The fact that they don't is because the scale of losses is so great that they would be insolvent. The idea that the NAMA will do a better job of dealing with underperfoming loans is ridiculous. Let's face it, this scheme is going to cost us money, for if it wasn't going to cost us money, there would be no point in doing it.

It will of course cost us in the short term, but this is not a short term scheme. I imagine that the scope of the NAMA would be a 15 - 20 year project. My point on chasing the developers down is in relation to assets. The banks will not chase down the developers and seize their collateral because the value is now less then the loan book and the markets will not react with favour to them writing down such huge losses in the short term.

The NAMA will purchase these loans at a reduced rate which will be less detrimental to the banks balance sheet than if they directly foreclosed on the developers. The NAMA will have nothing them holding them back form arranging a tough repayment scheme or seizing the assets associated with the loans and any security that was offered as collateral.

It's going to double the national debt in the the short term, but the thinking is that when the market returns to the levels of 2006, which by some estimates will be about 15 years or so the NAMA can start reaping the benefits of the sale or development of such assets.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

jmayo wrote: »
    There is truth in your argument, but you are conveniently twisting it so that blame for all this is down on joe public.
    To paraphrase your eargument, "All ff are to blame for is lowering taxes which is what everyone wanted".
    This is being very eocnomical with the truth.

Was it Douglas Adams who said that the difference between a tyrant and a democratically elected leader is that a tyrant can't blame the people for his mistakes?

Again I have to disagree here.... the agency will be buying these loans from the banks at a reduced rate of so many cents to the euro... it does remain to be seen what that works out at as the banks will no doubt be fighting to every cent they can get as they are taking the hit on this.

The fact of the matter is that behind every bad loan to developers there is either property or land. Much of it is worth a fraction of what was paid for it but if you take into account that the agency has bought at a discount and that given enough time, likely ten years at least those assets will recoup in value. One way or another the agency will gets its money back, what do you think the agency will do, forget about the bad loans and leave the debtor with the asset.... I don't think so.... will they give away the assets ? ... I don't think so....

The crux of the issue is that the banks need the money now so that they can start to function correctly again. If the banks don't function neither does the irish economy and whilst the irish economy isn't function we are going to be stuck here writing posts to each other.... now theres a depresing thought !! ;)

P.

The fact of the matter is that behind every bad loan to developers there is either property or land. Much of it is worth a fraction of what was paid for it but if you take into account that the agency has bought at a discount and that given enough time, likely ten years at least those assets will recoup in value. One way or another the agency will gets its money back, what do you think the agency will do, forget about the bad loans and leave the debtor with the asset.... I don't think so.... will they give away the assets ? ... I don't think so....

The crux of the issue is that the banks need the money now so that they can start to function correctly again. If the banks don't function neither does the irish economy and whilst the irish economy isn't function we are going to be stuck here writing posts to each other.... now theres a depresing thought !! ;)

P.

This is the one shining light.. If handled correct we can actually "make" money on this. The government is the only body capable of purchasing the assets and holding onto them long enough for the market to recover and regain value.
    The banks needs cash now to kickstart the economy.

My one hope is that the land assets don't get sold off to the usual old suspects at discount rates in a few years, when we could and should have held out until the maximum realistic value is obtained (and by realistic value there is no real point in hording prime land to drive up the price and force citizens into more rediculous mortgages in order to own a house, a balance needs to be found).

It will of course cost us in the short term, but this is not a short term scheme. I imagine that the scope of the NAMA would be a 15 - 20 year project. My point on chasing the developers down is in relation to assets. The banks will not chase down the developers and seize their collateral because the value is now less then the loan book and the markets will not react with favour to them writing down such huge losses in the short term.

The NAMA will purchase these loans at a reduced rate which will be less detrimental to the banks balance sheet than if they directly foreclosed on the developers. The NAMA will have nothing them holding them back form arranging a tough repayment scheme or seizing the assets associated with the loans and any security that was offered as collateral.

It's going to double the national debt in the the short term, but the thinking is that when the market returns to the levels of 2006, which by some estimates will be about 15 years or so the NAMA can start reaping the benefits of the sale or development of such assets.

It can be one of two ways. I take it you accept that there is a massive difference between face value and market value of these loans. So either:

a) the banks take the hit, or
    b) the taxpayer takes the hit.

15-20 years is not a realistic way of getting the money back, it's just pie in the sky politics, and when it transpires to be untrue, the current leaders will be dead or senile. Look at Japan's property prices. They just about reached the 1982 peak in 2007, only to drop again. So it is highly unlikely that Irish land values will reach 2006 levels in the next 15-20 years in real terms. The bad bank system worked in Sweeden, but then Sweeden devalued the currency causing inflation, so that the nominal value of the assets rose above the nominal value of the loans. We can't do that.

The government will be more lenient, not less, with the developers, and all the while we will be paying interest, admin costs and legal costs on these assets. Suppose we repossess a piece of land worth €100m now based on a loan in 2006 for €412m. Even if it were the case that in 15 years the land would rise to €412m in nominal terms, we would still make a loss of approx €300m on interest, maybe €15m on administration and possibly another €1m on legal costs. That's if the land rises to 2006 levels, which I doubt. But also, we lose the opportunity to put all that money to good use. So in real terms (i.e. including inflation) that money is worth much more to us now than it will be in 15 years when we get it back.

We cannot run an effective state with such a heavy burden on us, so either we will be under the yolk of this burden for 15-20 years, or else we will experience eurozone wide hyperinflation which will inflate away the debt (together with all accumulated wealth in the country).

I don't think it will play like that at all though, I think we will see the government selling the land back to the developers at a fraction of its current value and writing off the rest of the debt. We are basically taking on a load of extra debt with no return.

So in summary, unless Ireland really is different and in a few years we see another boom, but a boom which this time* will never end, the idea that this NAMA will somehow clean its own face financially is a lie.

*not guaranteed.

This is the one shining light.. If handled correct we can actually "make" money on this. The government is the only body capable of purchasing the assets and holding onto them long enough for the market to recover and regain value.

My one hope is that the land assets don't get sold off to the usual old suspects at discount rates in a few years, when we could and should have held out until the maximum realistic value is obtained (and by realistic value there is no real point in hording prime land to drive up the price and force citizens into more rediculous mortgages in order to own a house, a balance needs to be found).

My Man !!

That's very well said and a couple of nice points in there. The part about striking the right balance is a subtle one but VERY important. It must not act to inflate prices in an unnatural manner whilst at the same time getting the best possible ROI.

I think the actions of this agency need to be very transparent so that any monkey business is flagged quickly. You are right to raise this point.... if FF have anything to do with it... this is a REAL danger ....

P.

It can be one of two ways. I take it you accept that there is a massive difference between face value and market value of these loans. So either:

15-20 years is not a realistic way of getting the money back, it's just pie in the sky politics, and when it transpires to be untrue, the current leaders will be dead or senile. Look at Japan's property prices. They just about reached the 1982 peak in 2007, only to drop again. So it is highly unlikely that Irish land values will reach 2006 levels in the next 15-20 years in real terms. The bad bank system worked in Sweeden, but then Sweeden devalued the currency causing inflation, so that the nominal value of the assets rose above the nominal value of the loans. We can't do that.

The government will be more lenient, not less, with the developers, and all the while we will be paying interest, admin costs and legal costs on these assets. Suppose we repossess a piece of land worth €100m now based on a loan in 2006 for €412m. Even if it were the case that in 15 years the land would rise to €412m in nominal terms, we would still make a loss of approx €300m on interest, maybe €15m on administration and possibly another €1m on legal costs. That's if the land rises to 2006 levels, which I doubt. But also, we lose the opportunity to put all that money to good use. So in real terms (i.e. including inflation) that money is worth much more to us now than it will be in 15 years when we get it back.

We cannot run an effective state with such a heavy burden on us, so either we will be under the yolk of this burden for 15-20 years, or else we will experience eurozone wide hyperinflation which will inflate away the debt (together with all accumulated wealth in the country).

I don't think it will play like that at all though, I think we will see the government selling the land back to the developers at a fraction of its current value and writing off the rest of the debt. We are basically taking on a load of extra debt with no return.

So in summary, unless Ireland really is different and in a few years we see another boom, but a boom which this time* will never end, the idea that this NAMA will somehow clean its own face financially is a lie.

*not guaranteed.

I am gonna keep this one short....

Bull**** !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭techdiver

If a) above became the case there would be a run on the banks in the stock market and the banks would collapse and in doing that it would invoke the government guarantee scheme, business would be even further starved of credit, thus sparking an even faster acceleration in job losses, which would in turn mean game over and the IMF enters the game.

The only 2 options that I can see is going down the NAMA route or a full nationalisation of the banks.

Can you think of any other scheme that will not result in an implosion of the entire financial system in the country.

If a) above became the case there would be a run on the banks in the stock market and the banks would collapse and in doing that it would invoke the government guarantee scheme, business would be even further starved of credit, thus sparking an even faster acceleration in job losses, which would in turn mean game over and the IMF enters the game.

The only 2 options that I can see is going down the NAMA route or a full nationalisation of the banks.

Can you think of any other scheme that will not result in an implosion of the entire financial system in the country.

.... and I guess a pile of collapsed banks would be just great for Ireland Inc's credit rating and future foreign investment.... not to mention pension funds...

You see, this is my worry. the moment they can offload these parcels of land, they will do so. The country will not make money and the Galway tent crowd will walk away with nice, cheaper, land

• Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭aare

In answer to the original question:

Absolutely...it seems to be an inevitable, and annoying side effect of personal perfection to find oneself surrounded by bumbling incompetents...

Am I the only one who notices? The Iseq index is starting to rise...

Now this may mean the beginning of one kind of end (remember the bit where the stern snaps off Titanic and sits upright in the water while the rest sinks?) or, it may just be the beginning of a much nicer kind of end instead.:)

If the Iseq index rises enough, this could all "go away", almost as fast as it hit us...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭1966

JackieRyan wrote: »
    Agree with previous poster,we hear lots about reckless lending by the banks ,what about reckless borrowing by the people,who would never in a month of sundays pay it back

totally agree - my OH used to work for Mortgage Company and numerous times had parents chew his ear off cause he wouldnt accommodate their Jimmy or Mary with their application for €400k Mortgage over 40 years !!!!!!!!!!

Again I have to disagree here.... the agency will be buying these loans from the banks at a reduced rate of so many cents to the euro... it does remain to be seen what that works out at as the banks will no doubt be fighting to every cent they can get as they are taking the hit on this.

But it will not be so reduced that it will affect the banks profitability right? Otherwise, they will still not be able to lend to all these SMEs they go on about and the whole exercise will be pointless. So the markdown, while being the maximum the banks can take, will still be very small.

For example, AIB Group has a total loan book of c. €137bn, with Commercial and development loans totalling €47bn, total deposits and capital of c. €169bn, bad debt provisions of under €2bn, minor group profits (c. €200m) and assets other than loans of c. €40bn. So already they're not in great shape.

If they write the C&D loanbook down from €47bn to €45bn (4% write down), they have already wiped out their entire bad debt provision and profits. This means that other bad debts e.g. residential mortgage, personal loans, credit cards, overdrafts will be a direct loss to the company. With no profits, there is no reason to buy off them. However, they would remain afloat and would have a few billion to loan out. They could then loan out money, although it would only be to people who are highly likely to pay it back (i.e. no return to the heady days of easy credit, and anyone without job security etc can forget about a mortgage).

If they write the C&D loanbook down from €45 to €36 (20%), not only do they have no profits and no bad debts provision, but they are also down €7bn on their balance sheet. They are technically insolvent with assets of €168bn and liabilities of €169bn. However, because part of the liabilities are government recap money, they could be given examinership powers to keep trading. If they were, they would either not loan out very much money as they would still be in trouble or else they would need a further recapitalisation. They would most likely do what banks across the world are doing, and hoard cash and try to shore up their balance book while working out bad debts.

If they write the C&D loanbook down from €45 to €22.5 (50%) this might just provide value for taxpayers money in the long run, but the bank would be insolvent and would need a large bailout or would go under. If it were to remain trading, it wouldn't loan out any money, not even to low risk persons or companies.

You can't have your cake and eat it too.

Do you honestly think that land values, which in some cases have dropped by 80% will increase in value by 400% (the increase needed to return to 2006 levels) over the next ten years? For example, the Irish Glass Bottle site was purchased for €413m in 2006 but is now worth 40% of that, making the land worth c. €165m. Realistically I can see it being worth €125m. Now, how is that property going to increase by 250% (based on Davy estimate) nevermind 330% (based on my estimate)? Bear in mind that that is a top of the range investment site, very close to Dublin City Centre. So what about the acres bought at close to a million in the back of beyonds, which are now worth no more than their farmland values (but with less farmers willing to buy them)? Even if they do, who will pay the interest of c. 4.5bn per year on that 80bn while we wait for this recovery?

I don't think they will forget the assets or give them away, but I do think that they will either write off large portions of the loans (i.e. at cost to the tax payer) or else they will repossess and sell the assets back to the developer at a fraction of their worth (again, at a cost to the tax payer).

But there are better ways to go about it, such as breaking up the existing banks, selling off the assets and allowing new banks to take their place. You have to remember too that far too much of our economy was based on unsustainable credit driven businesses, so even if the banks do start lending again, it should only be on a prudential basis.

The big assumption here is that property prices will not just return to 2006 prices, but will also beat inflation and expenses as well. IMO, the government is the only body foolish enough to puchase these assets and hold on to them in the hope that the market "recovers" to ludicrously inflated prices.

I hope they don't do that too, but I know that they will. Tell me this though, if land prices were driven artificially high by hoarding up to 2006, and you think we will get 2006 prices back, how will we do this without hoarding the land?

I agree with you, and we are snookered by the guarantee. My point is not that there is some other way that we can magically fix the country, but rather to dispel the myth that this NAMA is anything other than the state taking on lots of debt that will ultimately cost us money.

An alternative might have been to have full disclosure of the banks loan books, have an orderly winding down of their assets (i.e. realism in the property market) and possibly a sale of the performing parts of the banks to private equity funds or even nationalisation. I don't know if this would end up costing us more or less than the current scheme, but it would have the advantages of being quicker (in that it would already have taken place and thus credit would have been available before now), more transparent (we would know exactly how much trouble we are in and could work towards fixing it on a realistic basis) you would have stronger banks afterwards, more credibility for the Irish government and banking system, and while I seriously doubt it, if there was any profit to the state be made from fixing the banking system, this would be the best way to realise it (as the shots would have been controlled by the state, not by the bank chairpersons). Unfortunately, FF can't grasp such ideas, and were left turning to such luminaries as Sean Fitzpatrick.

I am gonna keep this one short....

Bull**** !

What's Bull****? That I used figures (albeit not perfect but the best I have to hand) to back up what I am saying, the fact that I am looking at this from more than a 2 dimensional point of view, or is it bull**** becuase I disagree with you?
    .... and I guess a pile of collapsed banks would be just great for Ireland Inc's credit rating and future foreign investment.... not to mention pension funds...

Thankfully, the NAMA has restored the ratings agencies faith in the Irish banks, and they upgraded the rating as soon as the budget was released! Slow decline is where we are headed, trading short term pain for long term loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭aare

Thankfully, the NAMA has restored the ratings agencies faith in the Irish banks, and they upgraded the rating as soon as the budget was released! Slow decline is where we are headed, trading short term pain for long term loss.

Did they?

I thought one of them (Moodys, I think) dropped it right after and others remained unchanged?

Edited to add: As a matter of fact, Fitch's and Moody's have both downgraded since the budget, but, in spite of ongoing poor performance in the finance sector (who knew?), the Iseq closed 2.7% up which may have been one of the highest percentage gains in europe over the day...

• Advertisement

aare wrote: »
    Did they?

I thought one of them (Moodys, I think) dropped it right after and others remained unchanged?

Sorry, should have used a sarcasm smilie, but I don't like using them.

In other news, looks like a haircut of "up to 15 per cent" (quote from article not from Davys) according to Davys. Goodbody are much the same I believe.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/opinion/2009/0409/1224244282391.html

Advertisement