Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ever been burgled?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

Robbed at gunpoint at a bank machine about five years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Neewp. They dare not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭luckylucky

Almost voted no, then remembered that 12 years ago when renting a house with a few other guys, back at the stage where we were either stoned or pissed up most of the time and sloppy about security and we had left our back door open, some relatively minor things got nicked from downstairs a couple of times - mind you when your plane ticket gets nicked along with a few hundred quid it's still a major annoyance (wasn't my stuff at least :P). Probably a local kid playing at being a scally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭Mr.Lizard

My house was robbed when I was a nipper. Amongst everything else they stole they even stole £1 that I had left on the living room mantlepiece. Why bother? Do thieves really have to be that thorough when it comes to theft? Anyway that £1 was literally my life-savings at the time and so began a life-long mistrust of humanity....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

My cousin was robbed a few years ago, TV, dvd, playstation,camcorder was stolen etc..
    They rang the guards and heard no more for a couple of weeks.
    The Guards had raided a halting site in North Dublin of suspected thieves and found loads of goods.
    The gardai were looking at the footage on the camcorder and spotted the reg number of my brothers car and contacted him to see if he knew anyone who had been robbed. He gave them my cousins number and he got his stuff back :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I was broken into before Christmas in 2007. Kids for sure as apart from little footprints on the window sill, they also broke into a house across the street and stole PS2 games and sweets etc.

Thankfully they were idiots in my house. Left behind 2 PSPs, playstaion 3, laptops and pretty much anything of real value and only took some baby clothes we got as Christmas presents (leaving behind €60 of blanch vouchers at the bottom of the bag) and some jewellery.

Anyway I got an alarm installed that texts me if it goes off and I installed a 4 camera CCTV system in the house with DVR and network port so I can monitor the cameras on the interweb. If the alarm goes off, I get a text and log on to see if anyone is in the house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I can has breaking and entering?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

Saruman wrote: »

Anyway I got an alarm installed that texts me if it goes off and I installed a 4 camera CCTV system in the house with DVR and network port so I can monitor the cameras on the interweb. If the alarm goes off, I get a text and log on to see if anyone is in the house.

Where did you get that alarm system? How much does it cost?

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Borneo Fnctn

I sleep with a 7 inch blade knife within arms reach of my bed. It's mainly for gutting animals so it would be perfect for a junkie burglar. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

keefg wrote: »
    Where did you get that alarm system? How much does it cost?

Cheers.

I researched it here on borads and a HKC system seemed the way to go (same as they use for eircom phonewatch).

I used enfield alarms as I live out in the country, It was a little over €600 or so.
    I got a standard text dialler, I found out later there is a GSM version (like a mobile phone) so not only will it work if the phones are out, you can send a text code back to shut it off if it goes off by accident.

• Advertisement
Advertisement