Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

please help buying a puppy but avoiding puppy farmers !

Options
  • 09-04-2009 1:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi all I'm new to the forum I've only just found you ! , i hope you can help me- I'm an experienced dog owner I'm based in Northern Ireland and I'm looking for a Cocker Spaniel (show type ) any parti colour (i defanatly dont want a solid colour )

I have been shocked and frightened at how many pups are available here & how little the people selling them seam to know as soon as i ask if the breeder has eye certs or hip score info they say that the other half has it and get off the phone as soon as the can!

I am looking for a pup male or female, the pup is for a family pet not a show dog so if there is white on the dog its not a problem, i would be happy to sign a no breeding agreement and answer any questions the breeder may have for me, i have done as much research as i reasonable can into the breed and am aware of the potential heath risks.

this is why I'm looking for a proper breeder to limit the potential heartache. i was considering a cocker Spaniel until i started reading about cocker rage and to be honest that put me off, i am aware that any dog is capable of biting but i want to limit the risks as my son is almost 2.

i did look in to re-homing a pup but was told that i could not as my wee lad is to little, the pup and Alexander will never be left alone and i am home all day & night - the longest a pup would be on its own is when i do the weekly shopping.

i would also like to visit the puppy if that is OK with the breeder so that t can get used to me and Alexander as it grows and that when we bring it home it wont be so upsetting for the dog.

if anyone can please help let me know, thanks in advance
    Lisesmile.gif

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭looserock

Hi, you seem to have a pretty good idea of how to avoid the puppy farmers already.

I would like to add that's its a very good idea to visit the breeder and his dogs first, but don't make a decision there and then. The breeder has the worlds best selling aid, the pups, and you will be tempted to give a deposit there and then, don't.

Take a look at all the paperwork on the relevant health checks, the pedigree etc and go home sleep on it, make your decision the next day.

The best way to meet good breeders is at an I.K.C. show, just approach any of them and they will talk your ear off about their dogs and planned litters.

LINK TO SHOW DATEShttp://www.ikc.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=32&Itemid=47

Advertisement