Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Friday in Australia - bars / shops shut?

Options
  • 09-04-2009 2:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone knows what the story is with Good Friday in Australia, I can't seem to get a definitive answer from anyone? Are bars / off licences / shops generally closed?

Are there any differences between states?

We're going away for the weekend tonight, and will arrive quite late. I don't fancy waking up tomorrow to find out we can't buy any food or drink!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Sydney - yes most are shut - loads of places just close
    some bars are open but close at 10

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭the dee

You'll find somewhere that's open, even if it's a petrol station. My local Coles and Safeway will be closed but the Italian-run IGA is open all weekend. Go figure.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I'd guess it's just a case of they open if the owners can be bothered and then following Sunday trading hours. I'm pretty sure that Ireland is the only place that has any laws about shutting everything alcohol related down totaly on Good Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

robinph wrote: »
    I'd guess it's just a case of they open if the owners can be bothered and then following Sunday trading hours. I'm pretty sure that Ireland is the only place that has any laws about shutting everything alcohol related down totaly on Good Friday.

not 100% true, in ireland you can still get drink in hotel bars, but need to be a guest!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭trailerparkboy

oh my god i forgot tommorow was good friday, runs to the off lincense:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

hussey wrote: »
    not 100% true, in ireland you can still get drink in hotel bars, but need to be a guest!

Which makes it worse than the Sunday trading would be.

Think you can get beer on the train as well, and possibly in airports.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭kittex

I'm in rural WA and everything is shut today - the pub, the supermarket, the off licence and the video shop - and will be shut on Sunday too.

Advertisement