Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Getting into RTE

• 09-04-2009 8:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

I remember in the past reading/hearing about a day RTE hold each year for presenters/reporters/journalists etc who work for other companies (such as national or local radio stations) to try out and be interviewed for jobs in RTE.

Can anyone tell me anymore about this?

Will one be taking place this year? How does one apply to take part?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Not being smart, but I would suggest a quick phone call to RTE would sort it all out in under 5 minutes.

Best of luck, I fear RTE will be battening down the hatches for the foreseeable future,but no harm trying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

Its a panel system

They put an ad on the website and on air saying they're looking for applicants, you then go in and do a number of tasks, tv and radio reports that kind of thing, as well as an interview

If you're successful you're put on a panel and get called up as a vacancy arises.

They took on a few people last year i think, but given the current climate i wouldnt expect them to be hiring, possibly the opposite!

Given the relatively small pool of hacks in this country and the fact that they do it at RTE, everyone knows everyone else and word soon gets out as to who was spotted there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

They did provide some work experience on their Digital Radio Stations. http://www.rte.ie/digitalradio/index.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

Or you could spend time researching your family tree to see you have any link to the Andrews family. You never know it may get you in the door the way some of RTE's so called top stars got into montrose. Who knows you could end up with your own chat show on a saturday night..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 bilko

It would not put you at a disadvantage if you have a sibling or uncle who has run - or intends running - for Fianna Fail in local/general elections.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

bilko wrote: »
    It would not put you at a disadvantage if you have a sibling or uncle who has run - or intends running - for Fianna Fail in local/general elections.

Sure FF and FG will be the next colition just as it should be :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

RTE aren't taking anyone on at the moment.

They're in the ****s with money and from what I understand they want to cull their freelancer pool too.

Don't know if they're still offering work experience though.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭froodie

Hey OP,

I'd suggest keeping an eye on: http://www.rte.ie/about/jobs/listing.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭DT100

Didn't the guy that abused Pat Kenny on the Late Late Late Show try to drive in:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

bbability wrote: »
    Or you could spend time researching your family tree to see you have any link to the Andrews family.
    +1

Check out the scary bronze statue of him they have in the reception of the TV centre.

It still remains an extremely nepotistic organisation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

A history of student rebellion in UCD /Trinners is usually a plus.

Most of the hacks out there wore the duffler and spouted anarchic rhetoric back in the days.

Their "Commie" ,share the wealth outlook seemed to dissipate as soon as they got the gig out in Montrose.:cool:

Advertisement