Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using the Eircom netopia modem/router on NTL?

Options
  • 09-04-2009 8:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭

Before I go sourcing a wireless router is there any way i can configure the Netopia to work on the NTL line coming in?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

No. Right tool for the right job. A DSL modem is the wrong tool for cable broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

that occured to me after i posted.

thanks, €30 wireless router it is so!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

I used to think this as well but there have been a couple of posts on here recently which seemed to suggest that in the advanced options you can select the router function only. Not sure where but might be worth a good browse around.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭ongarite

dub45 wrote: »
    I used to think this as well but there have been a couple of posts on here recently which seemed to suggest that in the advanced options you can select the router function only. Not sure where but might be worth a good browse around.

You are correct dub45. If you poke around the "expert" mode on the Netopia 2247, you can find an option to enable just router mode or bridging.

Found a relevant thread on it. Might give it a go later tonight so.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/archive/index.php/t-2055066916.html

Here's the steps involved.
    First I pushed the reset button with a pen on the back of the Netopia router.
    Then using the crossover cable (flylead) I plugged the router directly into my laptop's ethernet port (I cant seem to get to the admin page via wireless).
    Next using my web browser (FIREFOX :-)) I typed in the default IP address of the router (got it off Netopia's website).
    The admin page came up (no password as I reset the router)
    Enter Advanced mode.
    Go to errr... cant remember now but basically change the router to a bridge connection somewhere in the Advanced mode settings.
    Save it and the router will reboot itself.
    While you are here remember to setup a WEP password and take a note of the WEB number!!!).
    Also switch on wireless access in the Advanced settings!!!
    Unplug your laptop and plug the Netopia router into NTL's router/modem/whatever.
    Give it a minute and it should work.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

But the router will no longer be routing, and anyone connecting through it's wireless will be assigned a public IP by UPC, and these are limited to 2 or 3 per customer, I believe. You loose all routing and firewall functions from the router, and you'll only be able to have 2 or 3 connections.

You're better off with a proper router for this. The modem is not the right tool for this job.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

The question is just, why would you want to put up with a piece of c**p in the first place to have tons of issues afterwards ?

The time spend on making the netopia work on a cable-modem connection is money out the window and waste of time. Even though you might sort of get it to work.

/M

How is it money out the window? I wanted to know if it was possible so that I wouldn't have to waste money if unecessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

quarryman wrote: »
    How is it money out the window? I wanted to know if it was possible so that I wouldn't have to waste money if unecessary.

If I were you (well .. I'm obviously not), the first thing I would do, when somebody ships me that thing, i'd take hammer to it and buy something that works.

That much time of mine it would be worth measured in money.

/M

I'm sensing you are not a fan of the Netopia?

Meh, it was lying around so thought I'd give it a try.

• Advertisement
Advertisement