Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

SLR buy today in Dublin

• 09-04-2009 9:19am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭

Complete newbie, going away for the weekend with family. Been promising myself for ages Id invest in a decent camera.

Im in city centre and have a budget of around the 700 mark (on the plastic, I dont have the cash if anyone was thinking of sending me round to their gaff).

What shop do I walk into and what do I buy?

From looking around, pixels have a 450d for 729e which I could stretch to. Is this as good as I should go for? Will the shop have this as well? Is the lens alright, its just family shots Im interested in right now. Would prefer a case as well.

http://www.pixels.ie/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=17&zenid=rkfub8nsgvnmocbc03omd6u2n1

so many questions.....and Im sure youve seen all these before but the search threw up 100s of threads.

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

keaphoto.com

or if desperate jessops.co.uk [can only order via phone]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭clint_silver

nice one guys, will spend a few mins going through those links. Is the 450d as good as any other for the money?

Heading out at lunch, just want to walk straight in, get it and walk out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Camera express on Georges street. You can haggle with those guys pretty successfully. They are doing the 450d with an 18-55 IS for 700 even. Ask for a 10% discount or say a free tripod/camera bag. They will haggle if you hold your nerve.
    http://www.cameraexchange.ie/slr_canon_eos.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

You can STRETCH your money alot more by buying on the Internet but if you are in a hurry and the money's burning a hole in your pocket then by all means go in and purchase one (and get me one while you are at it!) :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Will you be looking to get into Photography more or is your aim to get a Family Camera & not persue things much further than that?

If you are looking to getting more into Photography then the 450D is a good first choice, but it does seem from your post to be a bit of an impulse buy.

On the other hand if what you want is a good Family Camera then I would advise you to look at some Bridge Cameras. Fuji seem to have the best repuatation in their Finepix range. It would be an overall better package for you & save you some money too.

You can STRETCH your money alot more by buying on the Internet but if you are in a hurry and the money's burning a hole in your pocket then by all means go in and purchase one (and get me one while you are at it!) :D
    If you are looking to getting more into Photography then the 450D is a good first choice, but it does seem from your post to be a bit of an impulse buy.

theres a large element impulsiveness to it, I wont lie.

Ive just been promising myself for ages Id get a decent camera, all the little digital ones are ok (keep an eye on adverts for 3-4 of them coming up next week) but when I see some of the results friends have with SLRs I know Im missing out. 3-4 days away with the kids ideal opportunity to start using it. Im in city centre today so just want to get it out of the way.

If I dont get it today, I know myself I'll just let it go and may never go for it.

Thought Id come to the experts here and get some.....steering. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

On the Nikon :) side of things, you can probably pick up a D80 within that budget now.

You can certainly get a D60 with the 18-55 VR.

Has anyone used Kea lately? Any comments on experience?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

TBH .... a good Bridge Camera is probably the best for what you are seeking. You will get a lens which is about the quality as a Kit Lens. You may also get some functions, like video, which are not available in DSLR's in your price range. They can produce some stunning pictures, but a lot of that is up to you learning how to take photographs well.

Buying a DSLR will not get you good pictures. Learning about photography will though.

I know what youre saying caban, I appreciate the advice. I dont know what a bridge camera or a kit lens is though and dont have too much time to find out. :o

the reason are as above, Ive been promising myself for ages and if I dont do it today, I really, really know I wont do it and something else will be bought with the few quid Ive got for this. (sold a few items recently so have a discretionary fund)

Im getting this today at lunchtime so may just walk into pixels (2 minutes walk from me) and ask them what have they got and ask them why I shouldnt walk up to georges st for that 450d for 700e as suggested above.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭duffarama

Lumix G1 will be a fine little camera for a family trip.
    Very simple to use but with full manual controls if you wish to have them. The kit lenses are decent and lots of lenses coming in the new year.

Full time live view, multi angle screen.

Have a read here http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicdmcg1/page33.asp

I know what youre saying caban, I appreciate the advice. I dont know what a bridge camera or a kit lens is though and dont have too much time to find out. :o

A Bridge Camera looks much like a DSLR in shape & has most of the functions of an Entry Level DSLR, you cannot change the lens. The lens that is fitted is often better than a DSLR Kit Lens (see below). A Bridge Camera will cost a lot less than a DSLR & for most people looking for a good all round family camera it will suit their needs better. In the right hands they will produce stunning images.

A Kit Lens is the lens which comes standard with a DSLR. They are ussually a good compromise but not stunning at anything. It's a lens to get you started.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭tywy

Go into Gunn's on Wexford St, just opposite Whelans, and have a chat with them about what you want the camera for etc. They'll sell you a camera that will suit your needs. They're really nice in there and if you have any problems or questions after you buy it they'll be there to answer them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Don't forget a memory card too. Best of luck whatever camera you decide on

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

just seen this post on the homepage of boards at the same time i was reading the metro! so not a photography poster so forgive me if im wrong but just thought i would point it out :

theres an ad in the metro saying buy a canon EOS 450D or EOS 50D before 30th April and you get a free 2GB SD card, also a fre training day which takes place in dublin and cork.

hope it helps!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

the 450d is in argos for 549 euro. You have a good bit of money for a tripod and memory cards after that :)

Might not be the best camera place but one of the cheapest i've seen around lately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

CabanSail wrote: »
    A Bridge Camera looks much like a DSLR in shape & has most of the functions of an Entry Level DSLR, you cannot change the lens. The lens that is fitted is often better than a DSLR Kit Lens (see below). A Bridge Camera will cost a lot less than a DSLR & for most people looking for a good all round family camera it will suit their needs better. In the right hands they will produce stunning images.

A Kit Lens is the lens which comes standard with a DSLR. They are ussually a good compromise but not stunning at anything. It's a lens to get you started.

Would agree with that. I had a Fuji S5000 for four years before the Eos 450D and the pictures (considering they were all taken in auto) were superb. I still think the Fuji has the edge in terms of colour, definition, and indoor flash shots. Sadly, I couldn't afford a Fuji DSLR.

Here's a comparison:

First shot with the Fuji, 2nd one with the 450D:

2318489420_39d23336f2.jpg

3194318615_7706720787.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Bit unfair to compare them Freddie, Red is a notorious colour.

To OP, the 450D in Argos sounds great but also Gunn's and their after service is what I would lean towards, if you tell Kathy Gunn the price of it in Argos she may attempt to match it.
    I had the 450D b4 I upgraded and was very much impressed with it.

duffarama wrote: »
    Lumix G1 will be a fine little camera for a family trip.
    Very simple to use but with full manual controls if you wish to have them. The kit lenses are decent and lots of lenses coming in the new year.

Full time live view, multi angle screen.

Have a read here http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicdmcg1/page33.asp

well, I got the lumix afterwards after reading the above reviews and doing some googling on it. Picked up the lumix with a 4gb card for 600e in pixels which give or take 20-30e is what it seem to be online.

I would have gone for the argos 450d at that price if Id seen it but Id set myself a limit of lunchtime today so no regrets. Guy in pixels said the same as above about the lumix, great family camera, limited with lenses but more user friendly as it auto focuses. done and dusted, happy out, thanks for all suggestions. Slice of carrot cake to duffarama.

I love carrot cake!!!

Unless it has raisins in it :(

If not :D

That's a great little camera, I'd love to get one for myself but am refusing to spend any more money on photography equipment for a while.
    Some superb lenses coming for that camera in the next few months as well so when you want to upgrade you'll have some nice options.

The 7-14 F4 wide angle and the 20mm F1.7 being the highlights.

Enjoy the new camera and enjoy the holiday

• Advertisement

I love carrot cake!!!

Unless it has raisins in it :(

If not :D

That's a great little camera, I'd love to get one for myself but am refusing to spend any more money on photography equipment for a while.
    Some superb lenses coming for that camera in the next few months as well so when you want to upgrade you'll have some nice options.

The 7-14 F4 wide angle and the 20mm F1.7 being the highlights.

Enjoy the new camera and enjoy the holiday

:) Im even happier now, that review link ( u posted )and pixys said there was only 1-2 lenses for it now but that was only cos it was new and to stick around and there'll be more.

Where can I keep on top of whats coming out for it? panasonic? or are there generic make lenses for it coming?

I'll eat the cake tonight in case I dont see you, wouldnt want it going off... hey, I might take a picture of it.... :D

You will probably be limited to lenses from Panasonic.

Brands like Sigma, Tonika, etc make lenses to suit Nikon & Canon as that is the majority of the market.

Now you have the camera ..... the fun bit begins. Learning how to use it & how to control it to get the image you want. Give yourself about 60 years & you may get part way there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

BTW what lens did you get with the kit ?
    Also, remember a better camera won't produce better photos !! it's the person behind the camera, and most importantly this camera is no Point-n-shoot camera, it WILL take a little getting used to !!

I can recommend the 14-42mm lens (Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm F3.5-5.6) but it looks like you will need an adapter, but at least the lens isn't that expensive.

From dpreview:
    • Micro Four Thirds mount lenses
    • Four Thirds mount lenses via adapter (DMW-MA1PP)
    Autofocus only available with:
    - Olympus Zuiko 25 F2.8 'Pancake'
    - Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm F3.5-5.6
    - Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6
    - Panasonic Leica D Summilux 25mm F1.4 ASPH
    - Panasonic Leica D Vario-Elmar 14-50mm F3.8-5.6 ASPH. Mega OIS
    - Panasonic Leica D Vario-Elmar 14-150mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH. Mega OIS

Sigma and Tokina (or Tonika, ahem CabanSail !) also make lenses for Olympus, not sure about micro 4/3 !

Ok, lenses for the Lumix G1.

Currently available are the 14-45 and the 45-200 and in the coming year is the 14-140 (for the GH-1 with movie recording capability) and the 7-14.

Still to come is the 20mm and from the end of June will be the Olympus micro lenses as well.

Also you can use adaptors for existing 4/3's lenses as per morrisseee's post and other adaptors for Canon FD lenses, Leica M and R mount, Olympus Pen lenses and many many more.

With the EVF being the same size as that of the 5D manual focus is apparently quite easy too.

More info here http://panasonic.net/avc/lumix/systemcamera/gms/lens/index.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Simplicius

tywy wrote: »
    Go into Gunn's on Wexford St, just opposite Whelans, and have a chat with them about what you want the camera for etc. They'll sell you a camera that will suit your needs. They're really nice in there and if you have any problems or questions after you buy it they'll be there to answer them!

I couldn't have put it better myself.... this is in my opinion the most honest deal in town, they won't sell you a Ferrari when all you need is a Audi A4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Bit unfair to compare them Freddie, Red is a notorious colour.

You're right there AR. Post in haste and all that....:)

But those Fujis are some cameras.

Ok, lenses for the Lumix G1.

Currently available are the 14-45 and the 45-200 and in the coming year is the 14-140 (for the GH-1 with movie recording capability) and the 7-14.

Still to come is the 20mm and from the end of June will be the Olympus micro lenses as well.

Also you can use adaptors for existing 4/3's lenses as per morrisseee's post and other adaptors for Canon FD lenses, Leica M and R mount, Olympus Pen lenses and many many more.

With the EVF being the same size as that of the 5D manual focus is apparently quite easy too.

More info here http://panasonic.net/avc/lumix/systemcamera/gms/lens/index.html

ok, after a weekend away with it and the family, Im totally hooked. 1000 shots taken. Mostly competition grade shots if I do say so myself..

not. :p

ah seriously, loving it, been reading and reading and playing and testing and shooting and posing and getting the kids to do things. cant get enough of it, revolutionised photo taking in our house. I got the 14-45mm lens with it which as Im sure you all know is short distance but I very quickly realised its limitations for anything past 20-30 feet. My mum was with us for the weekend, she's a bit an amatuer photographer, has the 450d, she preferred the lumix for in house shots but the 450d for nature shots but that mya have been jsut that we didnt ahve the longer lens for the lumix, time will tell. The quick face focus is a feature she loved and I got a few tips from her for setting up shots and lighting.

So whats next, with the summer coming and the family heading to parks most weekends, is the 45-200mm my next step or would I be better getting the interface and one of the compatible other-make lenses.

Oh, one other thing, I got a 4gb card, I can write to it but not delete from it. I tried from the camera itself and also the card in a card reader in my laptop. the write protect lock is set to off but that shouldnt matter as I can write to it. strange, anyone any ideas? Ive 2-300 mb left on it before it becomes an issue.

If you've taken all the photos off the card you could try format it in camera. This will wipe everything off the card.

As for lenses for the G1, the 45-200 is the telephoto lens for the camera. You can also get the four thirds adapter and the Olympus 40-150 (should be able to pick one up second hand for about €100) and have full compatibility with the contrast detect autofocus system of your camera.

Delighted you're having such fun and enjoying photo taking. I'd love to buy a G1

Advertisement