Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wiring pillar lights

Options
  • 09-04-2009 9:48am
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Guys,
    I have 2 pillar lights to wire up. The masons ran a cable from each pillar to a point beside where the heavy duty cable is coming out of the house, this cable is controlled by a switch inside the door.

Soo, I presume I need a small outdoor/weather proof junction box which will allow me to join the 3 cables.

Now, how are these 3 joined together?

Where does this box go, can it be buried under the lawn or does it have to be attached to the pillar???

Also the pillar lights, all the masons left out is what looks like live as the casing is stripped back, should there not be an earth?

I wired up the deck lights to an identical cable in a sealed box and that was sound out, but I am just a bit vague on the EXACT way to wire this up.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,338 ✭✭✭secman

Not a sparks, but I do know that a favoured joint to be under ground would be a " scotch cast joint" its a resin type that totally covers the cable joints and when it goes off its rock solid and totally water proof.

Secman

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Ah I think I have seen one of those secman alright.

I also have a cable run out to the gates for the electric gates (budget put paid to those :) )

I might have to leave a "man hole" for that also.

Thanks for your help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭cossworxenergy

yop wrote: »
    Guys,
    I have 2 pillar lights to wire up. The masons ran a cable from each pillar to a point beside where the heavy duty cable is coming out of the house, this cable is controlled by a switch inside the door.

Soo, I presume I need a small outdoor/weather proof junction box which will allow me to join the 3 cables.

Now, how are these 3 joined together?

Where does this box go, can it be buried under the lawn or does it have to be attached to the pillar???

Also the pillar lights, all the masons left out is what looks like live as the casing is stripped back, should there not be an earth?

I wired up the deck lights to an identical cable in a sealed box and that was sound out, but I am just a bit vague on the EXACT way to wire this up.

Thanks

Use a submarine joint cost bout 30euro. bury under the garden. just join live earth and neutrals together and also join steel strands from the armoured cable to the earth connector. Make sure connections are tight and sound

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Use a submarine joint cost bout 30euro. bury under the garden. just join live earth and neutrals together and also join steel strands from the armoured cable to the earth connector. Make sure connections are tight and sound

Mighty, thanks for that.

Advertisement