Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Butlins

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 barbie princess

I was actually refering to the butlins in whales and ye they were thick bands that you put around your wrist with your key on it... did anyone ever work as lifeguard in any them places?

what a cool job to have as a teenager though. I worked in Graham O'Sullivans. Not quite the same.

Best job I can imagine a teen having. Although I worked in the Lake/Amusement Park so obviously I had a WAY better job than Kosy Kitchen staff or litter bugs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I was actually refering to the butlins in whales and ye they were thick bands that you put around your wrist with your key on it... did anyone ever work as lifeguard in any them places?
    Abodybody wanna take this one?

Pinocchio and Jonah jokes optional.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Best job I can imagine a teen having. Although I worked in the Lake/Amusement Park so obviously I had a WAY better job than Kosy Kitchen staff or litter bugs.

Worst job of all, a wellie boy!
    Gawd I felt sorry for them!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

Ah yeah...back in the day. Remember the radio ad- 'Mosney! Holiday centre...Mosney by the sea!'. We too called it Butlins though I don't think I was ever in it before it changed to Mosney. We loved it...remember the Space Round Up...the big yellow thing you stood up in, the gravity force used to pin you back...the Tempest that everyone puked on....and the big red bumpy slide...then the bit under the roof with the Tilt-a-Whirl (usually those are called Waltzers) and all the rides for the young ones.
    The amusement arcade and the skating part and the lake with the boats:).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭Mr.Lizard

BaZmO* wrote: »

Ok, I will. There should be a capital letter there when you're referring to a country by name. Show a bit of respect to the people of 'Whales' barbie!!! :rolleyes::mad::D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

I think those changes were done much much later than 1976. I went to Mosney quite a few times when I was a kid in the 80's so I remember that the water used to come right up to the edge were the guy is sitting (on the left in the first picture) and above the windows. I remember it well because I jump into the 10 foot, as it was at the time, and nearly drowned. Those windows looked out onto the little street beside the place that had the slot machines & amusements.

My mistake. I meant to say '86, not '76.

Ann22 wrote: »
    We loved it...remember the Space Round Up...the big yellow thing you stood up in, the gravity force used to pin you back...the Tempest that everyone puked on....and the big red bumpy slide...then the bit under the roof with the Tilt-a-Whirl (usually those are called Waltzers) and all the rides for the young ones.
    The amusement arcade and the skating part and the lake with the boats:).

Space Round Up: End of every week we took a ladder up onto the galvo roof of the amusement park to collect all the stuff that flew out of peoples pockets while they were on it. Weirdest thing we ever found up there was a pair of womens underwear.

The Tempest: I operated this in my first year. Had a big metal pole with a bit of black insulating tape on it that you had to be taller than (the tape part obv) and one day the guy who was helping me (chap called Noddy) on the Tempest accidentally put it next to a midget while he was talking to me and said, without looking at the midget, "Sorry kid, maybe when you are a tiny bit taller". What happened after was more or less what you can imagine.

The Lake: Best job in Mosney. If it rained we just sat in the shed taking turns to go and get tea and scones. When the sun shone (it seemed to shine more those summers) you got a great tan, met every girl who set foot in Mosney and got super fit from walking around in water all day. I loved it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

I don't think you will find many people here who would have been to Butlin's in Wales.
    This is generally Irish based. Very few people would have had the money to take the ferry back in the 80's.
    We do have a few British people here, so some may be able to answer your question.

Pinocchio and Jonah jokes optional.

Leaving out your own spelling mistakes, I'm just going to tell you to take it easy on the newbies.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Anyone ever take the train to Mosney??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Forest Demon

Ah Mosney. The time before the women of Ireland discovered razors. It was like lionel Richie and the commodores were performing as you walked past by the swimming pool windows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Please don't resurrect zombie threads.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement