Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

John Terry - Hypocrite?

• 09-04-2009 10:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭

Apologies if this has been mentioned elsewhere, but if anyone has been watching Sky Sports News this morning they'll see Terry has been complaining about the Liverpool players surrounding the referee to get him his yellow card that puts him out of the second leg, first off one has to wonder how the man who pulls cards out of a referees hand and generally bullies referees on a regular basis has the right to be saying such things.

But secondly, given that the foul in question looked like a pretty clear yellow card, does the man really have the right to expect the opposition players not to appeal for justice?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,169 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

John Terry - Hypocrite?

Yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

DSB wrote: »
    Apologies if this has been mentioned elsewhere, but if anyone has been watching Sky Sports News this morning they'll see Terry has been complaining about the Liverpool players surrounding the referee to get him his yellow card that puts him out of the second leg, first off one has to wonder how the man who pulls cards out of a referees hand and generally bullies referees on a regular basis has the right to be saying such things.

But secondly, given that the foul in question looked like a pretty clear yellow card, does the man really have the right to expect the opposition players not to appeal for justice?

Surely there's a far shorter and more accurate word to desribe him ? Mine would begin with " c "

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Doubs

I don't know what he's complaining about personally, gives him a clean slate for the semi's (not intended as a dig). That Barca defender got purposely booked for for the same reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,457 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

John Terry is Chelsea's captain, for a start, so he has the right to confront the ref on issues - only the captian is supposed to do this (though I'm not sure if that counts in Europe) so he may have a point about players surrounding the ref.

As for the foul - it probably was a yellow, but i'd be annoyed about it too. He tried to go for the header, then tried to protect himself when he realised he wasn't going to get it. Reina also tried to protect himself, but with the advantage of being a keeper, he was in a far better position to do so. For me, both players went for the ball, both tried to protect themselves and Terry came off a lot worse form it.

However, that is football today, most of the time you aren't allowed anywhere near the keeper, they get far too much protection - even if collisions are the keepers fault they generally get the foul, so in a situation that could be even remotely argued as to being the attacking players fault, a yellow card is likely.

Also, Terry isn't the smartest - he recently said a goal should not have been ruled out for offside cause one of his legs was level...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Surely there's a far shorter and more accurate word to desribe him ? Mine would begin with " c "

:confused: Captain?
    As for the foul - it probably was a yellow, but i'd be annoyed about it too. He tried to go for the header, then tried to protect himself when he realised he wasn't going to get it. Reina also tried to protect himself, but with the advantage of being a keeper, he was in a far better position to do so. For me, both players went for the ball, both tried to protect themselves and Terry came off a lot worse form it.

Agree with everything there except it shouldn't have resulted in a booking.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

While I agree that its a bit hypocrital all right I thought the yellow was harsh, goalkeepers can be too well protected at times. But what about Rafael Marquez, clever clever boy ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

I thought it was a harsh booking but as someone pointed out it leaves him free to miss a penalty against Barca.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,457 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Xavi6 wrote: »

Agree with everything there except it shouldn't have resulted in a booking.
    In reality, a booking is harsh, but he put in a challenge on the keeper and made solid contact without getting the ball. It wasn't dirty or anything (imo) but refs in general don't like people putting in (even fair) challenges on the keeper so to get a yellow in europe for it is hardly surprising. I don't like it, but it is how it is, unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

DSB wrote: »
    Does the man really have the right to expect the opposition players not to appeal for justice?

Yes. Of course.

Soccer is in a sorry state with the lack of respect for referees given by players and managers in general. A referee should never be hounded by players demanding a certain form of punishment they feel fits the crime - its histo decide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

I thought Terry had every right to go for that ball, Reina did his best to go through Terry, landed on his feet, then when he saw Terry was injured he decided to have a lie down aswell.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

If anyone, it should have been Rena who was carded. Reina went with his knees up while terry went purely with his head. Unfortunately, nowadays any contact at all with the goalie and it's a free out. They are protected too much imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

Reina had the ball in hands before Terry came near him. Terry took a risk throwing himself at that ball, he had very little chance of getting to it first. Not sure it deserved a yellow though, wasn't exactly that dangerous.
    The fact that he thought he wasn't going to get one was very funny though, he shook hands with Reina and went to run off thinking all was good, the look on his face was priceless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Xavi6 wrote: »

Clue : The next letter is "u"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Of course he's a hypocrite. Remember at the start of the season all Premier League captains signed some sort of agreement for respecting officials?.

Doesn't look like he's been giving much respect to them during the course of the season.

That_Guy wrote: »
    Remember at the start of the season all Premier League captains signed some sort of agreement for respecting officials?

Could you please link to the story about this, thanks. It seems to have slipped my memory.

Des wrote: »
    Clue : The next letter is "u"
    Cute? Whatever floats your boat...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,310 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Yes.

Not only does he lead the Chelsea team to gather around the ref, but he was also not the one complaining about Hunt when he hit Cech in a 50/50 and last night he knew he had no chance of getting that ball before Renia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

Hypocritical that he'd give out about the Liverpool players asking the ref to card him (telling tales on him) yet he proceeded to name the Liverpool players who did this (last night and in the past) in his interview (telling tales on them)...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

K4t wrote: »
    If anyone, it should have been Rena who was carded. Reina went with his knees up while terry went purely with his head. Unfortunately, nowadays any contact at all with the goalie and it's a free out. They are protected too much imo.

keepers have to go in with their knees to try protect themselves, in terms of when the ball is high their ribs are exposed and want to avoid injury. As for the situation last night, not a yellow on against either and i don't particularly feel it was a free out either. just play on reina had the ball

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

What's Terry mouthing off for? The tie is over, the 2nd leg is a perfect one to miss. He doesn't have to worry about missing the semi final now!!

• Advertisement

monkey9 wrote: »
    What's Terry mouthing off for? The tie is over, the 2nd leg is a perfect one to miss. He doesn't have to worry about missing the semi final now!!

cos he's a proper footballer who loves to play the game. we could expect the same thing from carra if it happened him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,310 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Iang87 wrote: »
    cos he's a proper footballer who loves to play the game. we could expect the same thing from carra if it happened him

Dont think i would hold Terry in that regard i think he is a thug.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Des wrote: »
    Could you please link to the story about this, thanks. It seems to have slipped my memory.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_3936274,00.html

Dont think i would hold Terry in that regard i think he is a thug.

he's not man he'd put his head into a fire if he thought it could be won. also he nearly got decapitated going for a ball against arsenal when most other players would pull out

That_Guy wrote: »

Doesn't say anything in that that anyone signed anything

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Terry and Lamps alwayd getting cards rescinded domestically. We even had a thread about it around the new year and how suspect the whole thing was. This time he wont get it rescinded as its Uefa call and they wont give a toss about him being England captain. I am glad he is out as Chelsea are usually worse without him. Is Carvalho back for the 2nd leg ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Mgoraf

redout wrote: »
    Terry and Lamps alwayd getting cards rescinded domestically. We even had a thread about it around the new year and how suspect the whole thing was. This time he wont get it rescinded as its Uefa call and they wont give a toss about him being England captain. I am glad he is out as Chelsea are usually worse without him. Is Carvalho back for the 2nd leg ?

He was on the bench last night so should be fit I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Only Terry could muster up a 2 page debate on what is a nothing situation. Lets me ask you this, why do you hate him? I mean really?

Is it because he gets in the refs face? Are we forgetting, Caragher, Gerard, Rooney, Neville, Keane etc...

All he has said was he was disappointed at the Liverpool players attempting to get him booked. Now when I was watching the match I saw Terry on the ground and 4 liverpool players around the ref giving it socks. Reina apparently said on the pitch it wasn't a card.

So i ask, whats the problem. Do you think all those pool players were discussing the works of Oscar Wilde with ref or is there the slimmest possibility that they were talking about the man on the ground?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Crads are working in Chelsea's favour at the moment.

Terry to miss a nothing game.

Messi one booking away from suspension.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

Yes is the answer. This comes from a player that spits at opponents :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Fairplay to the ref coming out defending his decision Terry gets away with an awful lot and at least someone is not afraid to call him on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭thegen

Have you been looking at a different incident. Eeina had the ball in hand and Terry used his shoulder. He did not attempt to play the ball. He went for the man. Stone Wall Yellow.

BTW i'm not a Pool supporter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭eddiehead

iregk wrote: »
    Is it because he gets in the refs face? Are we forgetting, Caragher, Gerard, Rooney, Neville, Keane etc...

Yes, we absolutely are.

Terry is as much a hypocrite as every player or manager who can only see fouls on members of their team, everybody come's out with something like that from time to time. This thread serves no purpose other than letting some people air their grievances (yet again) with the Chelsea captain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Virtually every footballer is some kind of hypocrite, J.T. is no different. Ferguson's talk about the refs is ridiculous, Rafa complaining about mind games when he tried to psyche out Drogba last year, Gerrard claiming to be Liverpool until he dies when a few years ago he had all but left. Wenger's not to bad but he throws almighty tantrums. Everyone does it, I'd expect no less.

J.T. is an honest good man for 22 and a half hours of the day, never seen anything recently to make me doubt that, but for those 90 minutes he does whatever it takes to win as he should. I'd expect no less

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Agree with Bubs. Terry is a winner and does whatever it takes to get here.

I'd love him in any team I support.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Only Terry could muster up a 2 page debate on what is a nothing situation. Lets me ask you this, why do you hate him? I mean really?

All he has said was he was disappointed at the Liverpool players attempting to get him booked. Now when I was watching the match I saw Terry on the ground and 4 liverpool players around the ref giving it socks. Reina apparently said on the pitch it wasn't a card.

So i ask, whats the problem. Do you think all those pool players were discussing the works of Oscar Wilde with ref or is there the slimmest possibility that they were talking about the man on the ground?

ugh did you even read the OP? the point is he is one of the worst players for screaming at refs, and this morning he is giving out to the press about liverpool players doing it when i have often seen him run 50 yards to scream at the ref over a card or a decision...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

ugh did you even read the OP? the point is he is one of the worst players for screaming at refs, and this morning he is giving out to the press about liverpool players doing it when i have often seen him run 50 yards to scream at the ref over a card or a decision...

Yes, and Stevie G says he doesn't dive. All players and managers are hypocrites. The fans us, we are worse than any of them. Liverpool fans giving out socks about Ronaldo and Drogba diving but its fine when Captain Stevie does it. We are all hypocrites.

Xavi, Bubs, eddiehead, spot on lads, exactly what I was eventually getting around to posting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Yes, and Stevie G says he doesn't dive. All players and managers are hypocrites. The fans us, we are worse than any of them. Liverpool fans giving out socks about Ronaldo and Drogba diving but its fine when Captain Stevie does it. We are all hypocrites.

Xavi, Bubs, eddiehead, spot on lads, exactly what I was eventually getting around to posting.

i understand that and all, your original post didnt seem to convey that...

Only Terry could muster up a 2 page debate on what is a nothing situation.
    40 posts per page ftw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

worst comment ever.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

hahahaha terry. it isnt nice is it?
    anything bad that happens to john terry im in favour of. damn the no insulting rule on this forum :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Never thought of it getting carried into the semis if he got booked in the 2nd leg.Guess thats good so.And that explains why the barca defender got his stupid yellow aswell..Its all clear now:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭pierrot

Bubs101 wrote: »

J.T. is an honest good man for 22 and a half hours of the day

Cheated on his wife 9 times (allegedly)

Advertisement