Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sending MMS

Options
  • 09-04-2009 11:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭

using an SMS gateway - clickatell,

They mention sending MMS works by sending an SMS with the mms url, then it uses WAP etc..... my question: where is this .mms file stored? on my server?
    would it be possible to generate this file on the fly with php?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

Normally the MMS is submitted to your carrier who transfers it using an MMS related protocol to the receiver's carrier.

You can send the sms directly, but whether the recipient can retrieve the content depends on the recipient's MMS phone application and carrier. I don't know the typical setup for Irish carriers anymore, try nowmms trial and experiment?

If the recipient is not blocked from retrieving the content from your IP then it is possible to generate the content using dynamically generated PHP.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

There's also an opensource smsgateway called kannel.

I'm only trying to get used to it now and it is a bit tricky to setup. NowSMS is much easier to use but is costly if you want to go past the 60 day trial.

You can also use nowsms with clickatell, so it's a good way to get examples of the http requests that you need to submit

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

basically the wap push will charge the recipient, wont it ?
    does no sms have a service where we can pay for the mms and the customer gets the pic message for free?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Placebo wrote: »
    basically the wap push will charge the recipient, wont it ?
    does no sms have a service where we can pay for the mms and the customer gets the pic message for free?

I think it may depend on the wap push message. e.g. a wap push si can have a data charge to the customer if they go to the link, however other types of wap push message don't have this charge as they send the data with the message.

I'm currently testing ota provisioning via wap push and haven't noticed any charge on my phone, but I'm not sure how it works for mms as I haven't tested it.

How does it work with phone to phone mms? Is there a charge to the receiver in that instance as I'd assume they are the same?

Advertisement