Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sports Photography

• 09-04-2009 11:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭

Hi
    Anyone know of any good sports photography crowds in dublin?
    A rival team said they used a crowd called sportingsnaps.com

Anyone else used them?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

The two biggest sports photography agencies are Inpho and Sportsfile.

Outside of those, there are plenty of photographers here on boards who cover sports on a regular basis, myself included.

That site you listed is for the US only, according to their website.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭irish147

Paulw wrote: »
    The two biggest sports photography agencies are Inpho and Sportsfile.

Outside of those, there are plenty of photographers here on boards who cover sports on a regular basis, myself included.

That site you listed is for the US only, according to their website.

Here in Ireland we dont have too many sports agencies :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

Forsaken1 wrote: »
    www.sportingsnaps.com

Anyone else used them?

Thats actually quite a good idea. Is there anything similar here in Ireland I wonder?? You could imagine underage soccer and football teams etc. would avail of this service, especially the parents.

Ballyman wrote: »
    Thats actually quite a good idea. Is there anything similar here in Ireland I wonder??

None that I'm aware of (or could find online in a quick Google search).

It could be an interesting business, depending on the requirements and possible business. With the recent budget changes, money might be a bit tight.

Still, there's enough sports photographers here on boards, who could cover for each other and maybe even make a little money from it.

There certainly is.

We also need a web designer to ppop up a site. I would imagine something similar to sportssnaps one would be pretty easy to do if you knew what you were doing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Perfect fit

i could build the website!

Good man. I'll see if I can register a website for it.

There's probably more money in covering club/local games than covering the larger games, due to the fact that Sportsfile and Inpho tend to cover the big games and supply to the national papers.

This could be an interesting prospect, especially since most local sport is late evenings or weekends.

So, who's gonna run the business?? LOL. I'll certainly contract out my services. :D

I'll run it!! :) I'll need a hand though so how about me, Paul and Tommy from Perfectfit giving it a bash??

I've sent Tommy a PM about the website so waiting for him to get back to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭City-Exile

A rival team said they used a crowd called sportingsnaps.com

That website says they only cover events in the US.
    Are your rivals taking the mick?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭opti76

id be interetsed in making money from this venture.

please forward me all your bank account details and sort codes..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

My redundancy has given me the opportunity to start the agency sooner than expected ;)

kensutz wrote: »
    My redundancy has given me the opportunity to start the agency sooner than expected ;)

Well if you need anyone to cover horse racing or anything else for that matter in Kildare for your agency then let me know.

My rates are very very low ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Moving this into the General Forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 706 ✭✭✭OnLooker

There's probably more money in covering club/local games than covering the larger games, due to the fact that Sportsfile and Inpho tend to cover the big games and supply to the national papers.

This could be an interesting prospect, especially since most local sport is late evenings or weekends.

So, who's gonna run the business?? LOL. I'll certainly contract out my services. :D

Definitely more money in local GAA games in Dublin. I normally cover 2/3 every week. It will really get going in the next few weeks with evening games. We have a great mix of sports on boards as well. Mostly all the main sports covered.

I know I keep saying it, but I must get to a GAA game sometime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

I have been covering schoolboy football and local GAA games nearly every weekend for about 5 years - theres not a lot of money in it !!!

if anyone is interested in covering some football games at weekends (Dublin) drop me a PM and we can discuss details.

PCPhoto wrote: »
    I have been covering schoolboy football and local GAA games nearly every weekend for about 5 years - theres not a lot of money in it !!!

True that there's not a lot of money in it, but there is more money in it than trying to get images to the national papers, or even local papers at times. Clubs and players would pay as good, if not better, for good photos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

not in times of a recession....people are not willing to spend €15-20 for a pic of their little kid in action.

and clubs have enough troubles getting kids to pay script and insurance every year.

if anyone is interested in covering some football games at weekends (Dublin) drop me a PM and we can discuss details.

I sent you a PM about this.

• Advertisement

I'm be in Parnell Pk this Sunday for the Dublin vs Westmeath game if anyone wants to come along. Have to say, I make a good few bob by selling images to clubs in Dublin. I am well in with the GAA circles in Dublin so it's probably a little easier for me.

Alot depends on the paper you get in with as well.

OnLooker wrote: »
    I'm be in Parnell Pk this Sunday for the Dublin vs Westmeath game if anyone wants to come along.

I'd head in with you again Chris but I'm heading to kerry this weekend unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Ballyman wrote: »
    I'd head in with you again Chris but I'm heading to kerry this weekend unfortunately.

Nothing wrong with Kerry :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

Went shooting a hockey match last weekend. First time actually. Wasnt really happy wt my photos! And forgot to use AI Servo!

Onlooker, weather depending I might tag along. Will PM u to get some details.

PCPhoto, I'm really interested to get involve. Will PM u soon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭one2one

Are beginners allowed? I am really new to Sports photography but would love to learn!

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭eeyore2502

Would love to get out with someone experienced but this weekend doesn't suit.

I take pictures for the local rugby club and all the lads are impressed with them but I feel better can be done, I know it takes time as I am only doing it since December but having someone pointing you in the right direction always helps.

I can probably take one person with me to a football game, for experience. Nothing this weekend, but send me a PM and I'll see what I can do for the next game. (North Dublin)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Forsaken1

Hi
    I got in touch with the Sportingsnaps.com guys they are from Dublin, Ireland and are planning to rebrand their site for the irish market.

They did say they would need irish photographers but they would contract based on fixed fees.

I told them I'd do the website amendments for them.

• Advertisement

Hi
    I got in touch with the Sportingsnaps.com guys they are from Dublin, Ireland and are planning to rebrand their site for the irish market.

They did say they would need irish photographers but they would contract based on fixed fees.

They're a VERY new company. Their domain was setup in Nov 08, and registered to a guy in Lucan. WHOIS is a brilliant tool. :D

So, while they may be in Ireland, their website is purely geared towards the US. - "# All bookings accepted for events within the US only. "

Can't seem to find any reviews of them, or any comments. I've asked a few US photographers I know, and none have heard of this company. Maybe I'm just too suspicious.

Maybe we should just setup our own agency!! :D:D

We had around 20 lads in Croker the last day, alot more than Inpho & Sportsfile!

Plenty of lads who work in the web/software industry to get a website up & running.

Maybe we should just setup our own agency!! :D:D

We had around 20 lads in Croker the last day, alot more than Inpho & Sportsfile!

Plenty of lads who work in the web/software industry to get a website up & running.

Of course we should. I'm game ball to help out/run/market something like this. I have no web design skills though :( You wanna throw something together Chris?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

I'm sure there's quite a few who have contacts on the media side too,Would be a cool thing to do,I'm too far from dublin though :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

Interesting... I am no webmaster or programmer... But u definitely need an accountant for the agency, would u? :p

mart_max wrote: »
    Interesting... I am no webmaster or programmer... But u definitely need an accountant for the agency, would u? :p

I'd be up for that, you can use Spitfire, like on my web site.. thats use by all the top agencies now-a-days.... A newspaper can set up acc's and download images via lightbox etc.... full res....

• Advertisement

I am no webmaster or programmer... :p

I am both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 GaryMc

Sounds like a very interesting idea, i have experience running website from an application point of view so could help out that way, I also take the odd photo too ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Gambler

Interesting... I am no webmaster or programmer... :p
    I am both.

Ditto, Also run my own company already so happy to at least give some advice\support getting it up and running and sorting out all the legal and company setup stuff.

Gambler wrote: »
    Ditto, Also run my own company already so happy to at least give some advice\support getting it up and running and sorting out all the legal and company setup stuff.
    yes--- have to look at the legal side of this project.......

Gambler prepare for a bombardment of pm's from me :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Gambler

Hehe no problem Ken ;)

All sounds good.

I think the easy part of all this is the taking photos. The hard part is the business/legal side, which is very important.

But, sounds like a very good project and prospect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Dodgykeeper

The best way for this to proceed is for someone to grab the bull by the horns, I am not in a position to do this but from what I heard there is somebody!

I think if and when we got the legal side of things out of the way, it could go from strength to strength.

Ok, very important question - what will the agency be called??? Need something catchy. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

How about : Compu-Global-Hyper-Mega-Net ... or NotSportsfile.com :D

DGP (Damn Good Photographers) :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

BTTR (Better than the rest) :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Most of these things are 10% photography and 90% business so this is something to bear in mind

• Advertisement
Advertisement