Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sony Ericsson W890i issues

• 09-04-2009 11:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 33

I wonder if anyone could tell me if they've experienced similar with their SE w8901 or is it just my phone!

When I go to take a photo, if I try to zoom in I get a message saying "Zoom not possible in this mode". However if I try to take a video the camera has no problems zooming in. I would have expected it to perhaps be the other way around and find it odd that there is no zoom option for a photo. I don't know if it's my memory playing tricks on me but I was pretty sure I used to be able to zoom for photos? Can it really not be done??

Another problem is I find the handset volume very low for speakerphone, walkman and ring tones even when I've turned it up to the top volume. Is this an issue with all of these phones? Any other SE's I've had before were much louder.
    It also enjoys turning itself on and off regularly but I tried someone's tip on here for turning it to GSM network only so hopefully that'll work.

I would send it off for repair but not sure how successful it'd actually be. Have never had such a pain in the head with another sony ericsson and I've noticed how this particular model has plummeted in price recently (of course after I bought it!)

I'd appreciate any feedback!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

i always just assumed you couldn't zoom for photos, didn't really bother me to be honest

I cannot wait to get rid of this phone. It's absolutely dreadful. Its latest trick is whenever i press any button on the phone, it takes a photo instead. i have hundreds of photos of my desk at work.

most other times, the buttons refuse to work, which is really fun when I'm getting a call. i have to smack the phone off my desk to get it to work.

the turning itself on and off trick is a hoot too :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,250 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

TheKat wrote: »
    this particular model has plummeted in price recently (of course after I bought it!)

I'd appreciate any feedback!

[/quote]

I don't know a work around for the zoom in the camera, same thing on a k770i... seems very strange....there must be a workaround..

kat you'll be happy to hear the w890 is now back up to €149 in the shops..

both yere phones have problems and need to go for repair, they should not be doing what you descible but a lot of sonys & samsungs seem to suffer the same problems...it's a pity because there nice phones..

@op, banging your phone off the desk could damage it and your warranty will be up in smoke...send it off and get it sorted..;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,922 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 TheKat

This post has been deleted.

I thought I'd tried everything but apparantly not! Thanks for that Captain Morgan. I don't even know what VGA stands for but it does zoom in that mode!

Roar, your phone sounds 45 times worse than mine. Though I love the idea of hundreds of photos of your desk. Have you tried turning off 3G (Settings - Connectivity - Mobile networks - GSM/3G networks)? Read that on here this morning and so far it hasn't turned off yet .... a few hours, that must be a record!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

TheKat wrote: »
    I thought I'd tried everything but apparantly not! Thanks for that Captain Morgan. I don't even know what VGA stands for but it does zoom in that mode!

Roar, your phone sounds 45 times worse than mine. Though I love the idea of hundreds of photos of your desk. Have you tried turning off 3G (Settings - Connectivity - Mobile networks - GSM/3G networks)? Read that on here this morning and so far it hasn't turned off yet .... a few hours, that must be a record!

VGA = 640 x 480 resolution.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,250 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Roar wrote: »

the turning itself on and off trick is a hoot too :mad:

Roar did you try updating the software from the sony site, it fixed the same problem I had with a w910i, download the app and follow the instructions....back up your phone (pictures and contacts) and make sure it's fully charged...

http://www.sonyericsson.com/cws/support/softwaredownloads/detailed/updateservice/w890i

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

Simple solution (if the function is available on the w890 as I have never used one). When you take a photo press options, then go to 'pan and zoom'. This will enable you to zoom in then save the picture. This will not override the original picture. Hope this helps.

Advertisement