Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Which lens for my Nikon D40

• 09-04-2009 11:25am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭

I knocked my Nikon D40 on the floor last weekend. The camera body is ok but the lens is damaged. The only Nikon-authorised repair place I've come across is in Meath - I have to ring them today for a quote.

I was just wondering would it be a better idea to replace my 18-55mm lens altogether? I use my camera primarily for taking photos of dogs and cats for our rescue group so I think I could use a lens with a longer zoom, say 18-105mm or even 70-300mm? The reason being, getting up close with the camera makes a lot of the animals uncomfortable and nervous, and this comes across in the photo. If I can move back from the animal, all the better.

I have a couple of different options and I don't know much about lenses so I'd really appreciate some advice! Here are the options I've come up with so far:

Buy a replacement 18-55mm Nikon lens, approx. cost €190

- Buy a Sigma 70-300mm lens as well as having the existing lens repaired or replaced - cost of the Sigma lens, €269. (But I know Sigma aren't great.)

- Buy a Nikon 70-300mm lens at a whopping cost of €575! But if/when I upgrade to a D70 or D80 or even D90 the lens will work with those models too

One alternative to the 70-300mm lens would be the Nikkor 18-105mm lens, which costs about €300 new. Maybe that'd be a bit more versatile and suited to my needs? I don't need an extremely long zoom.

There's a "nearly-new" 18-200mm Nikon lens for sale on ebay.ie at the moment for €310.

Help! :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,508 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I have the Nikon 18-105mm lens which I think would be ideal for you, there's one for sale on adverts.ie for Eur 200 at the moment, I have no connection to the seller.

Click on the 'Photographic Equipment' link, the 18-105mm is currently on page 2, look for '200' in the price column and you'll find it. Lower down on the same page there's a Nikon 70-300m for sale for 300.

http://www.adverts.ie/

Incidentially this forum is for post processing (mainly Photoshop questions) whereas your query really should be in the general photography forum which gets a lot more readers, if a mod. is looking can I suggest this post be moved?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I don't know why you think that Sigma are not good. They make some fine lenses. As you are shooting for the web, then the quality is probably not much of an issue.

All the lenses you have listed will also work on all the Nikon DX bodies (D50 D60 D70 D80 D90 D200 D300)

The kit lens is probably not worth repair as the cost will be a substantial part of a replacement. It would seem that the 18 - 105 may be the best choice. There are quite a few Nikon fit lenses on Adverts.ie at present.

Have a look at this 55-200 lens for €100

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

CabanSail wrote: »

I've got a D40 and I just bought the VR version of that lens brand new from a dealer on eBay for about E190 after VAT and import. Very pleased with it and it's got a fairly compact barrel. Only problem now is that I really want a bigger zoom.

Advertisement