Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Workplace advice

Options
  • 09-04-2009 11:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

i recently got laid off work with a few other people from a company...not everyone got redundancy but I did...they let me go because there wasn't enough work for me there...my job was given to another person along with their own work, now this other person is leaving because they found another job...they have asked back one of those people that got laid off with no redundancy...they will be doing my old job because it is getting very busy now there...my question is, is this fair or right that some one is now doing my job there while i have no job and was let go becuase it wasn't busy enough..please give me some advice, thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's not nice but in reality I don't see a problem with it.

In order for someone to be made redundant, the company needs to show that their position was no longer required. In your case, they did this by assigning your work to someone else - thereby eliminating your position. When the person in the other position left, your position didn't reappear, your position was still gone.
    The guy who's been called back hasn't been asked to fill your position*, but has been asked to fill the position which the other guy left behind.

*I assume - if they've actually created two new positions when the other guy left, then you may actually have a case

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

There are also time limits on when you can go back to working for a company after being made redundant. This may have affected the decision

Advertisement