Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lay-Offs in Carrick-on-Shannon

Options
  • 09-04-2009 11:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭

Cora Systems a Software Development and IT Services Company based in Carrick-on-Shannon has laid off 10 employees in a "Company Rationalisation Plan". Circa 45% of all employees.

50% of employees across the company were laid off except for the Management Team, which included Research and Development, Professional Services and Sales Staff. Some of these people moved back home within the last 12 months with their families.

None of the people who have being made redundant feel that there is any hope of securing any employment in the North West.

It is then strange that these lay-offs have not being deemed news worthy as no agency has made this public.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

Thoughout the first 2 months of the year, 1200 people lost their jobs every weekday. RTE would have the occassional story about "150 jobs lost in...", completely blanking the fact that another 1050 jobs also went that same day. In a county this small they're shocking figures, but apparently the media thinks reporting on the occassional big factory closure is enough. The government has had a very soft ride from the media for the last decade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭leitrim lad

i have said it before in other posts but in leitrim we are a very small nation, around 23-24k population like a big parish, everyone knows everyone,
    and those 10 jobs will affect about 150 people on the broader scale,

i also heard and i am open to correction that masonite could go any day now, and mbna could wind down its operation by 75% in carrick aswell, anyone else hear similar rumors, i might be a bit out on the figures, but word of mouth says its in the air.

however on the jobs front i will be hiring in the months between now and christmas, it will be about another month - 6 weeks before it is official, but i intend on taking on upto 100 persons with various skills, in engineering,quantity surveying, accounting, and so on,

it will be a trail basis, for the first year, and then it will be upto 100 people, there also may be a call center

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭dontclickonthis

hi leitrim lad

will your jobs be in the observer?

yes and the post, in about 4 -6 weeks, they will tun for 2 weeks ,and for the first batch of people i will be looking for skilled personell as they say, if the plan goes to plan, after that first batch we should be looking to employ the ordinary leaving, junior cert leitrimers
    and its in the general carrick area, i will probably post something up here aswell

are you aloud to mention ur company now?

• Advertisement

not all that sure, but im starting a new tread about the cost and availability of employing a legel rep (solicitor)full time in leitrim area

also if i post the company name it will leak, and i will be hounded with friends who may or may not be of any use to me looking for work that they may not be suited to, so i think i will leave it for the few weeks

but i can rell you we are already a going concern

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Already a "Going Concern"? I'd be hoping so..... :(

yip around in years ,and im not one of the local "builder tycoons" there a dying breed,

i did however take the advice of several chartered accountants, an economist and enterprise ireland, and the 2 companies that i will be expanding will be based on something that you need every day,

almost recession proof

but i have to get the right few people with the qualifications i require first ,before i can put the expansion in action,

is it true that the hardware place beside tesco is closing aswell

Looking for a investor? Because you have me hooked on "recession proof"

I wish you the best of luck in your expansion, what ever it is!! But can't help but say id be a little skeptical.

But once your a self believer in what ever your doing that's all that matters!:)

ya thanks ,there are certain things that people need in good and bad times, so some businesses are recession proof,

i could have done it in kildare, but the difference in things like wages, and running costs, makes at home in leitrim about 50% cheaper overall, and no offence to the people of kildare , but they expect too much from a job, not alone just the work and wages but they expect, you to wash cloth and feed them, aswell as tuk them in at night,

at home there are a stronger breed of people who are more productive at les cost, and the people of leitrim dont go on strike every time they see a rain cloud,

o ya i wont be employing union members , and with good reason

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭becah

It's terrible to hear of such redundancies and job losses in Leitrim, I don't live in Leitrim but my family do and run a business there, I think Carrick is a great town with so much going for it, I go down as much as I can, it's a great place.

However, I'm of the opinion that talking about rumours of places closing down is really of no help to such a small local economy, e.g. "75% of MBNA to close down", if I recall correctly, people have been saying it's to shut for the past 12 months or so and still no sign of it to close, in fact I've heard they've been hiring a lot recently!!

I really think that mentioning and spreading such rumors is really detrimental to the success of a local business, especially in these hard economic times, ideally what we should be doing is trying to support our local businesses as much as we can and try to be more positive, instead of this "I heard so and so is gone bust/about to close down/banks are closing in etc etc" attitude.

This is not directed at anyone personally btw, it's just I'm so sick of heading to Carrick at the weekends and all I hear is so-and-so is closing/broke etc and it being total lies!

Sorry, rant over, and good luck LeitrimLad with your new venture, it's great to hear of new start-ups in this current climate.

thanks very much becah

and i also agree with you about the doom and gloom , and im sick of it i know i mentioned some myself in this post, but no matter where you go in the county or for that the country
    its the same story johnny down the road went banktupt and he owed so and so ,so much money, you never hear about the good stories ,and before anyone shouts me down ,there are some good stories out there,

when i first started trading myself, i was 16, i came from a farming background, and no one had a good word to say about me or my company,

im now in my early/mid20s and i would safely say i am the only businessman in my parish who will survive this depression, and all the begrudgers and property tycoons havent a pot to pee in,

the tables have turned and i can now look down my nose at them, and i would also support and maybe co invest with anyone who wishes to start a viable business in the county that would create employment for the ordinary joe soap.

and on the begrudgers and gosipers ,they all got a hop when i arived back to my parish with what i did, none of them with all their bad mouthing taught i was as big as i was company wise, and i am no way big headed , i never forgot my roots, there was even rumors going around last year that i myself was gone bust and lost all to a bank, but i can tell you now that i was never a strong,

the tables have turned and i can now look down my nose at them, and i would also support and maybe co invest with anyone who wishes to start a viable business in the county that would create employment for the ordinary joe soap.

Hi if your serious about supporting a new biz i know a young guy about 23-24 who has started a biz or several for that matter hes into everything from IT to machinery could be worth talking to!!

He's from Leitrim but not to sure where abouts know him through my brother who works for him the odd time, Now saying that maybe he go mad that I would even sujest that he needs help but a bit of advice might be useful to him or maybe you would have sum contacts!

is that by coincidense that he is in to a bit of it and everything else even machinery, as i have similar trades on the cards aswell,
    can you tell me where in leitrim he is from, and yes if he had a good idea i would be interested in helping put the plan into action, i would prefer to be like a silent shareholder,

Well i don't no if its coincidence as I don't know what your into, I know this lad could be knee high in $hite one day and the next he could have a suit on heading for the airport, my brother is in IT and like i was saying he works for him the odd day, my bro is liven with me at the mo so when he gets in I ask him were he's frm im in Ck by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭ddoom

Well, at least some good news for the area, well done Leitrim lad, I hope that things come together as you have planned. Good luck with your endeavours.

Also, glad to see that non-degree people will be given a chance, I do not have a degree myself but have over 20 years experience, I am finding that this experience is of no consequence in my pursuit of new employment even though I have hired, trained and managed people with degrees for years.

Lastly, I strongly agree with beach, speculative information, especially in relation to job losses, etc is damaging, in particular to the people who work for the companies that are mentioned and this type of hear-say really should not be discussed unless there is a proven basis of truth behind it and in these times this truth will only come from either the employees of the company itself.

agreed
    thanks ddoom lets hope it comes together and stays together

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

ddoom wrote: »
    Cora Systems a Software Development and IT Services Company based in Carrick-on-Shannon has laid off 10 employees in a "Company Rationalisation Plan". Circa 45% of all employees.

50% of employees across the company were laid off except for the Management Team, which included Research and Development, Professional Services and Sales Staff. Some of these people moved back home within the last 12 months with their families.

None of the people who have being made redundant feel that there is any hope of securing any employment in the North West.

It is then strange that these lay-offs have not being deemed news worthy as no agency has made this public.

Too small, as others have said, no one cares... About ten companies a day are going to the wall...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

I suppose people keep talking about these closures and potential closures as a way of dealing with the fear. In a place like Leitrim (or Sligo, Roscommon etc.) there really is nowhere to go if you lo your job. Somewhere like Dublin, there's always the chance something will turn up, but if something like MBNA or Masonite shut, Leitrim wouldn't generate enough jobs in the next five years to employ the people left jobless.

The government need to encourage more small business, especially home based and focussed on things like food and artisans. A whole tourist industry could be built around small industries producing cheese, beer, ice-cream, hats, knitwear, pottery etc. Make the north west a trail of niche producers and assist with marketing and export.

Ireland can't compete in large industry, consumer electronics or tele-services. At least a guy making organic ice-cream in Kiltubrid or wooly jumpers in Cloone isn't going to shut up shop and relocate to the Ukraine because he can cut wages. Just a thought.

i agree ilgatto

the other thread on the paint balling, thats a great idea for the area, which will attract people country wide to the area, and in the same time create jobs,

i also think we should take advantage of our land scape, i have seen other threads on other parts of this site saying how great an offroad stage would be for quads,jeeps,motorcross, or even a mock rally stage,

and we have all the basic essentials to open the likes of this in the county, i might consider it myself, or even i would co-invest in something like this with someone else from the area,

another thing we have is our history and monuments dotted all over the county, like shemore ,shebeg(burial place of fionn mc cuall) dolmens,mines, canals ,lakes,shannon, wouldnt an organised tour of the county be a great holiday for some yank or aussie looking to trace their ancestors,

and a water sports facility on one of our many lakes, rivers, again i would be interested on any ideas on the following which would create low skilled jobs for the ordinary joe soap, and attract outside money to the local community,

we have all these natural resources at our feet and we need to exploit them, in a good way

• Advertisement
Advertisement