Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finishing and doing a new undergrad course.

Options
  • 09-04-2009 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭

Apologies if I'm posting in the wrong place

I'm currently studying Arts in NUIG but would have loved to study the politics course in NUIM.

Essentially what I'm asking is, what is the story with studying a different course while you have a degree? I went to secondary school in Belgium so I'm really ignorant of how things work here in Ireland. Would I be able to study a new undergrad course when I get my B.A?

I got a fairly high number of points in my Baccalaureate and Maynooth offered me a scholarship the first time around (they were my second choice), so would this mean I wouldn't have to pay fees if I did a new course after completing my B.A?

Any information at all is extremely welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Apologies if I'm posting in the wrong place

I'm currently studying Arts in NUIG but would have loved to study the politics course in NUIM.

Essentially what I'm asking is, what is the story with studying a different course while you have a degree? I went to secondary school in Belgium so I'm really ignorant of how things work here in Ireland. Would I be able to study a new undergrad course when I get my B.A?

I got a fairly high number of points in my Baccalaureate and Maynooth offered me a scholarship the first time around (they were my second choice), so would this mean I wouldn't have to pay fees if I did a new course after completing my B.A?

Any information at all is extremely welcome.

Talk to Maynooth.:) Generally free fees only apply for your first undergrad degree. If you enrol on a course at the same level of qualification that you already hold, then you are liable for fees afaik.

If you can afford the fees theres no limit on the number of undergrad courses you can do but maybe you could look at doing a post-grad course in Politics. Have a look at qualifax for more information. http://www.qualifax.ie
    I think UCD has a selection of Masters in Politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Affording the fees would be a bit tight for me, I'm not too up on how third level works but are there scholarship opportunities in Ireland at all (I got a scholarship from NUIG and heard that while it's largely ceremonial here, in the past it would have meant an exemption from paying fees the following year)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Affording the fees would be a bit tight for me, I'm not too up on how third level works but are there scholarship opportunities in Ireland at all (I got a scholarship from NUIG and heard that while it's largely ceremonial here, in the past it would have meant an exemption from paying fees the following year)

Look at http://www.studentfinance.ie. It has a section dealing with Scholarships under the 'Other Finance' section. Also talk to admissions and /or the faculty head of the college where you wish to study. Most unis have scholarship programmes but what benefit you receive can vary greatly.

Advertisement