Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finding Skirt Steak

• 09-04-2009 12:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭

Okay, I know it's out there, I've gotten it before. But my local butcher's let me down and can't source it. Anyone know where I could get inside skirt steak in Dublin? Or, failing that, hanger?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭rocknchef

there is a butchers at the henry street end of moore street I would try there very good they nearly sell every piece of the Animal with all the different nationalitys living in and around the city centre.

think its FX Buckleys?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

I would have thought so as well, though they're the far side of the city from me - but I remember going looking for it there once and no luck :(
    Maybe I'd have to order it specially? But it's the cheapest cut of meat going!

what are you planning to make out of it?

Proper fajhita. Marinade overnight in lime, oil, soy, liquidised garlic&onions&chillis, then straight onto a hot pan for about two or three minutes, then rested and sliced across the grain and served.

Rump would nearly do the same for you once you marinate it over night to brek it down.

thats got me hungary now:pac:

• Advertisement

Rump isn't nearly as good rock, it doesn't have the grain structure so it doesn't marinade as well. And if you marinade it enough to break it down, it goes all mushy but skirt keeps a little chewiness. Flank steak is what I'd usually substitute, but I found a butcher in Bray a while back that did skirt and that was so much better. But in Dublin, I can't seem to find anyone who does skirt :(

Hey sparks I was reading last night that a little passion fruit juice tenerises tough meat in about 10mins

You sure that wasn't a euphamism? :D

There is an enzyme in things like papya that breaks down meat fibres; there might be some in passion fruit I guess. But you don't want meat soup for fajhitas, you want tangy but chewy...

that piece of info wasnt for your fajita it was just something I was reading last night

Ah, right, with you now. Might be good in a fruity curry, that...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,054 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Sparks wrote: »
    You sure that wasn't a euphamism? :D

There is an enzyme in things like papya that breaks down meat fibres; there might be some in passion fruit I guess. But you don't want meat soup for fajhitas, you want tangy but chewy...

Pineapple too!
    Some Chinese restaurants do this. You know when you get beef and can see that it is large grained, coarse meat but is really tender with a strange texture? I think that's how they do it.

Advertisement