Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NAMA, who will they be and (more importantly) how big are their balls?

Options
  • 09-04-2009 12:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭

OK, so we will get this shiney new "bad bank" or NAMA thingy.

Their job description will be to squeeze the banks as hard as they can while negationg the value of their bad assets and then really go after the builders and other debtors to secure as much as they can of the loan value of those assets.

So basically their job will be to go hard on those people that the governement was soft on (or in cahoots with) for the last decade and a half.

In other words, their job is to upset all traditional friends of FF (the Galway tent people) and thus by proxy also most of FF itself.

Fine, I hear you say, they've had it coming ...and they have.

But who on Gods green little island will be capable of that task? FF appointees? ...Yeah right :D

The question is then ...who will sit on this NAMA board? Will we import some neutral, competent foreigners? Or will FF just appoint more of their cronies and this whole bad bank will turn out to be a toothles lion, loosing the taxpayer another fortune (possibly bankrupting the country in the process) while providing a relatively soft landing for the high-flying speculators?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Zynks

Good point there. Considering the size of this country it is more than likely that any local appointed will know someone that they have to chase, so impartiality may be compromised. But imagine the reaction if foreigners were asked to take the job...

I say bring in some fuddy mucker rootless American banker to oversee the debt collection job, and give him/her performance based bonuses.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

What I would like to know is how much will NAMA cost the Tax payer :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

peasant wrote: »
    The question is then ...who will sit on this NAMA board? Will we import some neutral, competent foreigners? Or will FF just appoint more of their cronies and this whole bad bank will turn out to be a toothles lion, loosing the taxpayer another fortune (possibly bankrupting the country in the process) while providing a relatively soft landing for the high-flying speculators?
    Do you even have to ask? The right question would be how much is the Irish state going to lose before the fiasco is over?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

They do have a good track record in our debt management but it depends on how much power they get from the as yet non-existent legislation. The CEO Michael Somers of the NTMA has been particularly scathing of banks and one would expect the same attention they apply to debt to be applied here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭ionix5891

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Welease

OK, so we will get this shiney new "bad bank" or NAMA thingy.

Their job description will be to squeeze the banks as hard as they can while negationg the value of their bad assets and then really go after the builders and other debtors to secure as much as they can of the loan value of those assets.

A minor point, but I doubt their job will be to "squeeze" the banks are hard as possible. If they do, then the banks won't have enough cash left to start loaning etc. (i.e. all the reason why the gov. are taking the toxic debts off their hands).. I'd imagine they are there to work on offloading the toxic assets at a reasonable value that helps the banks recapitalise while minimising the exposure of the tax payer.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

ionix5891 wrote: »

err ...not quite :D
    7.4 Who will be employed by NAMA?
    NAMA will be staffed by professionals whose objectives will be to maximise returns and like any commercial entity it will want loan agreements honoured in full and will take all necessary steps to extract value from its acquired loan book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭ionix5891

err ...not quite :D

sure all them unemployed bankers now gonna get a cushy public sector job :D

what could possibly go wrong :p

Welease wrote: »
    A minor point, but I doubt their job will be to "squeeze" the banks are hard as possible.

Correct ...wrong analogy. Nonetheless, NAMA will have to be tough and vigilant in their negotiations with the banks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Correct ...wrong analogy. Nonetheless, NAMA will have to be tough and vigilant in their negotiations with the banks.
    Want to buy a lovely red bridge from me?

• Advertisement

ionix5891 wrote: »
    sure all them unemployed bankers now gonna get a cushy public sector job :D

what could possibly go wrong :p

...there will also be five unemployed junior ministers bumbling around :D

Advertisement