Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RAID 1 Alternatives..

• 09-04-2009 12:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭

So..

RAID is an absolute pain..

I've given up on a RAID 1 (Mirror) array so now i'm looking for some alternative.

I have 2x1TB drives in Windows now and would like some software to do mirroring for me..

The 2 options I have discovered so far:

Use a backup program like SyncBack to backup select files/folders as specified times (shutdown time)

Use a program like Microsoft Robo Copy to mirror files/folders.. You can type a command in to select a folder and mirror it to a different location. This would be handy because you could include this in a batch file and have it run at shutdown time.

Has anybody a setup like this.. I'm looking for suggestions for a reliable backup system now that RAID is not currently an option for me:mad:

Thanks..

EDIT: The reason for abandoning RAID is becasue there seems to be a problem with my setup. I first thought it was a hard drive but I think it's the RAID controller, ICH9R ..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

Why not add anothing 1TB drive onto that and use RAID5?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

If the disk with System on it (i.e. Boots), you need a "HW" RAID card for RAID 5 boot. It's fine for extra disks.

What is wrong with the RAID1?

RAID and automated backup are solutions to different issues. Really you need both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭techguy

watty wrote: »
    If the disk with System on it (i.e. Boots), you need a "HW" RAID card for RAID 5 boot. It's fine for extra disks.

What is wrong with the RAID1?

RAID and automated backup are solutions to different issues. Really you need both.

I understand that but at the minute I can't implement a RAID array..

I'm just wondering what software would would do the same..?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

I completely agree about RAID, by introducing RAID you dont really add an extra point of redundancy, you add a extra point of failure (i.e. the RAID itself, whether hardware or software). Had to reinstall a server for 16 hours because the RAID messed up.

I always thought that there should have been an easier way to do backup. I mean at the end of the day it all breaks down to 1s and 0s, yet if you wish to do a server restore with most software (Arcserve, Backup Exec) you have a 16 page document on how to do it.

Is there no software out there that will do the equivalent of a partition image onto a tape?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Partition Magic.

Backups are primarily for Human error (deleting stuff you shouldn't etc)

RAID is primarily for high availability Redundancy and requires more expertise to deploy wisely. It doesn't protect against user error at all.

There is even Backup SW built into Windows.

It can be automatically scheduled, and nowadays supports alternate disk and network shares as well as tape.

Start -> Run -> type ntbackup

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

If its actual redundancy you're looking for, for a critical system, you should look into RAID 5 or 10.

A simple mirror really isn't good enough, especially not on a sub par chipset.

You could go and get yourself a RAID card, or indeed get a mobo with better raid support.

By any chance is there a maximum drive size allowed for a mirror on matrix storage controller with ICH9r? I haven't checked this myself, but that could be the issue.

Also, updating to the latest matrix drivers may help (but I doubt it).

If its merely security of data not being lost you're looking for - actively backing up is your best best rather than a RAID 1 mirror.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

Why not use Windows RAID?

Although it now sounds like you're looking for backup rather than redundancy, and as pointed out above, RAID is not a backup solution.

FruitLover wrote: »
    Although it now sounds like you're looking for backup rather than redundancy, and as pointed out above, RAID is not a backup solution.

I'm aware that strictly speaking RAID 1 and backup are two different things. I'm looking for a backup type solution that would act like RAID 1 (mirror everything to another location)

I plan on having 1TB for storage and then another 1TB drive to mirror the first.. I mainly store Movies, TV etc so proper backup isn't really that necessary.

Whenever I work a project I just setup a backup profile for that folder..

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If its actual redundancy you're looking for, for a critical system, you should look into RAID 5 or 10.
    Raid 5 means you need a spare Raid card to be safe. If you loose two disks (Sod's law) it's very messy and expensive to recover data.

Mirroring means you can probably get your data back with any pc and only need to get data recovery on one disk if both fail at the same time.

Raid only protects you against Hard Drive Failures.

Another option would be to mirror the drive at intervals and then take it off line.

I suppose I could mirror it at intervals.. How would I go about taking it offline? Manually or via Windows?

I've just installed Robocopy and it seems good. I'll prob just make up some batch files to backup my important data at regualr intervals then mirror the other not so important files at not so regular intervals.

• Advertisement
Advertisement