Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Permanent House Swaps (Trade-In's)

Options
  • 09-04-2009 12:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Does anyone know of anyone who is considering swapping houses(part exchange etc....)

I was thinking there must be pople with houses they can no longer pay mortgages on and need to downsize and perhaps some people wishing to move up in size but cant sell their own propertys.

Perhaps people might consider swapping and paying difference on house values.

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

the problem with this is you are still liable for the cgt tax on the market value of the property regardless if cash has exchanged hands

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 eileen grace

How much is CGT, % wise?

I have been thinking about setting up a housing co-op as a mutual exhange mechanism for those of us stuck in the owner occupier rut? Any problem with doing that...legally i mean.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

No. 1- in order to owe CGT you have to have made a capital gain on the property. Its almost a given that any property purchased since 1997 now is below its initial purchase price and hence would not qualify for a gain.

You would have to pay stamp duty on the transaction- a flatrate 1%- and all exemptions (e.g. firsttime buyer etc) have all been removed from the equation.

I am closing this thread- as if you check the previous post on it was over 2 years ago. If you would like to open your own thread on this topic (or others) please do so- and the good folk who frequent this forum will be only too happy to help.

Regards,

SMcCarrick

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement